R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Quick question about 1/8 scale buggy engine.

So, im getting a Sportwerks Mayhem buggy, but what engine should i get ? now, i dont want to spend a fortune, i just want something " cheap " and what size should i get ? is there any limitations on engines for racing or can i get any size ? with size i mean like .21 .26 .28 and so on. How about the STS .28 ?

Thanks.

Oohh, i forgot, im using the stock pipe, atleast for now.

Last edited by Swede#1; 07-24-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Swede#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

For racing the limit is .21ci/3.5cc, no more than that. If your new to racing or totally new to offroad pick up something like the OS 21RG, its inexpensive and doesn't have enough power to be a big handful on the track.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Take that advice ^^ and run!!
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Berndt,
My opinion is that you would never want to put anything more than a .21 in a buggy. Their already hard to control as it is b/c they have so much power. The OS RG is probably the best inexpensive motor out there and very smooth. Not a ton of top end but you could get someone to modify it when you decide if you want more power. I think you will like it. I too an getting an 8 scale this year, but I am waiting for the LOSI rig to come out. I may even seel my REVO
riverrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

+1 on the OS RG engine. I just started racing gas this year, and that motor has been pretty forgiving on carb tuning so I've been able to learn some stuff about engine tuning.

When tuned properly, those motors are faster than people think. I've been able to stay with engines that are two to three times as expensive on long straightaways, and have been able to clear every jump section that everyone else has.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede#1
So, im getting a Sportwerks Mayhem buggy, but what engine should i get ? now, i dont want to spend a fortune, i just want something " cheap " and what size should i get ? is there any limitations on engines for racing or can i get any size ? with size i mean like .21 .26 .28 and so on. How about the STS .28 ?

Thanks.

Oohh, i forgot, im using the stock pipe, atleast for now.

Just buy an STS .21B engine and be happy flying around the track ... if you need one, call Ryan at www.racernine.com ...

cya !

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Tech Regular

i have a os 21 rg bump start motor it has more then enough power to poll away from the pack .... so i would say get that motor...
rc pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Get your self an o.s. rg and a bump start. It will make your day at the track much more enjoyable. The o.s. rg will go toe to toe with most engines up at about 90 ft. and then a 300 power plant will pull away. However, you aren't going to notice this untill you have at least a good season of driving under your belt.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

RG=Really good!!
"Don't hate the pimp...hate the limp"
Your always welcome at zombo.com
BuckMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Hhhmm, it seems like the os Rg is popular I read here : http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6122 That the engine runs hot with the stock head, is that anything you have noticed ?

Thanks for all your help guys !!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Tech Master

Yes, I have noticed that. My engine doesn't put out good power until it's tuned to run 260 degrees F or higher. This temperature doesn't seem to harm the engine either. Two gallons through mine so far, and I still have good pinch. I've had a few runs where it came off the track at over 300 degrees as well, and I didn't hurt it doing that, either.

One thing to make sure you do if you buy this engine is to get the exhaust manifold gasket as well. They don't come with the gasket from the factory, and it's necessary to completely seal the exhaust manifold so you get consistent performance.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
TKO
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede#1
Hhhmm, it seems like the os Rg is popular I read here : http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6122 That the engine runs hot with the stock head, is that anything you have noticed ?

Thanks for all your help guys !!
The NOVA or King Headz option heads will drop the running temperature around 30-40 degrees. The RG's really seem to like a Jammin JP-1 pipe as well.
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO
The NOVA or King Headz option heads will drop the running temperature around 30-40 degrees. The RG's really seem to like a Jammin JP-1 pipe as well.

I ran a Nova head on my RG, and actually took it off after a while. I couldn't get consistent temp readings with the head, and there was a huge temp gradient between the crankcase and the top of the head (up to 50 degrees from what I saw)

Basically, my consistency improved when I went back to the stock head, and it was easier to get dialed in because everyone I race with was using the stock head, so I could mimic their needle adjustments and not have to adjust them much.

I might try the head again in the future, but for the moment I'm happy with the stock head.

I'm using an OS 2050 pipe with my RG and getting better fuel economy than any other RG racer I've come across. The power's been plenty good as well.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Another RG fan here.

I have the stock head...runs 230 or so and runs with pretty much anything at Revelation. I'm not an expert, but I had one drive it the other night and he was kicking the crap out of another good guy with a C6BB...LOL...with a $100 motor.

I don't know what it it compared to a JP-1 or T2050, but I have a 9886 pipe on mine and I don't seem to be lacking anything anywhere. Great deal and it holds a tune.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Well, it looks like ive been screwed over, i think the guy who was selling the Mayhem sold it to someone else And we had an agreement, oh well, i guess you just cant trust people theese days

Anyhow, thanks for your advise and help, atleast now i know what to get if and when i get another buggy
SUPPORT YOUR ONLINE HOBBY SHOP !!!!