R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's kinda the way I plan to build mine. Forgive me for butchering your car with photoshop, but this is what I came up with:

The idea is to move the ESC to the front for more airflow, and the motor up and centered, for aditional cooling. With one hole in the body, and rather than a hole for the nitro motor's heat sink to stick out, more air could be directed over the motor. I figure a pretty good sized aluminum motor mount will not only make the chassis more rigid, but will make a large heat sink as well. I also moved the batteries closer to the C.G.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow, nice job with Photoshop. If i could pull it off like you show, I think it would be very nice. At the moment, the handling is pretty good, so moving the weight closer to midline isn't a priority of mine (I still need more track time before that would be a factor I think). I do think that a centered motor mount would be better, but much more difficult to fab than the current mount. I thought room was tight right now, but without the side guards it would really be packed. Maybe this winter I'll try to redo everything in a more space saving manner.
pullinteef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Glad you liked it. My main idea was to put the ESC where the tank used to be, and have it in the airflow. In theory, it wouldn't thermal as badly. I have a GTB 5.5 in my touring car, and went to great lengths to keep it cool. In the end, I geared way down, and put the ESC in direct airflow...no more thermals.

The reason I put the motor in the middle is not only to move the batteries closer, but again to put the motor in the airflow. I saw where the guy near the begining of the post put his in the center(I though he was using zip ties to mount the motor...hehe). My plan kinda mixes yours and his layouts, we'll just have to see if my theory pans out...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Thumbs up Electric Buggy Pic

Excellent pic! Looks sweet, and yeah it would be fun to have a class of them! I will bet it is hella fun to drive without the stress of tuning a motor! Rock on!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Brushless systems are nice. I haven't had to do any maintainance on mine, and it's comming up on 6 months old. I went through 4 or 5 brushed motors in that time last year. This kind of 8th scale off road racing would put the focus on driving, rather than rebuilding, tunning and making constant adjustments to keep it going...a dream come true!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Here's a pic of my buggy. It has the basic layout you are talking about. IMO it's the best for a buggy, but requires some drivetrain mods. Packs go where the gorilla velcro straps are and this pic shows it fully "fanned" the "cyclone" stickers are on some lightweight plastic pieces that make sure the battery can't slip out.

Right now I have a neu motor and mamba max and no fans... it's a clean look.

I have the truggy about ready to go... wasn't hard to make it work. No pics yet though.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Scale Brushless Buggy-dsc03342.jpg  
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
Tech Champion

That's AWSOME! That's exactly how I'd do it, and will...all I gotta do now is blow up this nitro motor so I have an excuse!...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Default Jammin truggy first pics

Got the truggy done enough for a quick test run and pics. I have work to do but it's coming together ok.

All I did was flip the center diff and make a simple motor plate attached to the chassis and diff mount. I put a little aluminum plate above the motor for esc or rx mounting. The esc can also go on the chassis next to the motor.

I used basic aluminum angle to make the battery holders or whatever you want to call them, and velcro on the chassis for some padding and extra grip.

Servo mount was real easy too.. just used the plastic mounting box by itself. Holes in the chassis etc already there.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Scale Brushless Buggy-truggy-conversion.jpg   1/8th Scale Brushless Buggy-truggy-close-up.jpg  
Old 08-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Oh yeah... I also used a Kyosho 46T plastic center gear...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #40
Tech Adept

I've done a few nitro-to-electric conversions; Jato, MGT, Hyper 7, OFNA MBX.

Here's a video with some footage of my MBX. It runs a Lehner 1940/9 motor with a BK 9920 ESC and 4s2p 6400 FMA/Kokam LiPos. Geared for 30MPH (track speed, not top speed) it'll run for 25 minutes (at least) and has zero thermal issues in 96F heat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV00qGBTkl4

Here are a couple pictures.

It's entering retirement, but only because the chassis and mechanics of the MBX aren't as good as I want for racing. I will be transplanting the electronics into another buggy platform for next season.

Electric 8th scale is a blast. When people ask me what it's like, I generally tell them it's like driving a 1/10th scale 4wd buggy, just heavier
Batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Bat... what gearing are you running with this setup?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Bat... what gearing are you running with this setup?
I'm using the OFNA Ultra center diff (it's the stock MBX diff, but also used on the "Ultra" vehicles from OFNA) with the optional 51t nylon spur. The pinion used in the video is 14t. I also have a 13t and a 15t.
Batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Just thought I would bring this back and give an update... some post questions about getting a setup to run 20 minutes without overheating, etc...

I have one now.

I have raced my buggy and truggy and they are working great. The buggy will run over 20 minutes (probably can't do 30 though) on a 4s 8000 lipo, and it's plenty fast to compete with the nitros. I have it geared so it's not the fastest top end but it gets up to speed quicker than a nitro can dream...

My truggy is running a 12,000mah lipo pack... ha ha ha ha ... and I estimate the runtime on the track should go about 45min if you run it flat. 30 minute mains are no problem with these packs. Turggy is the same... not the fastest top end but tons of punch and looks good on the track.

They are impressive on the track... run just as bad-azz as a nitro.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

What is braking like without the disks glassdoctor? What setup are you running in your centre diff?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Brakes seem to work fine... it's like running a 1/10 4wd. I think the nitro brakes with the f/r bias adjustment can be an advantage in cornering but I'm not complaining about my car. It's VERY capable in the right hands.

Brakes are smooth and can be dialed as strong or weak as you want.

Buggy has 10K in the center diff.... truggy has whatever was in it when I got it... I think it heavier than 10k.