Wiki Posts
Search

MF2 diff ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default MF2 diff ???'s

I have checked, double checked, rechecked, and have had 2 others look at this diff.
When the diff is built, and then tightened, its like the outdrives lock up, but yet the diff gear spins easily, and wobles. I have bought all new parts (w/ the exception of the out drives (which appears to be ok)
I have built many diffs, but this MoFo is really getting under my skin.
Any sugestions anyone???
Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Hard to tell without looking but my guess would be you have an issue with the extension of the male outdrive half. If it is too long or there is something in the receess in the female half, that would cause the diff to bind.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Did you put the thrust bearings back in? Should ride between the screw head and the inside of the outdrive so it allows the screw to spin with the opposite half when it's tightened.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I know exactly what is wrong with your diff. You left your old bearing in the diff & when you put the new one in it won't let you tighten down the diff. Take a small hex driver and scrape down the inside of the diff from the outside going in untill you free up the bearing stuck in the cavity. You can rub q-tips over what you belive is the bottom of the cavity and it will reveal that bearing to you. If you believe that the bearing is still working fine then don't even both popping it out and just use it instead of the new one you purchased. When you stick two bearings in there it won't let you tighted the outdrives down on to the diff balls so you just grind un shimmed bearings on one another.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

I thought that about the male part being to long, and I looked at the hs and they looked the same (I had no way of measuring w/ me)

The thrust assembly was in there as well. I used the book and measured everything that had a mesurement in the book
Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
I know exactly what is wrong with your diff. You left your old bearing in the diff & when you put the new one in it won't let you tighten down the diff. Take a small hex driver and scrape down the inside of the diff from the outside going in untill you free up the bearing stuck in the cavity. You can rub q-tips over what you belive is the bottom of the cavity and it will reveal that bearing to you. If you believe that the bearing is still working fine then don't even both popping it out and just use it instead of the new one you purchased. When you stick two bearings in there it won't let you tighted the outdrives down on to the diff balls so you just grind un shimmed bearings on one another.
I will check it now.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

It wasnt it. I am at a loss lol. I cleaned it thouroghly like you caid and there wasnt even a sliver of a bearing in there. I will mess with it some more.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe far fetched, but is the screw strait?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

well for shits and giggles, since, at this point I was considering this junk, I ground down (very little) the nub on the male end outdrive, filed it strait and smooth it out....and it works!!??!!?? It actually diffs!!!!lol

The funny thing about this truck is
I got it from a friend that has been out of r/c for a few years. He bought the first one that came into town that year (as he did w/ everything) and he raced it a handfull of times on a carpet oval (in which he never had luck). The truck has sat untill a month or two ago and I aquired some of his things, this MF2 being one. I honestly think that was his problem with this truck, He got a early kit, had a slight QC issue (hard to believe) and being the idiot that he is, he never noticed any problems (you dont know this guy, he tried using his snap on tools to work on his r/c) I will pick up another set of outdrives and see if it builds up properly
Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Garth,
If I make it to "The Track" tomorrow and you are still having problems bring it over and I will check it out.
later
Dayton
Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1armed1
Garth,
If I make it to "The Track" tomorrow and you are still having problems bring it over and I will check it out.
later
Dayton
Cool, I will mess with it somemore tonight, and maybe Ill see ya tomarrow
Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

If we get the snow tonight they are calling for I won't be there.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by convikt
well for shits and giggles, since, at this point I was considering this junk, I ground down (very little) the nub on the male end outdrive, filed it strait and smooth it out....and it works!!??!!?? It actually diffs!!!!lol
Guess I was right.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta_man
Guess I was right.
didnt doubt you, it just seems as though something like that, should just be right (in a perfect little world,lol). thanks