Wiki Posts
Search

Evader ST EP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Evader ST EP

Hi, I am having heat problem with my evader st. All my electric accessory (esc, motor, battery) get heat up after of 5 minute plays. Can you help me out with this problem please?

I thin it might be the gears but i am not sure, Whta number of spur and pinion would you suggestion?

I am using trinity stock monster motor, novak XRS esc, GP 3300 battery.

Cheers,
Dustin
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

need more info, like what pinion and spur are you running now?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

duh! the electronics get hot after 5 minutes! its not much to worry about, unless it is so hot you can't touch it. if its that hot, something is wrong. gearing is probably it. do you have the stock pinion gear? (the one on the motor). if you do, you need to do this.

i have that same duratrax, and put in a different motor too, so listen. you need a LARGER Spur gear (that big black one). i would get an 88 tooth spur.

now, others will say that you should get a different Pinion gear to get the ratio correct, but if you only do that, you cant move the motor up to the spur gear. there isnt enough clearance. basicly, the 88 tooth spur gear will allow you to use different pinions without a problem.

why its fixed... adding the larger spur with more teeth was like taking 7 teeth off the pinion, therefor having the motor turn more to complete a spurs entire rotation. because of this, the motor isnt as strained, and runs cooler. you can think of this like a bike. if you are in gear 3, you go faster than gear 1, but it is harder to get going. what you will have done with the spur would be like switching to gear 1, or 2 instead of 3.

hope that helps, and i hope i didnt confuse you...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

It does get very hot that you could get finger burn. The spur has 88t, the pinion has 20t. I do not know if they are stock one or not. i bought them off from ebay.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

it all depends on what/where your running on...as in wide open track or technical...or thick grass or pavement
Old 06-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chokuwingstar
It does get very hot that you could get finger burn. The spur has 88t, the pinion has 20t. I do not know if they are stock one or not. i bought them off from ebay.
Sounds like the stock gearing, from what i remember. With a 27t stock, could probably go higher - but get this problem sorted before experimenting...

You have have some sort of dragging/binding?? Everything turn freely and smoothly? Is the pinion/spur mesh too tight?

I'd take apart the trans, clean/replace anything that's buggered then put it all back together and see if it works!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Noone has mentioned connections. Clean connections and solder points are important factors in giving the motor what it wants, and keeping temps down.

If you're using the old bullet style connectors, make sure they are clean and tight. Deans is a good idea for a replacement.

Make sure all wiring is not frayed at connection points. If so replace it with a good 12 gauge wire. Good clean solder joints are a must too.

A dirty motor will also cause a higher amperage draw on the system, creating heat. Make sure it's clean and the brushes aren't burnt.

I've seen a lot of people over look these points and wonder why it runs hot. Of course the above mentioned parts binding is also something to check into.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

I have already unassmebly the evader and assembly it back together, No wires on elecrtic has been cut. I am still recieve the very heat on all electric and still doesnt underand why. I dont knowthis but just wondering will capacitor help?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try gearing down to a 18 or 19 pinion. If that doenst work, try gearing with a 21 or 22 pinion.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

What type of surface are you running on? Are you running full speed the entire 5 min.? are you sure it's only 5 minutes???? ohhh and are you experiencing alot of tire spin during the run???????
Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

I am running it on hard smooth dirty ground just pretty much alike at track. There no much tire spin going on. Havent try change the low teeth pinion yet. will try it tomorrow.