Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Mid to High end RTR buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Mid to High end RTR buggy

Iam looking to get into the local 1/8th buggy scene. Iam looking for a mid to high end RTR buggy. So Far I like the Ofna Hyper 7 PBS. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sportwerks Turmoil hands down.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

i agree i think sportwerks makes the best rtr buggies, but if you want to race i highly suggest not buying a rtr because you will need to replace everything included and replace it with race quality components
Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

In sticking with an RTR, the Cen Matrix seems like a good offering. Comes with an FM radio and can be had for around $400.The Jammin RTR buggy is also a good choice, but much more expensive. My suggestion though, especially since you're already looking at the Hyper series...take a look at the Hyper 8. This is a pre-built rolling chassis. You still need an engine and radio equipment, but it will be awesome on the local club racing scene.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would go with the turmoil, but if you want high end get a kit.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

ofna is coming out witha rtr version of the hyper 8 but there is no word yet of the release date. if your not in a hurry you could wait for that.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

duratrax raze $279 or ofna violator $399 or hyper 8 or hotdies lightning $439 or kyosho 1?8 buggy are good also ..... it just matter what you lhs carries.....
Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Yeah....definitly NOT the duratrax raze! For rtr i vote jammin(i had one and it was great...could use a new steering servo) or maybe a hot bodies or cen. Ive read good things about them.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rocket42
i agree i think sportwerks makes the best rtr buggies, but if you want to race i highly suggest not buying a rtr because you will need to replace everything included and replace it with race quality components
Well iam sure that not everyone is racing $1000+ buggies, I dont need top of the line components to race. I dont plan to replace everything right away, only the steering servo.

I Have had bad experioences with CEN in the past so I dont want a CEN.

Ive looking into the Hyper 8, i Would REALLY like to buy the RTR but as it is said, The release date is still unknown.

Iam looking at the Turmoil here and I really like It. How would this compare to say a Hyper 7? and how reliable is the electric start?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

I'm new to 1/8 buggy too. I did the same thing you're doing. When it boils down to it, I wanted the most bang for the buck. With a Spektrum radio and receiver and a proven design in the Turmoil, it was an easy choice for me; Turmoil RTR. I figured I could always upgrade the motor to a good .21 anytime and the rest of the race caliber parts as I wanted/needed. I wanted to learn the buggy before I get too nuts with a faster motor and buying other hop-ups.

So far, the only issues I've had (after 1 gallon of fuel) is a few screws loosening, but that's my fault for not checking everything. The starter has worked good, but is a bit heavy and sometimes will torque out of your hands if you're not holding on.

Regards,
Troy
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Troy_Konitzer
I'm new to 1/8 buggy too. I did the same thing you're doing. When it boils down to it, I wanted the most bang for the buck. With a Spektrum radio and receiver and a proven design in the Turmoil, it was an easy choice for me; Turmoil RTR. I figured I could always upgrade the motor to a good .21 anytime and the rest of the race caliber parts as I wanted/needed. I wanted to learn the buggy before I get too nuts with a faster motor and buying other hop-ups.

So far, the only issues I've had (after 1 gallon of fuel) is a few screws loosening, but that's my fault for not checking everything. The starter has worked good, but is a bit heavy and sometimes will torque out of your hands if you're not holding on.

Regards,
Troy
Thansk Troy, that really helps. When did you purchase the buggy? And how does she perform and handle?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Accoroding to the OFNA site, the Hyper 8 RTR will be released for the Christmas season.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

crap thats a long time to wait. I think i will be settling on the Turmoil
Old 07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

I ordered it through my local hobby store back in late April/early May, but it wasn't bought until a few weeks ago.

Like I said I'm new to 1/8 buggy too, but when I was practicing with the local "good racers" I was able to stay pretty close with them considering they had a few years of time with their buggies. It seemed to handle pretty good. The most noticable thing to me was the steering.

I've raced at this track for two+ years in the electric stock truck class and made the jump to 1/8 buggy, because my electric stock lap times were better than many stadium trucks and monster trucks. I figured if I wanted to race truggy someday, I'll have a good base to start with and know the handling.

If you go RTR, check EVERY screw for tightness.
Regards,
Troy
Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

THis Question gets asked alot, At the track and here and on truggyracers.com

The best RTR for your money for an 8th scale buggy....It's the Jammin X1 CR.
Here are the reasons,

1) Great parts support
2) Cheaper parts than most
3) The Hyper 28 is one great long lasting power plant
4) Online and trackside support, You can down load the latest and greatest setups that the pros are using.

For those reasons its a great buggy and with only one or two hop ups and you can keep up with just about any buggies out there.

The Turmoil is too new and no pros drivers make it hard to find a super dialed setup. Like how AE has the Tebo Perfect setup for the RC10GT....
You need those things to help you become a better driver.

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.