R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Trinity platnium fuel....

Ok so I got into nitro.Im running a AD1 with a CV-R .12.

When I first got it, it had exellent compresion and idled perfect.I was using a buddys fuel until I got my own..(o'donnel 20%).

I ran one practice day and one race night....Friday night.Didnt have one problom whatsoever....

Now yesterday I bought some Trinity platnium.It was all they had so....It seemed like it ran fine until my main rolled around and it wouldnt idle right and kept dying before I could get from the pits to the track.I finally got it on the track and ran my race....I didnt die or anything so it was fine, but it still scared me.

Now today I went to go over my truck and noticed that it takes half the effort to turn the engine over then it did when I got it a week ago.

Has anyone had probloms with this fuel or was it just timing with the new fuel and the end of my engines life...

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

trinity platinum fuel has 8% oil in it where o'donnell has somewhere between 10-12%. When running trinity platinum, or any other fuel that has less than 10-12%(white lightning, trinity platinum) you need to richen the needles by at least 1/4 turn and start from there to tune properly.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Well see thats weird...The reason is becuase I noticed that it shot lots of fuel out the pipe and ran really dirty...Yea I was shooting for the White Lightning.It seemed that the Odonnel ran way cleaner and even hotter.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Going to a fuel with a lower oil % you will need to lean the neeedles out a bit.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Tech Addict

See OS said diffrent...WHAT IS IT!!!!??

Also whats the hottest I should be running this engine?+/
Old 08-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobbaTech
Going to a fuel with a lower oil % you will need to lean the neeedles out a bit.

you are retarded, less oil means less lubrication, which means a need for richer carb settings.

It's people like you that turn people off from this hobby because you type bs information. Maybe you should actually experience the change from a fuel with high oil content to low content. Then maybe you might know something.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Easy...

So what temp??
Old 08-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
you are retarded, less oil means less lubrication, which means a need for richer carb settings.

It's people like you that turn people off from this hobby because you type bs information. Maybe you should actually experience the change from a fuel with high oil content to low content. Then maybe you might know something.
Who's the retarded one???

Go from Monster (more oil) to Platinum (less oil)...you have to lean it SIGNIFICANTLY. I had to lean both my MT and onroad car by at least 1/4 turn on the high speed to get them to even take throttle and they run cooler on Platinum than they did on Monster. I just switched to Maxy's a few weeks ago and had to lean it even more.

It's actually pretty common knowledge that higher oil content makes the motor run hotter...at least given that they're tuned for the same performance.

Maybe you should calm down a little before you start flinging feces around your cage.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Regular

You don't have to snap when I was prodiving a fact to help "thanoneguy" out. Fuels with a lower total oil % have a higher methanol content, when that higher methanol content is introduced into the engine it runs richer keping your needle settings the same as they were set with the higher oil % fuel. When tuned properly(not to a "preset" irrelevant temperature number) the fuel with a higher oil content will make the engine run hotter, have less power, less runtime, possibly a neglibly longer engine life, and a thicker smoke trail that is present. So toss the different fuel in your car, run it and listen to the engine, how it feels/responds and tune it...don't tune it to run at the same temperature number that the engine ran at with your original fuel brand choice.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Yea I noticed that ran completly diffrent.

Is this a good fuel to run you think?

Also what the hottest I am allowed to get this engine before I start to ruin it???
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trinity's fuel is of very good quality.

I have never used the engine you have....so I can't provide a range for you to stay within with that engine. Don't tune to a certain temp no matter what though, I've had one of my past engines run 180* in the cold of winter properly tuned and then also properly tuned it could run as hot as 250* in the heat/humid conditions at some different tracks/cities. Just try your best to learn how to tune an engine by sound and performance and it's idle down characteristics.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I have an ad2 with an os .12 cvr. I am running trinity monster hourspower %20. my motor has never flamed out on the track and has the same glowplug its whole life after break in. I dont think switching fuels is a good idea but thats just my opinion.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Well I bought the car used and using freinds until I got my own....

Any other tips??
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yo Thatoneguy.I run trinity platinum in everything now.Before I ran mugen which is the best but I can`t get it around here any more.I got a xxnt that I am thinking about running this weekend in the expert class.Are you Down???

Mike
rossoh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Sh*t yea im down.Im getting tired of their being no gas truck class anymore....But yea, ill be their....better strap it up