Wiki Posts
Search

friend bought new xxx-t ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default friend bought new xxx-t ????

my friend just bought a xxx-t im not very familar with electric trucks. i only run nitro. i know about capacities and how to charge batts and all that but i was tryin to get more of an opiinion from the guys that bash and race of what the next good performance upgrade is for his xxx-t. i told him the best thing i could think of. a li-po batt adn brushless system but he doesnt understand how anymore money could need to be spent. i tried tellin him that the better battery charger u buy in the long run yuoll spend way less just more up front and the high peak battery u buy . but he insisted on the cheaper one which i understand and all but u know its hard to convince people the first time they actually buy a performance vehicle and want to be compative u gotta spend a whole lot more.....
Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

I suggest against Li-Pos, as most tracks don't allow them. If he is running stock, it is all about batteries and motor. If he just got it, the major thing that will make a difference is being able to get around the track with crashing, and just practice.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

all you really need is a decent car...a good charger..good batteries...good motor and esc, and driving skills. I dont suggest lipo because well, you really dont need lipo to go fast. Just get some good nimh like gp3300s or 3700s, and get a brushless. i run a bk2 with a brushless, and it is plenty fast.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey.

Ive been running that truck for a while now. The only 'gotta haves' IMO are:

New motor (remember 15T limit on speed controller). The "trinity" motor it comes with is gutless and wont last long either.

A 19 turn motor like the komodo dragon or reedy quad mag will get the thing roosting - stock gearing should be fine for that combo. However, if you do put a brushless system in there he'll be blown away (being a nitro guy yourself, you'll prob be impressed as well!). I run an LRP 3 star and it's ridiculous - no dramas keeping up with my .18 ST!!

New tyres (proline "the edge" for the front, bowties/holeshots on the rear for racing or dirt works for bashing)

Dial in 0.5 or 1 degree camber for the front wheels with small amount of toe in as well. Apart from that, its a good truck and he should just build up a collection of batteries and get out there and have fun with it.

Other non-essential stuff (read: racing) are graphite parts and titanium turnbuckles...

You dont need to spend big $$$ to be competetive... but it makes things that little bit easier
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Find out what the track allows people to run.
If you go lipo, I would get a novak gtb 6.5, a 8k mah lipo, a duratrax ice, a balancer, and a power suply to get you going. You can dial out the throtle while he learns to drive it.
If you go stock/ nimh way.
Get a old used high end esc. You can find used cyclones and ect. for like $40. A decent servo would be nice to. Starting out all he realy needs is a non digital high torque servo of some sort $30. Then get him a set of matched gp3300s off of maxamps.com it's all he realy needs for off road. As far as a charger is concerned. All he realy needs is something that can peak nimh packs and charge at 5 amps. I would also reccomend a good battery cycling method as well. The new trinity dlp would be a good investment. It will keep his packs in better then new condition unless he completely abuses them. As long as you pull a nimh setup off the track before it dumps he should be fine. If he is going to be running stock then a lathe might be needed. Otherwise I would invest into the team checkpoint motors which should last you a good 50 runs or so between cuts if you spray them out with motor spray after each race day. As long as the lhs will rebuild motors then a lathe wouldn't realy be worth the money.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

The RTR truck comes with a JR metal gear servo... not the quickest/strongest thing out there but it's adequate. Same servo as the one shipped with DX3 radio gear....
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Hey.

Ive been running that truck for a while now. The only 'gotta haves' IMO are:

New motor (remember 15T limit on speed controller). The "trinity" motor it comes with is gutless and wont last long either.

A 19 turn motor like the komodo dragon or reedy quad mag will get the thing roosting - stock gearing should be fine for that combo. However, if you do put a brushless system in there he'll be blown away (being a nitro guy yourself, you'll prob be impressed as well!). I run an LRP 3 star and it's ridiculous - no dramas keeping up with my .18 ST!!

New tyres (proline "the edge" for the front, bowties/holeshots on the rear for racing or dirt works for bashing)

Dial in 0.5 or 1 degree camber for the front wheels with small amount of toe in as well. Apart from that, its a good truck and he should just build up a collection of batteries and get out there and have fun with it.

Other non-essential stuff (read: racing) are graphite parts and titanium turnbuckles...

You dont need to spend big $$$ to be competetive... but it makes things that little bit easier
hey mate where'd ya get the LRP 3 star from??? In OZ or over the net???
Im still loving the new komodo but a few more weeks and will prolly be time for another upgrade, hopin for an EDIT at the same time .. funded by the ATO of course mwaha
Old 06-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nang3
hey mate where'd ya get the LRP 3 star from??? In OZ or over the net???
Im still loving the new komodo but a few more weeks and will prolly be time for another upgrade, hopin for an EDIT at the same time .. funded by the ATO of course mwaha
Hey mate - got it at one of the stores over here in SA (Hobby habit, the place with the shmick new indoor tracks), its actually branded Nosram... but same as LRP gear.

Probably could have got it a lot cheaper online, but figure its a good idea to support the locals and hopefully they'll support me if i have any dramas with it (seems to be a serious consideration for brushless lol).

So.. edit huh? Dont you love tax time??? Apparently they (CAPA) are about to release one for my Falc ('95) but a little bit late for me - recently pulled the supercharger off and sold it!