Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not larger fuel tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Why not larger fuel tanks?

Just bought my first Nitro RC vehicle. It came with a 125cc plastic fuel tank. Why aren't they bigger? Is it because of possible engine temp issues or maybe weight issues?

I'm getting an RC Solutions roll cage and thought about building a custom fuel tank out of 3/4" PVC and run it down the center of my truck under the cage. This could possibly double my fuel capacity and run times.

I just bash, so longer run times would be nice to have.

What do you think? Why would I not want to do this?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

they put a limit on them for racing aplications way back early on in the hobby for safety reasons. If you want more run time then roll up like 10 feet of fuel tubing and stuff it in your car. The best way to keep running though is to time how long it takes your car to empty a tank and just have a fuel bottle w/ fuel on hand. A minute b4 u would go empty pull it up next to you and fill it up.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you can put a larger tank in it, depending on room, etc.
My Tmaxx had a 125cc tank, it now has a 145cc(OFNA violater/Jammin) tank, and about 11 inches of fuel line and an inline fuel filter. You are not going to gain a ton of run time, but I know every little bit helps.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

i was at the lhs the other day and a guy with a giga crusher rocked up...he had i think an alloy or stainless steel tank that looked like it was around 400cc on each side...for the dual motors...800cc all up....thats insane..

it cost him 120 bucks to get it custom made and i reken its a great mod...

y dont u try a plane fuel tank? they can get pretty big and are avalable in pretty much all sorts of shapes and sizes....or u can get a few small plane tanks and put em like front and back of the truck or behind shock towers or werever u can fit em.....lol....or run like 20 fuel filters.....and like 30 feet of fuel tubing.....then ull have some LONG runtimes :P
Old 07-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

You do realize you can refuel the truck while it is running...then you can run 30-60 minutes straight, I do it in my revo, 125cc tank and just keep refueling while it runs.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Johnny, tell him what he's won!

Haha, Jim