Community
Wiki Posts
Search

were's the 1/10th 4wd nitro classes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default were's the 1/10th 4wd nitro classes

hi all:the 1/8th scale nitro buggy and truggy classes are very popular right now and that brings up a few things.first why hasn't the 1/10th scale 2wd nitro race truck class evolved into a 4wd nitro race truck class?also there are some 1/10th scale 4wd nitro buggies on the market,but why hasn't this class taken off on a national or world race level like the bigger 1/8th nitro buggies have?you could argue that to many classes may make it confusing to pick some to enter as well as not enough time at events to get all the racing in.just my thoughts
Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can answer for myself and few others at my local track about 1/10 2wd gas truck. We enjoy the challenge of driving a 2wd truck. It is not a simple "point and shoot" driving experience. You have to have a good throttle finger to wheel one fast around the loose dirt we race on. I admit most people are in the truggy class now a days, but we have a good group of hardcore gas truck guys that have stuck with it...lol!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Better yet, you tell me why there should be a 1/10th scale nitro buggy class. 1/8th scale buggies are super durable and require virtually no maintanance except clean up and refill the diffs & shocks ocasionally. 1/10th scale nitro provides a more challenging driving experience that people enjoy. There are two reasons that 1/8th scale and truggy has taken off in America. Most Americans believe that they can throw money at a problem and fix it, American's have a lot of money to throw at problems. In 1/8th scale $400 motors and $600 buggies will make you faster. In 1/10th scale there are pretty much three trucks to choose from and one motor to choose from so the field is very =. On 90% of the tracks people race on a $100 o.s. cv-r is the hot ticket in 1/10th scale so throwing money at the problem doesn't solve anything, it actualy makes things worse. The driver realy makes the differance.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The difficulty of driving a 1/10 2wd truck discourages lots of people. 4wd makes for more fun and that's why you see more 1/8. I think a 1/10 4wd class would be awesome in areas where a chunk of land big enough for a 1/8 buggy track just isn't readily available. a 1/10 vehicle would be lots of fun on some of the smaller tracks out there.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you want fast and durable on a small track w/ big run time then run a bunch of lipo brushless infernos. they are bullet proof, can run a 20 minute main.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The main problem I see with 10th nitro 4wd is that they came a day late and a dollar short.... not to mention honestly none of the ones available are really race quality..... the closest is the RS4MT and it's very limited on it's adjustability... that being said I haven't really seen the hotbodies vehicles in person.....
Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

That's true about the quality of the current kits. But it could still happen if interest were to grow. Look at monster trucks. A few years ago there was the T-Maxx and now the market is full of different designs.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i honestly think this might have a resurgence but i wouldnt hld my breath.
i own a tr-15 and the amount of things id need to buy/make to be competitive is crazy here is a few btw this is the original buggy:
custom front swaybar, alluminium bulk heads (the one sthe servo saver pivot on) better brakes possibly a centre diff although that is to hard, better supports front and rear universals custom centre uni's. silicone filed diffs and do something with the clutch.
the list is longer but these are the major probs not to mention the fact that the pivot mount (inner) are so bad that a crooked jump pop an arm off.
but having said that id still like to custom make a full race 1/10th buggy
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an original OFNA Pirate 10, and when I lived in Phoenix years ago, they raced them in their own class a couple times, while there was about 5 guys who had Pirate 10 Evolution kits... It was a blast, but what everyone says about there not being a competitive kit available is true.

I just discovered the Hot Bodies car last week, and it looks like it might have potential. I can't say 1/10 4wd gas will ever be a race class of its own where I live without a seriously cool race-bred kit (not an RTR) being released by a manufacturer like Kyosho, X-Ray, Losi, or Associated.

Another possibility would be a quality conversion kit for an existing 4wd electric buggy like the Lazer or BJ4, but again -- it just doesn't exist.