Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen or XRAY??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Also, FYI, the STR's gear problems is due to the new Helical cut gears, and most people that I know that have the STR are also having the same problems. I have never had a problem though with my SP2 gears.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

While I have not owned an Xray I have owned a Kyosho SP2 and a MBX5. Both are excellent cars but I would have to say that I enjoy the kyosho more. The car has mega steering and goes through the rough stuff like its nothing. The mugen handled the rough good but the kyosho handles it better. The mugen probably has the most traction out of any car I ever drove but I never could get the steering that I wanted, the mugen is also very durable and easy to drive. It does seem that the Xray is sensitive to setup and it is very easy to get the car out of tune. Not that the car cant be dialed in but the drivers who are fast with an xray in my region are either extremely talented or have a lot of knowledge on setup. But one thing everyone says is the quality, fit , finish, and wear characteristics of the car are great. The Kyosho for me is just the all around best compromise of performance and quality. Just my .02.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

MUGEN MBX5 PROSPEC
Old 07-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
While I have not owned an Xray I have owned a Kyosho SP2 and a MBX5. Both are excellent cars but I would have to say that I enjoy the kyosho more. The car has mega steering and goes through the rough stuff like its nothing. The mugen handled the rough good but the kyosho handles it better. The mugen probably has the most traction out of any car I ever drove but I never could get the steering that I wanted, the mugen is also very durable and easy to drive. It does seem that the Xray is sensitive to setup and it is very easy to get the car out of tune. Not that the car cant be dialed in but the drivers who are fast with an xray in my region are either extremely talented or have a lot of knowledge on setup. But one thing everyone says is the quality, fit , finish, and wear characteristics of the car are great. The Kyosho for me is just the all around best compromise of performance and quality. Just my .02.

There are actualy new arms for the mugen which greatly increase the range of the steering. Typicaly you would dremel out the knuckle to get this range. Now, the buggy comes with this range stock and it can be increased even further if you desire to. Originaly the steering lacked this range because they wanted the buggy to be forgiving, however at low speeds it showed that the tight turning radius of a sp2 or ect. was very beneficial and a good driver did not have any problems with this so they increased the range. Something else I would not look at is how these buggies do in competition. Differant companies have a vastly differant sized team. Mugens team consists of only about 10 drivers. Where as companies like losi will do just about any thing to bring the best team to the track. Ask the locals what they like. They are the ones in the end that you will be asking for base set ups from.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've gotten my Prospec to turn underneath X-Rays. It's a matter of setup to get the car to do that.

I think they're both great cars, though. One thing to be aware of is that the Mugen guys are expecting a comprehensive update of the MBX-5 "some time soon." It doesn't sound like the upgrades will require a new chassis plate, but it's just something to be aware of.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

A lot of guys are now running the pro-spec w/ the ball cup braces off the original buggy because they are more forgiving. Perhaps it has updated braces that are more forgiving but don't wear out and become sloppy like the standard buggies do. X-ray offers soft braces as an option already.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

I love my mugen MBX5 prospec... It handles amazing! just doesnt turn the best which is the only draw back... but it grips so well
Old 07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run for RCAmerica/Xray and can honestly say that I like my XB8 more than the MBX-5. The car is incredibly easy to maintain and the set-up options are almost endless. One reason so many people don't like the XB8 is because you can "overtune" it, which leads to a frustrating car. Others dislike it because it just does not fit their driving style. Once you properly learn the car and the various setup components, it's easy to dial-in a badass setup. Not to mention the excellent forum Xray has going on with setup sheets that are easy to sort through and build your own. The quality of the XB8 is second to none.

Now for the Kyosho, I ran an SP-1 for a while before I picked up my 1st XB8 and the 777 is by far one of the easiest cars to learn with. Very forgiving and a great blend of steering/stability. The K-car is easy to pick up and drive no matter where you're at, and it only gets faster when you push it.

The TTR is a great buggy as well, it just has some bugs to work out when you first start racing it. S-Grid and here are an excellent source of fixes for the various problems that face the car. It's all about what you want to do and what you prefer.

I'd rather my XB8 to any of the aforementioned buggies, but that's personal preference. Some will say I'm biased because I run for Xray, but I only got faster when I switched to the XB8 from the Kyosho. The Xray has so many tuning options that are easy to work, once you get what each one does for the buggy, it's amazing to see the difference they make. Take it for what it's worth ...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

your completly biased because you run for x-ray what else are you gonna say, are you really gonna say i'am sponsored by x-ray but the mugen is a better car come on. x-ray does seem to just sponsor anyone from what i've seen for example they have no problem with there sponsored on road drivers running in the intermediate class at large off road races.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Perhaps he runs for Xray because he likes the XB8?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ephidelt490
S-Grid and here are an excellent source of fixes for the various problems that face the car. It's all about what you want to do and what you prefer.
Can't find anything one S-Grid, all computer nonsense?!?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocket42
your completly biased because you run for x-ray what else are you gonna say, are you really gonna say i'am sponsored by x-ray but the mugen is a better car come on. x-ray does seem to just sponsor anyone from what i've seen for example they have no problem with there sponsored on road drivers running in the intermediate class at large off road races.
Umm...yeah . Talk is cheap, and you do a lot of it . Keyboard jockeys like you are a dime a dozen man. From what I've seen, you can't even type a coherent sentence, much less give helpful insight to the guy's question.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Like I said earlier, the only one I haven't owned or driven is the Kyosho. I have owned Mugen, TTR, and X-Ray. Still have my TTR and X-Ray but I am driving my X-Ray. I just feel I can push the car harder than I could with any of the other chassis' I've driven.

Rocket42, Do you even know Ephidelt490? Because I thought he gave a pretty darn good response. I see his signature and see all the names in there. Look at mine. Do you see any car related stuff there? Maybe I'm biased too.
Sorry but my name stands better for me than any company ever will. I won't ruin my name just to get a little bit ahead, and from the sounds of it, neither will Ephidelt490.

Just my take on it.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Oh come on.

I CAN string a coherent sentence together and I think it's kinda lame for a "sponsored" (whatever that means in the R/C world...) racer to come on here and say "honestly" that the car made/sold by the company that "sponsors" him just happens to be the best one out there.

Most everyone thinks that their car is the best one...especially people who get free stuff for saying their car is the best. Do you really think he's going to tell you the full story? If he breaks some part all the time or has tuning issue he can't resolve...do you REALLY think you're going to hear about it from this guy?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

i say keep your kyosho. changing cars is peoples biggest problem in going fast. they never get to learn the car to make it go fast.

those who are not fast and instead of looking at your own driving ability and what you maybe doing wrong instantly blame it on and underpowered engine or theire brand of car.