Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Easiest way to remove the flywheel from nitro engine? >

Easiest way to remove the flywheel from nitro engine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest way to remove the flywheel from nitro engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Easiest way to remove the flywheel from nitro engine?

What is the easiest/best way to remove the flywheel from a nitro engine? They are really hard to pull off after they have been secured with the flywheel nut. I have read that it is best to use an automotive battery terminal pulling tool, but I don't have one of those. Is there an easy way to remove it without introducing undue stress to the motor shaft and flywheel? Thanks in advance for your help. I am totally new to nitro, so I am a bit clueless.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

A battery terminal puller will work, but I find that the one I have is a bit flimsy and cheap.

I have this and it works well:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4098
Old 08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

The terminal puller is your best bet on removing the flywheel with out damaging anything....It is a good investment as you will use it again.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remove the nut and then gently tap the back of the flywheel a few times in a few places with a small hammer. It should just pop off.

Do not take a big swing at it, just a few gentle taps is usually all that's needed.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Flywheel puller!!! It will be the best 36 bucks you ever spent.......
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use two large flat blade screw drivers, place one on each side underneath the fly wheel, and without much pressure at all it pops off! No damage to either flywheel or engine!
The best part, everyone has atleast 2 flat blade screw drivers. if your concerned, you can wrap the screw driver tips with paper towels.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the battery terminal puller is the best, you can get cheap ones at harbor freight.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Your local auto parts store has terminal pullers for like $5 and much much safer than a screwdriver. If you are like me and hate anything marred, gouged or disformed, you will definitely appreciate a quality flywheel puller!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

??

Last edited by KK-racing; 08-14-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I learnt the easiest new way yesterday at our track.

There was this buddy running an O.S. V-spec in his MBX5 for about 2 races already, not to count the 6 ~7 weekends of practices in between. Then suddenly his engine keeps shutting off after landing from jumps for no apparent reason. A check showed the flywheel has kind of moved back & sticks itself to the engine front bearing with aluminium burr around it. Everyone started crowding around straining their necks to get a better view when he starts dismantling the clutch-bell, shoes & flywheel to see what causes that. Out comes the clutch-bell retaining screw, next the bell & then the shoes.

Finally the flywheel locking nut was taken out &........ he literally just lifted the flywheel out without any effort, not to mention any tools. Then people start guessing - 'the conical bushing got smashed to bits', 'no, no, it was worn off to thin air'. Then our smart buddy, blushing all red open his tools box & took out the conical bushing....'I forgot to put it in' !. Now isn't this the easiest method to remove the flywheel ?. Joke(the incident is true though) aside, I used the tapping method with a aluminium rod behind the flywheel, for years without any problem.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Or you can make your own!

Here is one I made from a tractor trailer shock mount. By looking at the top of the puller you can see where I cut it from the shock shaft. It took about an hour to make and the cost was nothing. It works very well.