R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up New to RC, need opinions/help.

Hey guys, I have been "lurking" for a couple weeks now while trying to do some research into the Nitro RC scene. It has kind of sparked my intrest a bit and I was trying to figure out a good and reasonably priced way to get into this hobby/sport.

I am looking for a 1/8 4wd buggy or truggy thats rtr. I would like to get something that is more solid to learn with, but still would be competitive with a few upgrades. I have about 200-400 total to work with to get going... any more and my wife WILL kill me. I also would like something that has alot of aftermarket support. I know its a bit of a tall order, but after seeing how knowledgable the members here are I'm sure you guys can help me out.

Also where is a good place to purchase rc equipment online. I live in canada so canadian or american stores would be more practical. I know ebay is a great source, but I find with most things on there, people end up only saving a few bucks (if not overpay with shipping included) on a majority of items.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Silver

Last edited by SilverScream; 07-24-2006 at 11:12 PM.
SilverScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

i havent been into the nitro scene for a while...but you may want to take a look at the ofna or the jammin cars

www.ofna.com

look in the cars/trucks area

btw....nitro house is right NEXT to ofna...so you can order almost anything thats major in nitro from them

www.nitrohouse.com

i think the ofna hyper 7 buggy should be good for u...its a older buggy..but is solid..and is very raceable

*edit*
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Ultra%20Comp%202.htm
heres the ultra mbx comp 2. i used to have a ultra mbx back in the day. and it was a very good buggy. im sure the competition 2 could be just wat you are looking for. it is a lil heavy on the weight side..but it is a very durable buggy.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Hi, whatever you chose you will have a great time.

If you are new to nitro, I would suggest buying from your local hobby store, sure people on here can be helpful, but only as helpful as the information you provide....

The LHS may end up costing you a few extra bucks, but you are going to need their help!!
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

britracer, that is true. his lhs CAN help him..but remember..they have a job to SELL something. They might just point him into a sort of wrong direction...so here might be the best place to ask...and when he goes to the lhs..he knows EXACTLY wat to buy, and not get fooled by some guys at the LHS just wanting to make some extra bucks. I am not saying LHS' are bad, its just that sometimes..they are sometimes not helpful..or they just want to sell you something...

i would definately go for one of the newer ofna cars...and that should be good enough for you. the ofna mbx comp 2 is durable...a little heavy but it can be pretty competitive with the right driving skills. It should be the perfect beginner buggy.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Tech Elite

true, but for that price, they are all reasonably similar, ofna, jammin, sportwerks, whatever.

But if you break a part and want to fix it quickly, the LHS is the place, so yes, they will try and sell you something, but something they stock spares for.
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Go to your local track and find out what they race there. If you are looking to get something to bash with then I believe the team associated monster gt 4.6 is your best choice. It is large, powerful, and durable. It is a very competitive truck with a few upgrades in the limited mt class. If you are looking to get in to 1/8th scale racing or unlimited monster truck then I would recomend going to your local track and finding out what other people are running. As far as a truggy is concerned, the ofna mutilator will probly be your best choice. It is new to the market so not much is know about it. However, ofna parts are typicaly cheap to replace and the diffs are great. Another great place to find a new ride is at the local track. Perhaps you can find some one moving on from a beginner ride to something upper end. In the right hands any buggy/truck can be fast with a decent motor. Now, if 1/10th scale nitro is popular at your local track then I would advise that you start off in 1/10th scale. It is more budget minded and it will make you a much better driver in the long run. The team losi rtr xxx-nt II is the perfect choice for this. It comes with a great radio and electronics out of the box unlinke most other rtrs. What ever you decide to use to get your self in to the hobby it helps to have some one with knowledge of the hobby backing your learning process. It may be your local hobby shop, or track director, or a friend.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your budget doesn't sound like a realistic 4wd 1/8 scale budget. $200-$400?

If you are interested in racing, I would go to your local track and see what people are running and where they buy locally. Perhaps a used truggy would be closer to your budget. I'm told most of the guys around here that are competive have close to $2,000.00 Cdn into their 1/8 truggys.

You might want to consider another class of racing, like 1/10 2wd.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Elite

You can be very competive for around $600. Yes, you can get your self a new running car for around $400, but you realy want some extra room to race. You can get a great rtr 1/10th scale for around $350 new. I realize that you may want 1/8th or truggy, but I would advise against stretching your budget to the absolute max. As far as ebay is concerned. It is a great way to get in to the hobby. You can find cars for very affordable prices and if you decide the hobby is not for you then you can re-sale it with out much loss in value. If you search long enough you can find great 1/10th scale complete race setups for around $275 and great 1/8th scale rollers for around $200.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the great responces all! I can see why so many people are drawn to this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru
.... his lhs CAN help him..but remember..they have a job to SELL something. They might just point him into a sort of wrong direction...so here might be the best place to ask...and when he goes to the lhs..he knows EXACTLY wat to buy, and not get fooled by some guys at the LHS just wanting to make some extra bucks.
That is exactly why I wanted to do a bit of homework ahead of time. I may check out my lhs, but if they are as money hungry as they were a few years back when my buddy bought some stuff there, it may be better to only check out what they have and leave it at that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceracer
Your budget doesn't sound like a realistic 4wd 1/8 scale budget. $200-$400?

If you are interested in racing, I would go to your local track and see what people are running and where they buy locally. Perhaps a used truggy would be closer to your budget. I'm told most of the guys around here that are competive have close to $2,000.00 Cdn into their 1/8 truggys.

You might want to consider another class of racing, like 1/10 2wd.
I do understand that to get top of the line equipment people drop enormous amounts of money.. but Im not really looking to go out there and own the track my first time out. I also dont expect to only spend that much for the lifetime of the vehicle. Thats why I wanted info on products that had great support so that I can work my way toward improving them to eventually be competitive enough to enjoy myself and improve my driving skills along the way. Im a firm beliver that skill counts for twice as much as any addon could.
Then when I am 100% sure I want to go full blow and have a bit of experience under my belt I can decide to start dropping the big bills and go all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by party wagon
Go to your local track and find out what they race there. If you are looking to get something to bash with then I believe the team associated monster gt 4.6 is your best choice. It is large, powerful, and durable. It is a very competitive truck with a few upgrades in the limited mt class. If you are looking to get in to 1/8th scale racing or unlimited monster truck then I would recomend going to your local track and finding out what other people are running.....
I would if I knew where it was and had any ties to anyone that went there. But I'm not even sure if we have one close by. I'm pretty sure that theres one more towards Vancouver but Im not to sure if theres anything close enough to bother just dropping in after work one day.

Now I'm curious about the transmissions that these things use. Are they all similar besides the gearing? Ive noticed people talking about trannys with 2 speeds and others with reverse... whats usually the standard? With suspension I've seen stuff about different color springs and ??threaded?? shocks. Lastly are most gears made of steel or a metal compound, or do I need to watch for plastic in my vehicle choice?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

SilverScream

Last edited by SilverScream; 07-25-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Tech Addict

SilverScream

Your two best choices for what you are wanting to do are going to be the Jammin or the Sportwerks Turmoil Pro. Of those two the Jammin has better aftermarket support. But the Turmoil Pro doesn’t really need anything else. I know you are on a tight budget, we all are really and want the best we can get for the buck. IMO anything you buy in the 200 to 400 dollar range you will not be happy with in a month or two and you will be kicking your self for not spending a little more up front, I see it all the time. You will also have wasted 200 to 400 bucks! Do your self a favor and save a few more hundred, nothing less than 600 and save your self the aggravation. Most of the ready to runs are not setup to use a starter box and most of the roto starting systems are junk at best. Most of the servos that come with the RTR's are junk and won't last very long under racing or bashing conditions. IMO the only engine that comes in a RTR that is worth anything comes in the Turmoil Pro and it is a .21 which is race legal and the most common size where the others are .26 or higher and most of those are junk. I know the above might sound kinda harsh and not what you wanted to here but it is not sugar coated and it is the truth. I have been in this hobby for a while and have watched people dump endless funds into some of these RTR only to end up with a very expensive piece of junk.

Bump
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
Tech Elite

First off do your home work localy.
1st off-find out where the tracks are, when they race, and give them a vissit.
This way you can get a 1st hand look at the turn outs for each class. Odds are indoor is popular in that area so you may be limited on where you can run 1/8th scales. It would also be adviseable to find out what brand cars people are running. As a new comer it would make things much easier if you can get set ups and help from others at the track.
2nd-find out what brands the local hobby shops carry. Yes, tower hobbies may be able to send you a new buggy for a great price. However, you are not going to want to sit and wait 2 weeks for your $10 part to get to you when you break some thing.
3rd-you may be able to find a great deal on a used car at a track. If you decide to do this then be sure to ask around and make sure they are not just trying to dump their worn out car on you. The track director is normaly the best person to ask when it comes to this kind of stuff. His goal is to get more people on the track then the race day before. If he pisses off his customers then they won't come back. Plus, he is normaly pretty involved in what is going on and should know who has some thing to potentialy offer. The only other real advise I would give about buying some thing used is don't buy a used engine. If you shop well, you should be able to find a mugen mbx-5, or a xray xb-8 roller for $175-$225 shipped. Either of these two cars will be at the top of the food chain in terms of durabillity and parts quality. For a radio I would recomend picking up a used jr-xr3 or jr-xr2. You should be able to find one for around $40. For servos & an engine.
I would go with this for steering
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDWF8&P=0
and this for throtle.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHV5&P=0
For an engine/pipe I would go with this.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZ32&P=0
then use their special listed on the front page.
Then you need field equipment.
You can purchase the starter box,battery for the starter box, charger,reciever batter, glo plug igniter, and tools.
This stuff will all run for around $150 total. You can cut some from the cost off this stuff by replacing the reciever pack and charger with 4 aa batteries, this will take off around $50.
That will put you out at around $500-$575ish for a good complete set up that will realy allow you to enjoy your time at the track. If you are still content to keep your limit right around $400 then I would recomend this.

You will also need a pipe, I can not recall a good pipe w/ the rg off the top of my head.

If this is still a little too much for you then I would go with this. and replace the steering servo with the one I listed above.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1594

If you are realy looking to just bash then I would recomend this.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0887

The buggy and 1/10th scale truck will be very competitive out of the box. the mgt will need a few parts to bring it up to spec.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Tech Addict

A good all around pipe for the RG would be the OS 2050 But it is kinda pricey, about 100 bucks. You might be able to find a good used one for around 50.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
Tech Elite

you should be able to find a cheap pipe that will hold a tune and get you decent fuel milage for well under that price. O.S. pipes are pricey. If your going to spend $210 on a motor/pipe combo you might as well pick up a jp2 and a n21 bf.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I don't have first hand experience, but I'm told the JP1 pipes work well with the RGs, as does the Ofna 053 pipe.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

I appreciate the "sugar coated" facts. This is why I came here before buying. The suggestions you have all sent my way has given me alot to look at and compair. I was also wondering if you all thought anything of the Cen Matrix or the H. Bodies Lightning 2 Sport RTR Buggy?