R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Smile Oxnard Off-road track

Hello RC Racers-

I would like to explore the idea of building an off-road track here in my hometown of Oxnard, California. I'd like to get an idea of how many people would be interested. Please respond with your thoughts here or you can email me at [email protected]. It sure would be nice to have a local track!

Duane
dbellcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Tech Master

Default !

There's a couple tracks near you already. Theres Hot Rod Hobbies and Freedom Park, SoCal is kinda close but I'm all for having more tracks in the Socal area!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75
Talking

haha... HRH, Freedom Park and SoCal are NOWHERE near Oxnard. HRH is the closest, but even then it's a bit of a drive.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Tech Master

Isnt Oxnard near Camarillo? Freedom Park is in Camarillo.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

ahh...my bad, then. i guess i looked up the wrong freedom park. bad google, bad!

So then FP is closest.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Im up for a new track, it would be a lot closer than going all the way down to socal
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Hey dbellcpa

Freedom Park is a Great RC Park!!! Off-Road is kept-up and the On-Road is Limited to 1/10 scale ONLY and even for that its kind of Small if your used to Running on 1/8 scale Tracks, only thing is NO Power... You need to bring a Gen or be there when the Clubs there to get Power, but even then its Really Limited... If you looking to Build an RC Park I'd include an 1/8 scale On-Road Track, theres nothing out there that way. You'd have people from San Luis on down to Race and Up from SoCal(Some).

Have a good One!!!

Brad
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Indoor or outdoor??

Indoor - electric only.

Outdoor - make it big enough for 1/8 gas and monsters to run.

I know this is about offroad but have you thought about running an indoor onroad carpet track? It would be easier to go to Oxnard than to drive to Vegas or Gilroy.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Tech Master

Theres already enough 1/8th and truggy tracks. There needs to be more 1/10th GT and electric tracks.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Hey rcdude19641

I think if you Limit your Self to 1/10 scale Only, your really going to miss the Mark... Name One OutDoor Track that Limits it Self to 1/10 Scale Size Only... I think there All Gone... InDoors is another Story... 1/10 Scale Cars All run on 1/8 Scale Tracks(On-Road/Off-Road)OutDoors(Nitro), even Electric 1/10(On-Road/Off-Road).

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Obviously, your not building a track to do the RC world a big favor. You're doing it because it may be a fun way to make money. You won't last as a track if you don't watch your bottom line!! Also, you are not gonna make it alone on track fees. Many racers hate hasseling with track fees. The truth is you must have a pro shop to help supplement the cost of running a track.

Don't listen to what racers say. Look for who can be your customer at your store and your track. Who will buy product and benefit from using it at your facility and who will keep buying upgrades and parts.

Many tracks in the past have catered to racers and went bust. Thats because the racers got everything out of them and then they got nothing (no sales) to keep the doors open.(i.e. insurance, electricity, etc...)

Keep in mind that many racers get their gear either through some sponsorship or through some other discount online/ mailorder retiailer. Many of these guys bring boxes and boxes of parts just so they don't have to pay for the same part at the track's shop for a higher price.

This is nothing against racers, this is just the truth about running a track/ facility. The people you want are the father and son crowd looking for a place to hang and have some fun and would appreciate your services as a store or the guys who hang at the bowling alley looking for something different or even some of the guys from the local slot track looking to upgrade to RC.

So consider about who would benefit from your facility that would also spend money at your store. It may even be oval or dirt oval or just plain old parking lot.

Good luck.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgotori
Hey rcdude19641

I think if you Limit your Self to 1/10 scale Only, your really going to miss the Mark... Name One OutDoor Track that Limits it Self to 1/10 Scale Size Only... I think there All Gone... InDoors is another Story... 1/10 Scale Cars All run on 1/8 Scale Tracks(On-Road/Off-Road)OutDoors(Nitro), even Electric 1/10(On-Road/Off-Road).

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
Brad- Thats very true but if you build yourself a track for 1/8ths then its very hard for 1/10th cars to compete properly on it. For example Hot Rod Hobbies is a 1/10th scale track but runs 1/8th and truggies too. The build the tracks for 1/10th, but they just changed the track and made it more for 1/8ths and it is very very hard for GT and electric guys to drive on it. Im not saying limiting the track to 1/10th but just build the track for 1/10th but make some of the jumps like triples able for GTs and electric guys to double while the 1/8ths can triple.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Default What about Santa Barbara

We have a great off road track here in santa barbara it is located at Santa Barbara rc car assc. Check it out
8seccamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Hey YR4Dude

This guys has the BEST POINT!!! Sounds like you had a Track!!!, I think what he's saying and that of Location is a Big Point!!!

Well... unless you've Won the LOTTO...hahaha

Have a Good One!!!

Brad