R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one more to consider is the futaba 3PJ...i know it's old but it does use a tx module which means it is spektrum and synthesized compatible...it has just about all the features that the new radios have except HRS. i've been thinking about a new radio for a year now but i paid $90 for the radio and receiver and just picked up a spektrum system for $80...can't beat that price...especially since i definitely won't notice the lakc of HRS and a few bells and whistles that i don't know how to use
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Here is another choice from my buddies over at www.truggyracers.com
Heard Nomadio has great customer service as well...
The Nomadio Sensor....I guess this is the best price but once they are gone...the discount is gone with it...

http://www.rcbuggyshop.com/

Scroll down they have a special you call in for....$279.99 for the Sensor...

I am only helping peeps find the best deal...
The Sensor isn't as comfortable as a Helios....IMHO
Plus I think the Helios is more estesicily pleasing to look at...

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking NOMADIO SENSOR

i drive left handed so i run a Nomadio Sensor.it was easy as pie to swap over to left hand,is light as, has all the bells and whistles and it is software based so it can be updated off the nomadio website as updates become available.
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why does everyone always recommend the super expensive radios? The number one answer it seems is that it "feels good in my hand." All I know is that for me $300 feels better in my wallet than in my hand.

Do any of you use any special high end features found on a particular radio that aren't found on a cheaper mid grade radio like a Futaba 3PM for example?
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

IMO you should buy a radio based on feel and your budget. I've had my M11 for a couple months now and only recently have i been playing with some of the features. If you have a tight budget, you can pick up a used M8 for an awesome price and that radio has more features then 95% of rc racers will ever need.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
Suspended

Is the radio for use in your Losi LST only? If so, why not just stick with that radio? I use the JR radio that came with my LST for that truck, and I use a KO Propo EX10 Helios for racing. All of the high end radios are great from all of the different manufacturers.
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

XS3 for my LST2.

The new radio would be for my buggy.
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysuleod
Why does everyone always recommend the super expensive radios? The number one answer it seems is that it "feels good in my hand." All I know is that for me $300 feels better in my wallet than in my hand.

Do any of you use any special high end features found on a particular radio that aren't found on a cheaper mid grade radio like a Futaba 3PM for example?
i had a 3pm, and now a 3pk. i like the pk beter, for 3 main reasons
1. it has the drop down (included) to make the radio more comfortable to hold.
2. the big screen tv is a lot easier to read, and i can put a lot of features (expo, timer, ect) right on the home screen. menu scrolling is so much easier when you can see what the name of the adjustment is on a backlit screen, intead of a 3 letter abreveation in the dark
3. upgrading to spektrum gives all these features, plus no crystals

granted, the pm is a pretty good deal (120 @ my lhs for tx & rx, 187 for synthesized) for the features that it comes with, i dont recall off the top of my head using anything the pk could do that the pm couldnt, besides spektrum, but the pk is just that more comfortable and easier to use.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #24
Suspended

Are you going to race the buggy or use it for bashing? Even for racing the JR XS3 that came with the LST is a great radio. Being that the XS3 is synthesized makes it easy to select a channel at the track.
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysuleod

Once ou stand up in the heat holding a plastic radio, like the XS3's or something, and then you hold an M11 or the Futaba's or the Helios radio, you'll understand the reason why. You will drive better if you are comfortable. If you are comfortable with an XS3 or similar, great. I am not and I don't try and force myself to be. I just get what's comfortable.

Beside's, he asked about those radio's.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I switched from using JR and Futaba radios a little more than a year ago. I went to a KO EX-1 mars and loved it , really comfortable and light . I just replaced that radio with a new EX-10 Helios . I think the comfort and feeling of the radio is the most important even if it has less features then others . Features don`t do any good if you can`t hold the controller good .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Heard there's been many cases of the M11 screen blacking out without warning & loss of control thereafter. Is that true ??.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My vote is the 3Pk. Very comfortable and balanced and perfect feel with the drop-down wheel that's included. The new 3PKS also has the vibrating handle that's really useful for nitro to know when to fill up.

The navigation menu is the best of the three (3PK, M11 and Hellios) in my opinion. With the direct select feature, you can get to any 8 pre-selected functions, like steering expo, throttle speed, etc., with just two buttons. And unlike the Helios and M11, it has a built-in failsafe when used in PCM or HRS (high-speed) mode.

It's also great value - the new ones are fully synthesized, has an HRS receiver and battery all included.
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Is any major manufacturer planning on releasing a new model in the next while?
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

i find the sensor easy to use,and its comfortable and light.being able to make it left handed is the main reason i run it.oh, and no crystals or problems.
the temperature sender feature is good too, i can just look at the screen to see what temp its running at or i can set a beeper to go off when it reaches a certain temperature.
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote