R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #76
Tech Legend

Somebody mention a Factory class is long overdue ...

Objection always used...
"You can`t determine who`s sponsored or who is`nt "

solution:

Rank the drivers by having the Roar region director`s track points earned at Roar sanction events for the year ...

Host 6 sanction regional events per year ...

Points earned at attending these events allow the racer to qualify for the "pro class" in the National....

Then have the Pro`s use any tire they wish , and have the sportsmans class use the handouts....

Its all to simple to achieve , but will we see Roar try to do ?

I don`t think so ....

BDW

Make space on back of Roar membership card to include room for points earned and have Roar director sign card for racer if points were awarded after event for record of achievement...

After enought points are earned, summit card & resume' to Roar for approval of advancing racer`s rank ....

Then .....

Watch Roar events become popular again & Nationals become a award for hard work earned....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 07-31-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #77
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer89
Amezcua won 2wd at the Shootout with Red X-2000s...

No he didn't, he won with Xs, but I would bet they weren't red..... He wasn't faster with them, Pudge caught him from a long way back after Robbers got into him. Travis drove great though and deserved to win.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #78
Tech Addict

To say that spec tires are going to reduce new product development for 1/10th scale electric racing is kind of a strech. 10 years ago, YES. But now, in 2006, when these companies go to barely 3 or 4 races a year and haven't come out with new compounds or tires in years, I think it's safe to say they aren't to worried about the public demand for new electric stuff, and wouldnt be making up secret batches of tires anyway.

I fly to races, and I want to carry the LEAST amount of tires possible. So I'm all for spec tires.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #79
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Somebody mention a Factory class is long overdue ...

Objection always used...
"You can`t determine who`s sponsored or who is`nt "

solution:

Rank the drivers by having the Roar region director`s track points earned at Roar sanction events for the year ...

Host 6 sanction regional events per year ...

Points earned at attending these events allow the racer to qualify for the "pro class" in the National....

Then have the Pro`s use any tire they wish , and have the sportsmans class use the handouts....

Its all to simple to achieve , but will we see Roar try to do ?

I don`t think so ....

BDW

Make space on back of Roar membership card to include room for points earned and have Roar director sign card for racer if points were awarded after event for record of achievement...

After enought points are earned, summit card & resume' to Roar for approval of advancing racer`s rank ....

Then .....

Watch Roar events become popular again & Nationals become a award for hard work earned....
This is nice Wild and a very good suggestion, but, IN MY OPINION, it will only add to the growing problem of reduction in tracks due to TOO MANY larger than CLUB race events. Not to mention the cost in attending all these events in order to just get qualified for the National(which not every track in the series will use the same tire, so you will need to buy tires for each track which adds up yet again).
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson
To say that spec tires are going to reduce new product development for 1/10th scale electric racing is kind of a strech. 10 years ago, YES. But now, in 2006, when these companies go to barely 3 or 4 races a year and haven't come out with new compounds or tires in years, I think it's safe to say they aren't to worried about the public demand for new electric stuff, and wouldnt be making up secret batches of tires anyway.

I fly to races, and I want to carry the LEAST amount of tires possible. So I'm all for spec tires.
The sad truth that makes most of this argument pointless!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #81
Team Tekin

I think everone is missing the biggest picture of all...Derek is right(I agree with him) that using a spec tire can cause advancement to slow or stop. If you go to other forms of motorsports you can see some comparisons...

Moto GP: The rider is sponsored by Dunlop, he runs on Dunlop becuase he's sponsored by them, he will choose a tire based on what's available and adapt his chassis set up and driving style to make use of the tires good points and bad points.

F1: This style of racing has changed from time to time and is starting to be a "this tire for this track" style of racing but they have fought tooth and nail to not be limited to a single tire.

This is my opinion will make it so Proline might not try as hard to make a tire similiar in compound and tread design to COMPETE with the Losi Taper Pin. There are a lot of tires when you can run a Losi X2000 and run either the Square Fuzzie or Holeshot and be just as fast. However this is where the similiarities may end. The Pink compound has no Proline comparison. M3 is soft but the rubber compounds just aren't the same.

I agree with Derek in the fact that if you are proline sponsored you should be winning/racing on their rubber! Gone is the allure and exclusivety to being a sponsored driver running only your sponsors equipment. In the current state of things I feel that the sponsored racer is confused as to what their rule is.

Currently the chassis and powerplant of the winners is the most advertised and pushed products. Rarely do you see Proline advertising that so and so factory driver has one on our tires,etc. I'm all for the new "deals" that everyone is signing from shoes to sports drinks, it shows that our sport is growing and being watched which is the first steps to being huge!

Proline, Losi, and Panther. If you are listening and I know you are, it's time to take control of the men and women that you are cutting checks to, why pay them if they aren't pushing your product? They should be racing your stuff because that's their job. Kinda hard to do when they win with your competitors products. Do you think Orion/Peak could push more motors if Mark used a Trinity motor to win his TC races?

This is my opinion. Share it, disagree with it but please don't disrespect it.

Derek, I am on your side.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Do you guys really think running spec tires at 1 or 2 races a year is going to slow the development of new tires? If I were a manufacture, I would be looking at the demands of the entire market, not the demands of 1 track with 1 race, when it came to developing new tires and compounds.

I'm just guessing, but I think the tires used at the nationals is less than 1/10th of 1% of either Losi or Prolines annual sales of tires. I don't think spec tires can be to blame for lack of development.

So I guess handout stock motors at most large races is the reason stock motor development has been lacking over the past few years. </sarcam>
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #83
Tech Adept

Default didnt read

excuse me guys, i have not gone back to read the tread a whole lot and if this question is answered in there some where oooooppppsss....sorry will the manuf. be at the mod nats with ample amounts of tires to sell????
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #84
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I can say is what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. It holds true. People should race what they are sponsored in most cases. I quit watching Nascar because of the generisizing.

I will buy and run the products that win big races. If they work at my track I keep using them. So anytime there is a new product that looks like it could be useful I will try it.

Rules of it - Has to be reletively cheap. It has to have a chance of meeting the condition of my track. If it cost a ton then I do research.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #85
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pike
using a spec tire can cause advancement to slow or stop.
most people dont have any idea what is being tested.. i would bet that Losi, Pro-Line, and Panther are testing new rubber, molds, sizes, sidewalls, etc a lot more often than you think.

Case in point:

Team Losi X-3000 Buggy Tires

Team Losi now offers 1/10 buggy racers a new rear tire in the X pattern family called the X-3000. The LOSA7360 X-3000 is a development of the popular X-2000 tire that has ruled the racetracks for a number of years. The X pattern tread design incorporates a low profile square pin on either side of the famous Losi Xs that run around the center. This tread design proven to be a favorite for both packed and slightly loose track surfaces. The Losi development team has created a tire that still provides unmatched forward traction but is more forgiving in bumps and excels when side bit is critical. The team drivers have put in thousands of laps developing the new full radius carcass and stiffer sidewalls that provide a better feel on a broader selection of tracks. This remarkable combination makes the X-3000 easier to drive and a good choice for consistent performance as a track changes during the day. The X-3000 fits all popular 2.2 wheels and is available in Team Losis exclusive Pink compound (LOSA7360P) that is extremely popular for indoor tracks as well as their soft Red (LOSA7360R) compound that offers exceptional traction on both indoor and outdoor surfaces. All Team Losi tires include firm foam inner liners for proper support and performance. Look for these and all Team Losi racing tires at hobby shops and racetracks worldwide.

LOSA7360P 2.2 X-3000 Rear Buggy Tires (Pink) 12.99

LOSA7360R 2.2 X-3000 Rear Buggy Tires (Red) 12.99
Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

whats kind of humorous here is the rule changed because..... manufacturers and racers regularly attending this event wanted it. ROAR received so many requests to do away with the handout rule in modified nationals that it had to happen.

Now, these gentlemen's agreements... nice to see the MFG's working together and ROAR hopes this kind of thinking will get them to propose a new tire rule for this annual event that they can all agree on.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #87
Team Tekin

Lars you sound like a comercial!

I'm just saying that while development won't stop, spec tires take stress off being number one in your area. So if Proline says "don't need to make a Taper Pin style tire, Losi has it covered." What would make them want to? I've always wished that I could get an R3 compound taper or X pattern tire. Pink works sometimes at our track but the R3 compound works better but alas, nothing close....
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
most people dont have any idea what is being tested.. i would bet that Losi, Pro-Line, and Panther are testing new rubber, molds, sizes, sidewalls, etc a lot more often than you think.

Case in point:

Team Losi X-3000 Buggy Tires

Team Losi now offers 1/10 buggy racers a new rear tire in the X pattern family called the X-3000. The LOSA7360 X-3000 is a development of the popular X-2000 tire that has ruled the racetracks for a number of years. The X pattern tread design incorporates a low profile square pin on either side of the famous Losi Xs that run around the center. This tread design proven to be a favorite for both packed and slightly loose track surfaces. The Losi development team has created a tire that still provides unmatched forward traction but is more forgiving in bumps and excels when side bit is critical. The team drivers have put in thousands of laps developing the new full radius carcass and stiffer sidewalls that provide a better feel on a broader selection of tracks. This remarkable combination makes the X-3000 easier to drive and a good choice for consistent performance as a track changes during the day. The X-3000 fits all popular 2.2 wheels and is available in Team Losis exclusive Pink compound (LOSA7360P) that is extremely popular for indoor tracks as well as their soft Red (LOSA7360R) compound that offers exceptional traction on both indoor and outdoor surfaces. All Team Losi tires include firm foam inner liners for proper support and performance. Look for these and all Team Losi racing tires at hobby shops and racetracks worldwide.

LOSA7360P 2.2 X-3000 Rear Buggy Tires (Pink) 12.99

LOSA7360R 2.2 X-3000 Rear Buggy Tires (Red) 12.99

A buddy of mine got to run those and I got to see them. He didn't like them as much as X-2000s at the time, but its still good that they are testing new ideas and designs.
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #89
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

Randy - I'm just statin' facts, and i agree, i think Proline is missing out on the 1/10th scale market. But who's to tell them that they need to make a Pink/Red equivilent, when they're owning the 1/8th scale market, know what i mean? All in all, in regards to this khaotic thread - To me, it just doesnt make sense how increasing the cost of attending the one national championship race we have, would be good for the hobby.

And for those of you that say you'd "like to see Pro-line guys run only PL tires, and Losi guys only run Losi tires." I wonder how many AE drivers would switch back to Losi, considering they would get plowed at every race if they had to run the current offering of PL rubber....???? Look at EVERY major outdoor and mostly all indoor offroad races in the last 5 years, and tell me what rubber 99% of the Modified A-Main drivers used *cough* REDS and PINKS. The 1% being Pavidis at the Cactus this past year, pretty sure he ran Inside Jobs on his Kyosho 4wd every round of qualifying. And Brownie didnt run Prolines at the Cactus he won in 2004, contrary to what the pics in the magazines would lead you to believe... But it's not just the cactus tho - Midwest Winter Champs, Losi Race, Shootout, Reedy Truck Race.. Any race at Long Island, Minnreg/Lake Park, Tiltyard, Columbus, Indy, Denver, Scottsdale, Tucson, Hot Rod, Albuquerque and a LOT of races in between, the preferred tire by Both teams, is Losi.....

I'd love to see Pro-Line enforce that rule again... it happened at the Cactus a few years back (Story Time!!) -- after day 1 of qualifying, a former AE/PL driver was told by PL that he had to run PL M2 or M3 tires on his B3.. knowing that he wouldnt have a shot in he|| to compete in the mains running PL tires, he went home, broke out a XXX with red tires for qualifying rounds 3 and 4, and proceeded to finish 5th in the Mod 2wd class... Thanks for comin'
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

EDIT