Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB S3 vs Novarossi T21B vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default RB S3 vs Novarossi T21B vs ?

Does anyone have any comments on either of these motors? Or any other motor in this price range. Both of these motors are $175.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

As of right now, both of these motors run very well and are very competitive on a small track where a lot of horsepower is not required.
The RB comes with a small head that does not use a button. You will need a larger head if you can get it.
The Nova is the one to go with on a budget.

If you are tight with your money go with the RG by OS. It will make the same power as the other two, is easy to tune and you can pick them up for $100. For an extra $25 (over what you paid for the other 3 ports) you get two motors.

I race the RG on a 175 X 70 track and it does not get out motored.
Hope this helps,
TEX
Old 09-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I must say that the rb s3 is a nice little engine. I agree with that it does have a small head so I switched to the o donnel head for the s5 and the s7..

The s3 hold a good tune and runs strong. I ran that in the first half of the pro series and it was sweet.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't forget the sportwerks .21 V2. It's really close to the 2 mentioned above and has more top end. I mess around with a V-spec and an T21bf but I always enventually come back to the V2. It just works, and my LHS sells them for 165$
Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

The OS RG has been discontinued by OS. That was going to be the motor that I was going to get. OS is coming out with a replacement for the RG, but no idea on how long until it is released.

Yeah, I noticed the small head on the RB S3 and was a little cautious about it.

I'll look into the Sportwerks, but I'm kinda leaning towards the T21B.

Hobbypeople has a SH .21 for about the same price. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I run a 21BF and it is a trooper I beat the snot out of it and it just keeps coming back for more. I eventually would like to get a bit more HP since some of the tracks I race at I feel a bit underpowered but that mostly against modded high end mills. Most of the tracks I race at though the 21BF works great and I've already had some people come up to me and not believe its just a three port. I have modded mine a bit though, but that mostly just gave me better fuel mileage and a bit more mid range.

My only valid complaint with the 21BF is the carb it gets hot and won't restart after its warmed up, but I replaced the carb with a Nova Rossi composite carb a buddy of mine had and havn't had a problem since.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattyk6
The OS RG has been discontinued by OS. That was going to be the motor that I was going to get. OS is coming out with a replacement for the RG, but no idea on how long until it is released.
The RG's can still be bought on ebay or other internet sites.

The new OS will be dubbed the VG. Supposedly more power than the RG. Will come with a blue head too.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GroffBall
I run a 21BF and it is a trooper I beat the snot out of it and it just keeps coming back for more. I eventually would like to get a bit more HP since some of the tracks I race at I feel a bit underpowered but that mostly against modded high end mills. Most of the tracks I race at though the 21BF works great and I've already had some people come up to me and not believe its just a three port. I have modded mine a bit though, but that mostly just gave me better fuel mileage and a bit more mid range.

My only valid complaint with the 21BF is the carb it gets hot and won't restart after its warmed up, but I replaced the carb with a Nova Rossi composite carb a buddy of mine had and havn't had a problem since.
AMEN brother !
Old 09-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

rg is good but the engine does not compare to the rb and nova that have a better piston and sleave they have pinch. people have them at our track and love them 3 gal and still good comp. left. Two of the poeple ran RG motors and will never go back to a rg after owning these motors. I run a P5 and the nova 21bf keeps up well so that is the motor I would pick of the two.

the sportwerks motor is very fast for the money but I don't know how long they last, so it may be a great motor too.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I went ahead and purchased the T21B from A-Main Hobbies. We'll see how well it does.

Thanks for all your suggestions!