R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Diff. Question

I was running my XXX-NT today and out of no where my diff. just locked up. Can't move it at all and I don't know if this is normal the diff. from what I felt on the bottom was pretty damn hot not sure if this is normal. Can I just pop off my drive shafts and adjust it or what?
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Hey there Marky Mark.

Sounds more like an idler gear or something else in the transmission has let go mate. If the diff breaks (i.e. tension screw lets go) then both wheels will spin free as a bird... if it locks itself up, both wheels will still spin but there'll be no differential.

If the wheels have jammed up completely then i dont think it'll be the diff - maybe the diff housing or, as noted above, one of the idler gears in the trans.
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Hey there Marky Mark.

Sounds more like an idler gear or something else in the transmission has let go mate. If the diff breaks (i.e. tension screw lets go) then both wheels will spin free as a bird... if it locks itself up, both wheels will still spin but there'll be no differential.

If the wheels have jammed up completely then i dont think it'll be the diff - maybe the diff housing or, as noted above, one of the idler gears in the trans.
Hmm I don't know if this help it goes backwards but is completley locked up going forwards. I was told at RCCA that since it hasn't been touched (the diff that is) for 2 quarts they said I might need to rebuild the diff. Bearings,gears a good cleaning the whole ten yeards but maybe I should look at the idler gear first
Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

dude go on aim, you know you could always ask me, and now you never do...anyway, open up the rear diff bro, and see wahts up. maybe a rock jammin the gear or something. check the diffs..check the motor, check the clutchbell...check the spur gear...missing teeth..etc. GO ON AIM! describe it to me in a little more detail and tell me what happened and i can most likely tell you whats up....you should know my sn! go on!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru
dude go on aim, you know you could always ask me, and now you never do...anyway, open up the rear diff bro, and see wahts up. maybe a rock jammin the gear or something. check the diffs..check the motor, check the clutchbell...check the spur gear...missing teeth..etc. GO ON AIM! describe it to me in a little more detail and tell me what happened and i can most likely tell you whats up....you should know my sn! go on!
Dude I'm only on during the nighttime some of us have jobs, lol I'll try to be on today
Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Bah, I found out the problem I had 2 rocks stuck in my spur gear, lol They were a pain in the ass to get out to Thnx guys
Old 06-27-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

happy ending
Aceboy is offline   Reply With Quote