Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Talk about Electric Off-Road Nats >

Talk about Electric Off-Road Nats

Talk about Electric Off-Road Nats

Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Talk about Electric Off-Road Nats

Well I just got back from a GREAT Nats hosted by Peel-it raceway and I have heard rumblings that Roar will next year combine the stock and mod nats. In my oppinion this is very sad to hear indeed.

If the nats are combined in my oppinion it would change the entire atmosphere of both Off-Roar nats. I have a few questions that we can debate here. This is not to turn into a flame thread just discussion to see what other peoples' oppions are.

We had had close to 90 entries at this years Stock nats. Rumors are that the Mod nats are close to selling out. Now I understand that 90 entries is low for the stock nats but to combine that with the mod nats would make for some very long days. I enjoyed getting out at 5 on days of quals at the stock nats. I would have liked to see more in attendence at the stock nats but still it was nice that I was not attending an event of 400+ entries.

Lets take a look at the past

05 Stock Nats had 150ish entries
05 Mod Nats had 260ish entries
04 Stock Nats had 250ish entries
04 Mod Nats had 220ish entries

Now those are all slightly rough numbers but they are close. So that is

410 entries for electric offroad nationals for 05
470 entries for electric offroad nationals for 04

Myself I am not sure I want to be at a race that would have 400+ entries.
Even this year with attendence down I think that we will have close to 400 entries for the electric offroad nationals in 06.

I think that if they were combined entries overall would go down. Personaly I like having 2 nats. It gives my double the odds that one of the nats I will be able to attend.

Another thing about the 06 nats, What is up with the 19t classes. Nothing agianst the people that participated in that class, hey it was there run it, but if it was not there it would have for sure made for some better racing overall. It is the STOCK NATS. Not the stock and spec nats. The last thing we need are more classes in this hobby. Stock buggy, truck, 4wd, Masters and Juniors is enough.

But I know other people have oppinions so lets hear them.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default My .02

Originally Posted by DustinR
Well I just got back from a GREAT Nats hosted by Peel-it raceway and I have heard rumblings that Roar will next year combine the stock and mod nats. In my oppinion this is very sad to hear indeed.

If the nats are combined in my oppinion it would change the entire atmosphere of both Off-Roar nats. I have a few questions that we can debate here. This is not to turn into a flame thread just discussion to see what other peoples' oppions are.

We had had close to 90 entries at this years Stock nats. Rumors are that the Mod nats are close to selling out. Now I understand that 90 entries is low for the stock nats but to combine that with the mod nats would make for some very long days. I enjoyed getting out at 5 on days of quals at the stock nats. I would have liked to see more in attendence at the stock nats but still it was nice that I was not attending an event of 400+ entries.

Lets take a look at the past

05 Stock Nats had 150ish entries
05 Mod Nats had 260ish entries
04 Stock Nats had 250ish entries
04 Mod Nats had 220ish entries

Now those are all slightly rough numbers but they are close. So that is

410 entries for electric offroad nationals for 05
470 entries for electric offroad nationals for 04

Myself I am not sure I want to be at a race that would have 400+ entries.
Even this year with attendence down I think that we will have close to 400 entries for the electric offroad nationals in 06.

I think that if they were combined entries overall would go down. Personaly I like having 2 nats. It gives my double the odds that one of the nats I will be able to attend.

Another thing about the 06 nats, What is up with the 19t classes. Nothing agianst the people that participated in that class, hey it was there run it, but if it was not there it would have for sure made for some better racing overall. It is the STOCK NATS. Not the stock and spec nats. The last thing we need are more classes in this hobby. Stock buggy, truck, 4wd, Masters and Juniors is enough.

But I know other people have oppinions so lets hear them.
Well my .02 is I see a good thing since the stock nats did turn out low, I think that combining the two would do two things:
1. Save the stock nats......i run stock and wouild hate to see it go.
2. Give those of us that do run both classes the opportunity to do it on a national stage without having to drop the coin on 2 separate national events probably held in 2 different parts of trhe country, i mean they are gonna cap the entries anyway and our race days are already long at events like that, they would probably go from 3-1-main qualifying to 2-2-main format and just add the extra day, that would allow them to cap the entries at 4 or 500 vehicles and still be able to run rounds in a timely manner, we do it on carpet, we can do it offroad, the mod nats at Planet r/c are in 1 1/2 weeks i'll be there and happy as a clam, but if i could run stock at the same event i'd be happier....just my .02 Tito
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

With ROAR regulations, I would doubt you would be able to race a combine Nats is both Stock and Modified Classes.

Another point about 19t is that its official title is Super Stock. If you took that out of the stock Nats, then the mod nats would be full and the stock nats would be like 60 entries? Maybe not a good idea...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default ya think

Now do you think that as a viable option ROAR would be willing to re-write the regulations just so they can combine the two events? I look at it this way, you have one event that for at least this year struggled in the entry area and another that is dang near sold out at 300 vehicles. What do you think that ROAR will do to level things out? i mean it's something that someone somewhere has to take notice of.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have also heard that the combination of the stock and mod nats may happen next year. But the rumors going around are that it will become a week long event probably covering 2 weekends or something. My understanding is that they will run all stock/19t classes then a day or 2 of practice then start the mod classes.
Glad to see the 19t classes at the stock nats. Good for most people that wont run stock.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

I was at the 1989 Off Road Nats in Detroit and back then they ran stock and modified together and it went very smoothly. I was pretty young back (14) then so being able to talk to Cliff Lett, Jay Halsey, and Gil Losi Jr. was about the greatest thing I could've imagined. I have to say that all three were very curteous to me.

The problem today is now they have trucks and 4wd which they didn't have back then. I don't see how they could fit it all in one weekend unless they downsize the fields. Maybe they could do it in back to back weekends or something but not to many people can take two full weeks away from work at a time. None the less it will be interesting to see what ROAR will do.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

the lack of attendence at the stock nats could have very well been because of it's location. it was held in the most extreme north western part of the united states in the most north western part of washington state. not a very friendly drive to location for the rest of the country.

as for combining the stock and mod nats, they could limit the entries to say, 350 or so, like most other big venues.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The stock nats location was probaly not the best. There is still some room open for mod nats if anyone is interested.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default .

Originally Posted by AxiomJacob
The stock nats location was probaly not the best. There is still some room open for mod nats if anyone is interested.
Question, i'm in the mod nats, but i have a friend who wants to go and he probably wont be able to enter till next thursday, what do you think his chances are?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtracer1
the lack of attendence at the stock nats could have very well been because of it's location. it was held in the most extreme north western part of the united states in the most north western part of washington state. not a very friendly drive to location for the rest of the country.
I dont really see how this is an issue... the track is like 45mins from seatac airport, and like 35mins from seattle, definately not the most northwestern part of the state.

many racers every year fly from washington to FL for races... and nobody talks about location. as being a problem for low turnouts. the low turnout was most definately due to low local support from other offroad clubs.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Stock and Mod nats will be combined in 2007 to a FOUR day event with increased entrys. (currently the limit is 300) More than likely, it will have an entry limit of 400 although that is still under discussion. ROAR Race Management Team will be handling the entire event and renting the location from the host facility. This means all handout products will be provided by ROAR.

Stock/19T/Modified will be offered at this event but not all three chassis types in all classes other than modified.

Neither Stock or Mod nats have not even come close to being full in several years. Actual numbers are available through email at [email protected]
Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
the low turnout was most definately due to low local support from other offroad clubs.

and the high number of other off road trophy events in the month of July.....
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Curious Dawn, What specificly prompts the combination of the stock and mod nats. I understand that it is hard to find host venues for the nats but so long as there are people that are willing to host them why not let wellenough alone.

To me this is a very damaging thing to do to a ROAR event. But my oppinion.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tripthreat
Another point about 19t is that its official title is Super Stock. If you took that out of the stock Nats, then the mod nats would be full and the stock nats would be like 60 entries? Maybe not a good idea...
This year I talked to MANY of the 19t drivers and ALOT of them would just have run stock had it been the only class provided.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
I dont really see how this is an issue... the track is like 45mins from seatac airport, and like 35mins from seattle, definately not the most northwestern part of the state.

many racers every year fly from washington to FL for races... and nobody talks about location. as being a problem for low turnouts. the low turnout was most definately due to low local support from other offroad clubs.
Whlie what you say is very true look at the stock nats there were held in Missouri, they had 230 entries. As I recall they were the second largest stock nats ever. They were in the midwest and a days drive of 70% of the US population. Now I understand that Peel-it might have been the only one that wanted to host this years nats but many will only go to a race that they can drive to.

Regardless my hat goes off to the crew at Peel-It for hosting a great nats this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.