R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default begginner buggy

I am looking for a good begginner nitro buggy kit.Reason I want a kit is because I like to tinker/build a lot before I actually do sometihng.

Just noticed the rookie zone.Could someone move this or sumthin please?
blackraven64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

we need more info.

like....whats your budget/how much are you willing to spend?

but heres a nice ofna buggy..newest coming out i think..

http://www.ofna.com/hyper8pro.html

but yea, we need more info

btw, for a kit..you need the kit..the engine..and the electronics (just to let you know)
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have about $500 to spend at the moment to spend on the kit alone (not including the other stuff) but I can get more money just would take a little longer.

Last edited by blackraven64; 07-13-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Wait for the Losi 8ight!!!!!
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

then yea...wait for the losi eight.....and get some nice hopups for it...unless you want to get the inferno 777 sp2. i would definately wait till the eight comes out and see whats up. then go for it..with that 500 dollars, i would probably grab a bunch of hopups and tires. since you have a very high budget, then i suggest u get a spectrum system. like a dx3 atleast or something like that...

so a Losi 8 or a inferno 777 sp2 (btw, i think kits run around 400 to as high as 700 maybe? IM NOT SURE!! havent been into nitro for a looongg time)
some sort of good radio (for example..m11, m8, ko, spectrum, dsm) with spectrum
i would go with a 100 dollar servo for steering
maybe a 30 or 40 dollar servo for throttle..
a return spring (atleast..) this return spring, is for your "runaway" cars. i would atleast get the return spring...or you can get both a spring and a failsafe.
a good assortment of tires and rims
a good reciever battery pack
a good charger (for the batt. pack)
a starterbox..this will run you maybe 100 dollars..maybe..im not sure..get a quality one. OFNA sells very good starterboxes.
a decent battery for the starterbox...
a decent engine! go no pullstart! its faster..and trust me..you do NOT want to fool around with a pull start when they go bad..(sirio maybe? RB? OS?) i used to run nitro..and i got the xtm 24.7..its a good engine, but you might want something more "better" i guess?
get a good range of glow plugs (mccoy is good)
oddonel feel is good too (mccoya and oddonel..imo are top of the business)
well im not sure if im missing anything...so if i am correct me!

i know this sounds alot...but for a good quality car..and something that wont run-away and brake alot..id say this is what you need.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well for $500, (not including other stuff??you mean servos, engine, pipe, starter box, radio etc???)because if thats the case you can get a pretty sweet car thats not a beginner for $500. There are a few choices;

beginner & upwards;

Jammin X1; $450 to $550 all in - thats everything included, although if you were to go big races you gotta get some $ for a .21 engine.

Mayhem; $420 to $550 all in - same as above.

Turmoil; $550aprox all in - same as above.

Out of the above, the Jammin X1 is probably a bit easier to wrench on, but for the best bang for the buck i'd go with the Turmoil. i started with a Mayhem, & the Turmoil is the newer updated version, oh & it comes with a spectrum radio! I drove a friends the other week(pro Turmoil), & was fairly impressed.

Now if you have $500 just for the buggy, i don't know how much you're willing to spend on the other bits, but for some realy good pro kits & deals here goes;

Jammin X1 CR; $480 to $550 - Lots of people love this buggy, parts are nice & easy to get hold of, good handling, turns nice.

GS CL - 1; $380 to $580 - i own this one....i love it, handles realy well, accelerates great, very easy to wrench on. Only wish i could get parts @ local hobby shops a lot easier & cheaper too.

Turmoil Pro ARR; $370 to $450 or with a .21 engine & pipe $500 to $580 - with the engine & pipe(some like the pipe, others change it; JP1/JP2), this realy is a great deal, the engine realy rips, all you need is starter box, radio & servos, igniter, & fuel...i think thats it. & this one handles surprisingly nice. Wrenching on it isn't that fun though.

Hyper 8 Pro; $400 to $500 - This comes with a fairly good pipe, mostly built(80%), this handles realy well(drove a friends), the way my friend had his set up was very much like my cl-1, so i was very impressed with it. & for the money you're getting good stuff.

Losi Eight; $580 upwards - This is coming out realy soon, everyone wants one, well except me, but i'm happy with what i have. Its got some realy good new ideas designed into it, & by looking @ it, it should handle great.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

So if it was me, yeah i'd go with the cl-1(hey i have one), but i'd like the idea of racing a Hyper 8 Pro, i think this would be my 2nd choice. Oh & both these cars aren't the super expensive ones...so i like that.

Well i hope this helped & good luck racing.
Cl - 1 Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

thanks for all the help guys.I'm most likely gonna get the hyper 8 pro.but I'm gonna wait for the losi 8 and see whats up.When exactly is it gonna be out?I'm fairly impatient
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

when you say begginner buggy do you mean 1/10th electric or 1/8th nitro?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven64
thanks for all the help guys.I'm most likely gonna get the hyper 8 pro.but I'm gonna wait for the losi 8 and see whats up.When exactly is it gonna be out?I'm fairly impatient
A Main say sthey will have it in on 8-15

PW- 1/8th nitro buggy
Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

i would go for the 8eight.....it looks SWEET!!

wow a kit with a spektrum? is that the 1st thing to have spektrum in history?
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go with the hyper 8,it's a awesome buggy,at a great price.
the setup out of the box is pretty good too.
and it handels real nice..you wont be disapointed.

its a great buggy
micmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

8ight!
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

I just got the Turmoil RTR. $550 for everything but the AA batteries and a stick pack for the starter. So far I've only broke in the engine, but the .26 V2 seems to have some good power. It's my first 1/8 buggy and I didn't want to spend a mint for the best of everything to find out I didn't like the class. My plan is to upgrade to better motor, etc as my experience grows. Some of those kits by the time you get everything, it sets you back quite a bit.
Troy_Konitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

so I was lookin at the hyper 8 and its says it's pre-built.But then I went so some stores and some say it's unassembled while others say it's pre-built.Which one is it?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I believe its 80% prebuilt.

Honestly, you can always just take apart the buggy if you find one you like. Thats a nice way to learn too how things went together and may save you some dollars.

One buggy that I liked when I had it as far as parts quality for the money I paid was the CEN Matrix RTR. It had extremely beefy parts, came with an MX-3 radio and a .26 engine and some 1440z servos for Throttle and Steering. Very nice and can be had pretty cheap too.