R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   what to get ttr s3 or xray xb8 agg (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/123719-what-get-ttr-s3-xray-xb8-agg.html)

amain 07-31-2006 02:50 PM

what to get ttr s3 or xray xb8 agg

xray xb8 or ttr s3? ok i need a buggy to be built and be race ready by next week my hobby shop has great part support for both and its 50/50 at the track for ppl running them as well. well i know ttr parts are 1/2 the price of xray but im a good driver and making a and b mains and finshing well so im NOT new to 1/8 scale let me no on ur opinios on the buggys. also im teaming it up with a picco p7-r evo engien
Thanks andrew

Flying_Ace 07-31-2006 02:56 PM

I have a Xray XB8R with all the TQ supsension upgrades and I love it, fit and finish is as good as it comes, parts are durable, and it handles great... I also run a Picco P7 in mine and it is a great combo...

Scottmisfits 07-31-2006 03:21 PM

I currently own both cars. The TTR is a stiffer car in the chassis so it's less forgiving to a bad input from the driver and not quite as good on rough tracks. I think it has some of the best shocks around though. If you can wrap your head around the 2 piston and ball bearing set up, it's great. Parts are cheaper for the car but there isn't as much support for the car anymore. If your local shop has the parts and there are locals racing it, great.

I am currently running the XB8TQ. I really like this car alot better than the TTR at this point. I had a great set up for me on the TTR and I'm still playing with set up on the XRay and I am still faster than I was with the TTR. Same engine, pipe, servo's, everything. The car is more adjustable and easier to adjust than the TTR. It is also alot more sensitive to changes than the TTR, which is pretty sensitive. The XRay has a lot of factory support on it's own message boardand an interactive setup sheet system all on it's own webpage. The XRay is alot easier to work on as well wih the flat chassis vs. the tunnel chassis of the TTR.
Yes, parts for the XRay seem to be more money but they also seem to be stronger.So you'll break them less often. And the prices on the XRay stuff have come down so it's very competitive on the showroom wall as well.

Overall, if there are lot's of guy running both cars locally then try them out if someone will let you. Make your own decision based on what you want the car to feel like.

My vote on this one is XRay though.

A_Stratus 07-31-2006 04:02 PM

I race the TTR S3. Yes I am sponsored by them but before you label me with giving a biased opinion I MUST TELL YOU that I did own the Xray before the TTR S3. Right now I feel I am faster with my TTR S3 than I have been with any other 8th scale that I've ever owned or driven. The Xray is a good car and I will never bash it because its what I drove that landed me my sponsorship with HobbyCraft/TTR. I think each car has it's little ups and downs. Right now I feel the S3 is just amazing. If you decide to get the car, send me your email address and I will send you my setup sheet. One thing I like with the TTR is the cost of parts when you do need them. The car seems to be pretty strong here too. Not many people have broken them.

I will be completely honest with you, I did NOT like the delta box chassis with the S3. I milled my own flat chassis and made my own braces for the car. Once I did that to the buggy it was a lot better.

Aaron

amain 08-01-2006 09:41 AM

is the c hub in the xray very durable and will i have any problems with it?

RobS 08-01-2006 02:19 PM

Both cars are very good, either one you choose you'll be happy with. I currently run an XB8 and love it. I'm also good friends with A_Stratus and know the S3 a little bit. Both are good cars if you have a good setup on it. :nod: :nod:

Scottmisfits 08-01-2006 03:02 PM

All I have broken on my XB8 or my TQ are arm's. One rear and two front's on the lower and one upper. All of these an be explained by HARD hit's into some plywood or landing really wrong on the big doubles we have on our track.

killer-z 08-01-2006 04:42 PM

i let him try mine this past race weeekend. ttr s3 with a crono.21 he drove pretty good. anyways i love that car and wouldnt trade it right now.
i would like a copy of that set up sheet though? please.
i try to kill it every weekend but it seems unbreakable, parts are cheap and plenty. yes there are both buggies at the track and the top two are x-ray but i would like to change that lol just need some more steering.
Nick"the dirtman" Renaud

A_Stratus 08-01-2006 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by killer-z
i would like a copy of that set up sheet though? please.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=106205&page=3

Click the link and you will see my last post with my setup.
Aaron

tex1 08-02-2006 04:40 AM

There is no car in the industry that has the fit, finish and duability of the Xray TQ car. It is a smoking deal.
They are very responsive to adjustments and have a very efficient drive train as well.
They are supported as well as any car on the market and the RC America guys keep the parts flowing.
TEX
:tire:

bobf24 08-02-2006 05:35 AM

personally I think the xray cars are kind of over rated, i'm not saying they are bad cars, and not trying to start anything, but I've built alot of cars including xray cars, and sure they are nice, but there are other cars on the market that build just as nice, the xrays do have really nice intsruction manuals thgouh, but am i going to buy a car because of that? not likely,

and if the car is that much better than everything else on the market, why hasn't it dominated the racing scene? because its not really that much better, EVERY car on the market is good, they all have positives and negatives, xray just for what ever reason has a very passionate fan base, which persoanlly i feel is one of the negatives of the car, and was why i sold my xray cars,