R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Been out of rc cars for a while.

Hey, I was into rc cars like 4 years ago and now i wanna get back into it but i need some help. I want a electric car that could go 30 mph plus. I need to know what a good motor would be and stuff like that this is the car i wanna get.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHKX3&P=0

Any ideas on the parts i should get on it like electric speed controle ( i think its called that). Im just looking for a good motor thats about it.

Thanks,
Brent
brent567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

For just starting out, a good choice is to get the Specktrum DX3. It comes with the Transmitter, receiver, and two different servos. A good choice, and for not that expensive it is a pretty good deal. I personally run the M11 w/ the specktrum module. A good speedo would either be the LRP Quantam 2, or the Novak GTX (or the GTS, cheaper version of the X, but can run no lower than a 12turn motor). You could also run a brushless system with the Quantam sphere or GTB.

Mod motors are mod motors basically. From what I hear the Orion RC V2 is the best, although I have not run one in my T4. Look for around an 10-12turn motor no matter what type of motor you want to get.
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent567
Hey, I was into rc cars like 4 years ago and now i wanna get back into it but i need some help. I want a electric car that could go 30 mph plus. I need to know what a good motor would be and stuff like that this is the car i wanna get.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHKX3&P=0

Any ideas on the parts i should get on it like electric speed controle ( i think its called that). Im just looking for a good motor thats about it.

Thanks,
Brent
The Factory Team T4 is a great truck for racing. Are you looking to race or bash? This truck is awesome on the track and may be overkill if you are just planning on using it in your driveway. As far as making a car go 30 mph+, proper gearing is the key. I would say a strong 19 turn (Reedy Quad Spec, Trinity Komodo Dragon, Orion Element, Check Point Money 19, etc...) would pull the truck along at a decent speed. In terms of getting a solid electronic speed control (ESC), you have to think about your budget and motor choice. If money is not an issue and you plan to compete, then I would go with a Novak GTX, LRP Quantum 2 or 3, Tekin G11, or comparable. You could even go brushless (Novak 5800+, 7.5, 6.5, 5.5, 4.5R, Reedy Neo/Sphere). I guess it all depends on your budget and intentions. There are many different choices for you.

Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Im not gunna race or anything. Im just looking for a fast electric car and i dont know where to start or whats good. Im thinkin about getting the a novak motor and speed controle. thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Tech Regular

i say definately go brushless, if you get any non brushed motor you will start to see a power loss after the first 15 packs possibly less because you will more than likely be running for more than 5 min at a time building up excess heat. Since you are not racing you will have a hard time finding someone to cut the comm on the motor and make it new again. with a brushless there will be very minor maintenance (just oiling the bearings every now and then).

Since you are not gonna race a factory team t4 is a little overkill, i think your best bet would be the new brushless rtr by team losi. i am not sure if the motor will make 30 mph but i think it should be able to on the street. maybe someone else knows more about the motor.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0096

30 mph will be very hard to control in the dirt and unless it is a fairly smooth surface it will get tossed around, flip, get broken. if your looking for something to say i have the fastest car you should look into an onroad car, 9 times out of 10 if your racing your buddies it will be on the street anyways(since you just want to bash). No offroad car can touch an onroad car on the street as far as speed is concerned even with the same motors. offroad cars are designed to accelerate and to get around and over jumps and obstacles on an offroad track. Not to be the fastest r/c car.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks yea i kno 30 mph offroad would be hard to control. Its gunna be used on and offroad. thanks alot for all the post.

I think im gunna go with the team losi car u posted. Anyone recommend differnt gear ratios i could test out?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

30 MpH is very slow speed. I ran on-road and off-road, mostly nitro but I ran electric when I was a kid. Driving my on-road car at top 50 MpH makes me hardly blink, which makes off-road running at 30 MpH is easy.
To control the car at high speed depends mostly on the set-up for car to handle better on the track.
By the way choose the truck that your hobby shop supports the most, so when you break stuff you can easily get it from your local hobby shops.

Last edited by FREELANCE_RCer; 08-28-2006 at 05:01 PM.
FREELANCE_RCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
30 MpH is very slow speed. I ran on-road and off-road, mostly nitro but I ran electric when I was a kid. Driving my on-road car at top 50 MpH makes me hardly blink, which makes off-road running at 30 MpH is easy.
To control the car at high speed depends mostly on the set-up for car to handle better on the track.
By the way choose the truck that your hobby shop supports the most, so when you break stuff you can easily get it from your local hobby shops.
Actually your sedan on-road car runs at an Average of 54 MPH
and your 1/8 scale on-road runs at speeds of 68 mph to 75 mph
so that makes the 30 mph (offroad speed) like you are breaking in an engine in an on road car.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

id go w/ the losi brushless RTR..seems perfect for what you are doing...for gearing..id probably go w/ the stock gear (i think its in 82?) and have either a 17 or 18 tooth pinion in it. that way u get punch yet still have quite a bit of high end..you might even go for a 19t if u want more top speed.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

umm, guys, comparing speeds of a 4 wheel drive touring car to a electric offroad truck has no relation.

30mph for a T4 or XXX-T is plenty fast. If I remember right, the stocker motors in the RTR trucks top out at bottom 20's. If your just going to bang it around the yard/driveway/street then the RTR version will be perfect for you. A good 19 turn motor will be plenty fast and then you can always add a brushless later. Ive got a GTB 5.5 Novak Brushless in my FT T4 and its faster than you could ever need to go and have any chance of controlling it.
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Tech Regular

well i looked up the novak 4300 motor that comes with that losi car and it is the same as a stock motor. novak says that only brushless motors work and you can't go to a faster motor. so that speed is probably not fast enough for you. if you have the money i still reccomend a brushless system but something more performance oriented. lrp sphere combo or the novak system. then as far as cars go i would say any race level kit but i don't think you would want factory team or losi mf2, and i would consider the sportworks raven as well as the duratrax since your not racing just bashing, if you think you may race only consider losi or associated.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Hey, Thanks again for the help. My little brother is going to race this on the weekend i found this.....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGM4&P=7

with this motor

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKUX5&P=ML

Thats a rtr truck but i can just keep those extra parts and just get a 7 cell battery right?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
Tech Regular

the price for that brusless system is only $20 less than the pro system. your way better off getting the pro system, that speed control will only handle a 8 1/2 turn brushless motor. which means if you decide you want more speed later you will have to buy a new system. if the price difference was more i would say go for but for $20 you will be able to upgrade it and be able to sell it for more.

as far as the truck goes thats a great choice. i think you should just buy the truck and drive it for a little while with the motor it comes with then upgrade to brushless when you have worn the stock motor out. also by then the mamba brushless system will be out and it is cheaper than the novak one. i reccomend the mamba max 5700kv esc motor combo i think that would suit you perfectly. 212.99 and does not have a motor limit like the novak. i have a mamba system for my mini and its great. i also have the computer link which is nice you can highly program your esc with a few mouse clicks.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Tech Regular

the price for that brusless system is only $20 less than the pro system. your way better off getting the pro system, that speed control will only handle a 8 1/2 turn brushless motor. which means if you decide you want more speed later you will have to buy a new system. if the price difference was more i would say go for but for $20 you will be able to upgrade it and be able to sell it for more.

as far as the truck goes thats a great choice. i think you should just buy the truck and drive it for a little while with the motor it comes with then upgrade to brushless when you have worn the stock motor out. also by then the mamba brushless system will be out and it is cheaper than the novak one. i reccomend the mamba max 5700kv esc motor combo i think that would suit you perfectly. 212.99 and does not have a motor limit like the novak. i have a mamba system for my mini and its great. i also have the computer link which is nice you can highly program your esc with a few mouse clicks.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

last question... Should i change the gears around ill be getting the pro system.
the ca com4es with a 87 tooth Kimbrough 48 pitch spur gear.

thanks