Wiki Posts
Search

Help Identifying cells?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help Identifying cells?

This is basically for practice, but maybe I get a "usable" pack. These batteries were collected from here and there, so I really have no history for them. All I know is I had one that had obviously been converted to side by side, since it had no label (therefore, no idea what MAH is), and another thats a Dynamite 1500 stick pack that didnt work very well. Heres the bad part. I cut them both open and the cells inadvertantly got mixed together. Is there any way to distinguish what mah a cell is? I have a Super Brain 969 to check them out with. If I can determine which cells are which or if they are the same, maybe I can get ONE usable (side by side pack - YAY!) pack from the two "bad" packs.
Like I said this is mainly for practice, but I dont know what might/could happen by mixing MAH values.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The only way is to number the cells 1 to 12 than charge them one at a time at the same amps than discharge them at 10 or more amps and record all readings mah in and mah out, time and resistance.

The old ni cads would have a higer resistance and not as much voltage. Match the cells to be as close as possable than put the pack together.. A lot of trouble for a pratice pack. I have done this when a good pack has dropped a cell, you all so need a good charger.