R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #76
Team Tekin

Sorry guys but the new Tekin motors are different. I know there were some similiarities between the 1/18 motors but the new tekin 1/10 motors are different. Mamba doesn't offer as of yet(to the best of my knowledge) offer a ROAR approved motor. The Kv ratings will be different as well as the motor itself. I wish I could say more but I can't. I've heard it before on the 1/18 and it will not be the same on the 1/10. I'm pretty sure that one of the motors I tested was in the over 7kv range by more then just the hundredth mark also...
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Just when I thought Mamba was the way to go in brushless.... I think I'll hold off.... a few more weeks? Any more updates?
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Soooo,

Any news?
Mike Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #79
AI2
Tech Rookie

hey guys had a close look at tekins mini rage and mamba 1/18 lately? they look pretty similar to me... someone even mentioned they noticed the motors were the same. just look at instructions manual almost identical. also its not surprise that tekin rage 1/10 is also coming out shortly and guess which motor system has just come out recently? you guessed it mamba max. anyway you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put the two together.

so all this talk about other manufacturers simply putting stickers (gm/orion) is nonsense when tekin is basically doing the same...

btw nosram/lrp brushless just won the 4wd off-road Euros and also qualified 2nd in 2wd, so it can't be that bad... it remains to be seen how these new breed of sensorless brushless systems perfom on the off-road track in real competition. that'll be the real test anything else is simply hearsay.
AI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

They esc's aren't the same but the motors sure are. I'm probaly going to wait and see which esc has the more power for the money and then get it.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #81
Team Tekin

Manufacturers "share" or sometimes even steel other manufactureres products, make them different. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

I do find it very interesting that you all seem to know where everything is made, who made and who they got it from. Have you all driven the mamba back to back with a Tekin? They don't feel the same to me, that's for sure. Do you really think that Castle is manufacturing the motor in house? Come on guys... There are sooo many instances where two different manufacturers use the same vendor for parts it's unreal. Do a google search on any electronics and you will see numerouse "vendors" selling the same part for "their" product line.

If Tekin was really using Castles stuff why wouldn't they release it at the very same time!? The whole point in our industry is to get the best product out and to be first to market. Don't be fooled that this is all for out best interests. This is a "market" place and we the customers demand the best at the fastest rate possible. Maybe Tekin is making something better, waiting for a better part to be made. Maybe they found or did something betten then Castle. Maybe not. Doesn't the Novak and LRP systems look painfully similiar. So what the outer can looks different. When making a brushless motor there are only so many ways to do it. Same goes for the esc. How many fet's, what freq to run them at,etc. Pop open a few esc's and count the "same" parts in each one. Then note how many differences there really are. Let me think...add power to this motor, motor goes, done!?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default YGM

RANDY YGM..................
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #83
Tech Master

I'm hearing you Randy.

I for one, I don't care where the motor or the chips or the case or the leads or the heat sinks are sourced from. I care about buying 3 of the best brushless systems on the market for off-road mod within the next 4weeks.

Right now, Novak is the leading contender. The verdict is still out on the Mamba and I'd really like to consider the Tekin (as their reputation within the electric world precedes them) but.... there is only two "2 weeks" left in my time frame.

you dig?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #84
Team Tekin

Mike I'm picking up what you're throwing down!

All I can say is sorry it's not out yet. I know that it might not be good enough but if you could just wait it'd be worth it. I personally felt that the LRP was the smoothest for me, but it's all personal pref. The Novak just seemed to abrupt on the brakes. Maybe with more time I could get used to it. I do like the fan coming with the unit though. I've seen a few let the magic smoke out in my area when running on the large outdoor track. Maybe the had it geared wrong but I would have expected it to go into thermal...

My 2 cents.

These opinions are those of Randy Pike and are not neccessarily shared with any of my sponsors. Thanks you.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #85
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Any ides on the release date?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #86
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well about the Novak Brushless. This past weekend at the Region 10 championships, we had about 18 cars with Novak GTB brushless systems running in the mod classes. Brushless outnumbered brushed cars in all 3 mod classes.

One person had thermaling issues in his Losi 4wd. He didn't use any fan at all. Outside of that not a single failure or thermal the entire weekend.

* I run brushed motors and it felt weird to be around all those guys. I think my Brushed motor performed better then any of the brushless guys (12Dbl Epic Shock) as I had the motor to pass them if they gave me an opening. But I will probably move to brushless next season in at least one car due to the ease of maintenance!

I think Tekin has previously admitted that their 1/18th scale system is a rebadged Mamba. Or was that Trinity? I also saw from the Tekin prez, that he has said this motor is being developed inhouse by them. So I don't think their 1/10th scale will be a rebadged Castle Creations.

paul
Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pike
Hey guys,

Got back from Tekin HQ after testing the new brushless system. All I can say is

Wow

I've run the other brushless systems on the market (novak,Lrp) and can say this is by far the smoothest system I've run. The motor we tested were comparable to a 12x2 all the way down to what I would compare to a 6x1!! We were clocking a offroad truck going way over 60mph! It was a AE truck geared 87/18 and could lift the front wheels at any speed including a 40+ wheel stand! I couldn't get over the driveability of this new system. The brakes felt fantastic nice and linear. I was running well over 15 minutes without power loss. I can't wait to tell more but can't at this time. Specifics are still not allowed but I had to at least share the performance experience. It will be worth the wait, trust me.

And for those wondering a Roar legal version may be on the "to do" list...

How many cells were you guys using in your test run
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #88
Team Tekin

On the "speed" runs we were using an **** Lipo. But almost all of my "feel" testing was using a 3800 IB pack. I'm a racer so that's what I was wanting to test for. We did use the Lipos a lot to try and get it into a thermal shutdown but weren't succesful.

As far as a release date, I really can't say. I know what stage they were in as far as in the building proccess. Last I heard they were working on the case molds.

I am trying to talk Tekin out of a proto for our large local race so I can snap some photos of it and show how well it does. There is supposed to be some video of our "speed" runs. You will probably have to edit out my laughter!

Last edited by Randy Pike; 09-10-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #89
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Thank's for responding to the date.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #90
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pike
As far as a release date, I really can't say. I know what stage they were in as far as in the building proccess. Last I heard they were working on the case molds.