R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default glow plug

would all you p5x owners be so kind to let me know what kind of glow plug is best for this engine? im running byrons 30% fuel any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
nitroveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I was just helping a friend get his tuned in and he was getting great results from a McCoy MC-59 (hot plug). I would have recomended a MC-8 (medium) or MC-9 (cold) but the engine ran great with the hot plug and a JP-1 pipe. It had more top end than I have ever seen from a P5.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run a P5X with a MC-59 plug, 30% Byrons, and a Nova 9886 pipe.
NP-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Tech Regular

P5X you want to run at least a NovaRossi C4 or C5s plug and you want a NovaRossi pipe , 063 or 086 that JP1 SUCKS compaired to the others and if your P5 is screaming with a JP1 it is not going to last very long !! I've been running Novas for many many years and they like Nova based pipes best ,if you use the 086 pipe make sure you use the long sweeping manifold . Also do not use ANY Ofna pipes they just are not the same as a Nova based unit.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Tech Champion

I would not have believed that the P5X would've been so good with the JP1 but his (my friend's) is. It's getting 8+minutes a tank @ 240f. There is no reason to think that the engine's life will be shortened by the pipe choice as long as it's not run too lean. Nova pipes do run nicely but they are inexcusably delicate. Just not appropriate for off road.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I have to agree with David here. I run a P5X and find the JP2 works best for me. I really don't pay to much att. to temps but on random checks it runs between 250-280 and I can go just about 10min. This is on a P5X that is going on its 6th gallon with only a rod change. Everyone is different just run what works best for you.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I ran mine on a JP1 ,and it had tons of bottom and no top end, then I switched to the JP2 it was smooth as all get up on the bottom and simply sceamed on top end , but was a pig on fuel , switched to the long header and Mielke 2011 (3 chamber 086) and it was simply stellar , then the front bearing went , replaced it ,con rod replaced at the same time ,and sold it . Now I'm running a NovaRossi 421 (the 6 head bolt one) and this engine is on it's 9th gallon ,NO rod change only the front bearing for safety and it simply screams !! Has tons of bottom and is the ABSOLUTE smoothest engine you could ever want !! I am really going to be sad when she finally gives it up .
I might give'r a pinch and a rod change in another 2 gallons or so , but right now it still has TONS of compression especially when it gets warmed up .
I must say I love Novas ,and I think most of the guys at my track do now as well . They are SO durrable with a tiny bit of knowledge on how to tune and keep filters clean .
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Actually, on the issue of conrods... After how many gallons does the P5X require a conrod change? I just got one second-hand that I was told had roughly 1/34 gallons through it for break-in. The bottom rod bushing looks like it has a little bit of play and I don't think I'll run more than 5 tanks through her before I change it.

Also, does anyone run the Vantage series carbon fiber pipes? I'd be curious to know what the consensus is on these.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america
Actually, on the issue of conrods... After how many gallons does the P5X require a conrod change? I just got one second-hand that I was told had roughly 1/34 gallons through it for break-in. The bottom rod bushing looks like it has a little bit of play and I don't think I'll run more than 5 tanks through her before I change it.

Also, does anyone run the Vantage series carbon fiber pipes? I'd be curious to know what the consensus is on these.

vantage pipes are MUCH stronger than normal alloy 1's but i duno bout performance and heat transfer....
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thanks guys for all the info, if im not mistaken is mc59 long reach plug? because i have some lc3 left over from my revo days and was just wondering if those plugs can be used in this engine. thanks
nitroveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Captain America there are a lot of factors that would determin the normal life of a conrod on any engine. Some of these would be dirt, fuel used, over reving, running too lean, bad rear bearing and so on. On average I would say a conrod should be looked at around the 2 to 3 gallon mark. On your P5X the crank pin and rod bushing when new measure 4.97mm. If the rod gets to be over 5.00mm its time to start thinking about a new rod. Also check the crank pin. If it is starting to get out of round and measures lower than 4.94 or so and is out of round a bit it might not be worth getting a new rod for it as it won't last very long with a bad crank pin. On my P5X it was time to replace the rod at around the 4 gallon mark. The engine is now getting close to the 6 gallon mark and still running strong, everything else in the engine has been un touched. It has been one of the better engines I have ever owned.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Tech Master

Hi Speedbump.

Thanks for the detailed answer. There are indeed many variables that contribute to an engine's longevity (or lack thereof); more perplexing when the powerplant is second-hand. In my case, this will be my first foray into nitro, and I feel that it's important to be armed with as much information as possible... Helps to avoid costly mistakes.

As it were, I also picked up one of the carbon Vantage tuned pipes & header unit (high torque.) I was scouring the net for user reviews on this thing, but they're surprisingly elusive.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Ya not to many people in our area are running that pipe so I will be no help there. The P5X has a very good bottom end and really dosn't need a bottom end pipe like the one you have. You would be better off getting a top end pipe for that engine. The 086 or the JP2 work well with that engine, I use the JP2.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
Tech Master

True, true. I was planning to get that pipe early on for an OS RG; the P5X was a more last-minute acquisition of opportunity.

I have to admit that I'm attracted to pretty much anything made out of carbon: being a long-time F1 enthusiast and having done some composite-laminating of my own, I find the material fantastic. Whether it will make for a decent pipe however, only time will tell. If anything, it's drastically lighter than a conventional aluminum pipe.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Tech Champion

FYI on the Vantage pipes, the difference between the speed and torque models is simply the header they come with. If you find that the torque does not allow for the top end to come out you could switch the header out for a shorter one. If I remember correctly, the speed version of that pipe set has a long header and the torque version has a crazy long header.