R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Help a beginner ?

Hey guys, My brother got me started into RC racing 2 months ago and I picked up a Lossi MF2 used. We are running at a small indoor track in North Texas. I'm having fun with it, but I am already getting a bit frustrated with the problems associated with a 2 wheel drive electric truck.
There are a lot more tracks and racers here that are running 1/8 nitro buggy and monsters. The guys at the local track told me that truggy class is coming on strong. It looks like hell-o-fun and I am considering getting a 1/8 scale nitro truggy.
I am looking for some valuable input from 1/8 scale offroad racers on which direction that I should go. Start up cost is important to me, but not as much as being competitive and being able to readily get parts and upgrades.
Tips on class, brand, ENGINES, and RTR or kit would be greatly appreciated.
sturat5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74212

Personally I'd got for the Kyosho ST-R for the pro kit and the HPI Hellfire for RTR. For engines , I'd go OS ... the new prototype V-Specs at the Ifmar Worlds look rather nice!
budachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

8th scale off road bugies and truggies are generally pretty durable, and often very similar in design. Since you're already familiar with the hobby, and you plan to race, I'd suggest a kit. Your best bet is to pick up something that has good local parts support(that way you don't have to do what I'm doing right now, and that's waiting for mail order parts! )

So far, the Kyosho, the Mugen, and the Jammin are the big favorites. Pick up a magizine or two, you'll find that most racers are very pleased with these trucks. As for motors, it's tough to go wrong with O.S. I've had several, and they've all been very good to me. Rossi, RB, and Picco are some other good ones.

Have you decided on a radio? If not, I would strongly sugest something DSM(module or DX3, both are awsome if you've been dealing with crystals or even synthesized FM, nothing beats DSM, you just turn it on with confidence). I would also suggest high torque servos, for both throttle and steering. You don't have to pick up $250 in servos though, a decent JR590 will handle the throttle and brakes with ease, and a JR650 on steering does a great job(that's what I'm running with the DX3...love it! )

Also, ask the local racers what they've had the best luck with at the track you plan to run on. If they're anything like typical hobby guys, they'd love to talk your ear off with everything they know
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

I have seen some good deals on the jammin on ebay, but is this really a racers truggy or just a cheap way in?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to maxxman101

the jammin truggy is a racer all the way. cant go wrong with it.
maxxman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default newbie

for 1/8 scale its kinda tough right now with the new losi and the team associated on the way. there are so many brands names out now but honestly there really is only about five different buggies, as the parent company that manufactures them is selling the rights to companies to sell them under their name plate. i started with a swift which is now the RD Logics buggy and they now offer upgrades for them. not a bad car to start with at all i raced mine alot and its handles nice and was a great buy as for price. the only thing if you go with it it to get the alum. inner hinge pin braces front and rear. other than that upgrade your servos and throw it down. if you want something a little more i found my thunder tiger ttr sb3 on ebay factory sealed and got it for 350.00 bones. man what a great car it works well and fit and finish and the build is very easy. its also the same car that Ryan Maifield won the 1/8 nationals with recently. their truggy is really good as i have driven Ryans truuggy but i have 8 other cars so i dont really need a truggy. i have also seen some great deals for kyoshos on ebay as well. ebay is a great place to look for them since alot of people buy and cant get em set up or have trouble tuning the motors and give up on them and you can a very slightly used car for about half of buying brand new. if you get in to it make sure to take the time to learn how to tune and that will eliminate 70 % of frustrations. but they are fun and a bit easier to drive for club racing but more difficult to run with the best.

but am curious what type of issues you are having with your mf2? maybe can end some frustrations there and make it more fun for you.

good luck
octane3117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking about getting into 1/8th scale buggy and having a hard time decided what to do. Should I get an RTR and upgrade or the kit and go from there. I've looked long and hard at the Jammin X1 RTR, still can't decide. I enjoy building kits(alot of experience with electric stuff). But the kits are alot more expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

hey Hunter, Do you race at Mikes hobby shop?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The reason on why the Kits cost more is they are the Pro kits with all the hop ups, If you do go for the RTR just get the pro chassis braces and you should be good to go.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No, I don't race a Mikes.

XXXKAT, Thanks for the info. Still I think I'm gonna wait til next yeat for a new car. I live in Western NY and the snow will be here soon. Besides, maybe something new will be out by spring.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

I just bought a MF2 from a driver named Hunter at my local track, so I was just checkin...

I would like to hear from someone who has the new Mugen. Is it really that much better or just overpriced ?

You guys have been great help, and it is appreciated !
Old 09-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Another company to think about is CEN. That matrix buggy is really nice, and its RTR comes with a nice radio (MX3) on it and its servos put out good amount of torque (144oz). You get it RTR for under $400, and other than the hardened spur gear, not really much else you need to upgrade right away. Its also got some nice race wins on it too. And if you like to be different, its a hot way to go. They also have a truggy coming out too.

If you must trade out the engine (its a .26 so at some tracks they may be strict about the .21 rule. Usually, if its the RTR engine they don't mind but ask) you could go with a cheap OS .21 (think its the RG?) thats for around a 100 bucks.

Kits are nice to pickup so you can learn assembly, but I always dissassemble any thing I buy if its together to clean it up and fix, so if you do that then assemble, you have of what you would have gotten out of assembly in my opinion.

Personally since you are going 1/8 scale for the first time, start new if you can at least for the vehicle and engine. If however you are going to buy used, just make sure you keep in mind that no matter what the person says (especially if this is an ebay deal), think of the engine as a bonus. You never know what they did to those things and be prepared to buy what you want instead.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

stay electric! Can't race gas at Mike's
Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would only drive a hellfire if it was given to me, and I had a bottom-less bank account for parts. The ST-R is nice, but if the front diff is not shimmed EXACTLY perfect, good luck making an entire race weekend, even with the LSP ring gear and pinion. Other than that the truck is dialed. The CRT is about the best thing out on the market that is proven. I am waiting on more feedback on the moogen and the CEN. THe LSP is great for rough tracks, even as a RTR, and is pretty dang durable as well.
Rod
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatermaxx
I would only drive a hellfire if it was given to me, and I had a bottom-less bank account for parts. The ST-R is nice, but if the front diff is not shimmed EXACTLY perfect, good luck making an entire race weekend, even with the LSP ring gear and pinion. Other than that the truck is dialed. The CRT is about the best thing out on the market that is proven. I am waiting on more feedback on the moogen and the CEN. THe LSP is great for rough tracks, even as a RTR, and is pretty dang durable as well.
Rod
Well you know what they say about opinions...I know guys with Hellfire's and they did have a few problems at first but they have fixed the problems (HPI DID have a problem with the plastic from their supplier...this HAS been fixed) I have also heard of some guys breaking shock towers but this has been it. The LSP is not without it's problems as well, If my memory serves me...The plastic suspension mount holders broke very easily, the aluminum steering plate bent very easily, If you race anything you will have some problems. The stock CRT RTR has some "issues" as well...Stock chassis bend a bit on the easy side (with the stock plastic chassis braces) and that can cause gear mesh problems. Last time I checked the Kyosho ST-R is as race ready as the CRT Pro and so is the Mugen, The Best deal on a Pro level kit is the Hellfire SS...all the problems have been "Fixed". I have owned 3 of the truggys, The Hellfire, The LSP Pro and a CRT RTR so I can give an "honest" opinion on the 3. Anytime someone says a statement like "I would only drive a hellfire if it was given to me, and I had a bottom-less bank account for parts." and they do not have any information for the whys of the statement...I don't put much faith into the statement other than you don't like the product. On that note HPI DID understand that they had some issues with the truck and they stood up and corrected the problems, I was sent (FOR FREE) a full set of A arms and a new set of towers (I had not broken mine) Other than the A arms I have not broken anything. I have broken a "few" parts on my CRT as well...It just goes to prove that if you hit something hard enough you will bend or break something...
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote