Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Career in RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Personally if I was you I would go to college and get a B.A. degree business. If/when you finish business school and still want to open a hobby shop you will know exactly how to run it. Another thing is that you are pretty much putting all of your eggs in one basket, get an education then try the hobby shop. The reasoning behind this is if you hobby shop fails or you are ready for a change you will have a degree to fall back on.

I'm not trying to sound like your father or anything, but I am young too(23), and have seen alot of people fall flat on their faces from not taking EVERYTHING into consideration.

Just think about all aspects of it, and whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

I like Black's response.

Get the education FIRST and learn more about having an RC business.

RC will be there for you when you're done.

.02 cents,
Troy
Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

im 15...and i also give black's response a +1..

that idea sounds like the best way. I am probably going to major in business. I just like doing business, and i always have liked it. When i discover or make something new, and think its cool, the first thing comes to my mind is "i wonder if anyone would buy that.." haha.

anyway, back onto topic. yes i would get the B.A. in business first, that way you still have a backup plan if the hobby shop doesnt go well, and u can hop back on board, get a job and if u want, continue in school.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Dayton YGPM back!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
My advice.

PM EAmotorsports and Speedtech right here on RC tech.
Eric owner of EA Motorsports worked as a machanic and tuned motors and matched battieries afterwork for years. Now his business has grown so much he works full time doing it now...

Steve Wang, owner of www.speedtechrc.com and Maxxtruck a.k.a. www.speedtechnitro.com
Has tuned a small shop that was focused on just the high end TC's and a few other things into two major Websites...
They both had exactly what is needed in this hobby. The drive to put out great goods with the best customer service.
I could call either one right now and know they would help me if I needed.
A great customer service will spread and others will come. If you are known for bad customer service it will spread like wild fire and no one will want to do buisness with you.

But if you want to know how they did it ask them I am sure they would help with the info you are looking for.
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Hey Shookie,

Thank you for your compliments it's been a pleasure getting you started in this hobby (I still remember our first conversation on the phone)

This is an interesting topic, and a lot of people have posted very good advice, so I will be short: At age 17, I would say keep your option open and really explore all your possibilities out there. When I was 17, I wanted to be an ME (mechnical engineer) and was accepted to a top univesity for it and obviously I didn't end up being a ME (maybe one day I'll go back to school for it)

If you're certain that the R/C industry is for you, as other have mentioned there are many position in the industry to fill, just like any other industry (marketing, sales, project management, R&D...just to name a few) I suggest starting working in the industry and try and get involved with different aspect of the industry. I started working in the R/C industry when I was 16, worked at hobby shops part time, manufactures doing assembly/shipping/warehouse work, worked for magazines, and mail order companies. It will help you understand how each aspect of the industry work and how they are related to each other. It will also help you start developing relationships that will help you in the future.

If you are set on opening a hobby shop, like other have said, don't expect to make a whole lot of money, do it because you enjoy the hobby. And good advice from Black, go get a business degree so you understand how to run a business and what to focus on (and you also have something to fall back on). I personally have a degree in entrepreneurship, and two years ago when I felt like that wasn't enough, I went back to school and earned my MBA degree. Last bit of advice (so much for being short):

As a shop owner, you have to make sure you are the last one to get the new stuff and make sure your customers get them first

As a shop owner, you loose your hobby as it has now become work...so you better figure out how to get used to work as your new hobby

Good luck!

Steve Wang
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
......As a shop owner, you loose your hobby as it has now become work...so you better figure out how to get used to work as your new hobby

Steve Wang
Steve,

I'm glad its you working so hard to serve the RC community because I am very happy to be in the community served by you having all the fun.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default .

Originally Posted by timmey
The thing is.....a hobbie is somthing you look forward to after work and if it is the same as your job it will wear thin !
Excellent point!!!!!