R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Im a Begginer Help me choose a RC Truck (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/118824-im-begginer-help-me-choose-rc-truck.html)

j2chulo 06-22-2006 06:58 AM

Im a Begginer Help me choose a RC Truck

Hello guys im new to RC hobby. I want to buy a Nitro Car and i need some help picking up a car. besicaly i want the off road cause i want to be able to run it at a park and road. I want something that won't cost me a fortune. lol i will say up to $300.00 us. I being looking around and here is the information i had collected so far:

1-Traxxas Nitro Sport SE RTR
2-Nitro RS4 MT2 RTR
3-HPI Nitro Rush EVO
4-RC10GT RTR
5-JATO
6-HPI Nitro RS4 MT2 RTR

I know some of this truck goes over $300 but if is worth to get it i may. Remember im a begginer so i need something hard to break. LOL and a decent speed.

Thanks again hope to hear from you guys

bobf24 06-22-2006 07:06 AM

for a good quality truck, get the Associated GT, or the Team Losi XXXNT, for a cheap truck, the duratrax evader is pretty cheap and not on your list,

you get what you pay for thgouh, for me and what I would be doing (mostly racing), I wouldn't even consider anything but the assosicated or the losi,

if you will just be playing in a park and stuff, the HPI MT2 might be your best bet, since its 4wd, and they are pretty decent trucks,

j2chulo 06-22-2006 07:19 AM

Thanks bobf24 you are right i did not put the duratrax evader and yeah i seing this one on preaty much most forums. hmm but yeah for now i don't think im gonna use it for race since im just a begginer. like you said im going to use it at the park the most time. im going to check the MT2 and see if i can get it for a reasonable price.

Johnathan 06-22-2006 08:30 AM

many people think I am obsesed with this company, but im not, traxxas is great for biginners, because the parts are durable, and if you do manage to break one, you can go to almost any hobbyshop, and they will carry parts for it. i am fixing to sell my electric duracrap... err... duratrax because there arent any hobbyshops within practicle driving range that carries duratrax replacement parts.

i would get that traxxas if i were you, biggining. traxxas isnt the best/fastest, but i think its best for getting into this vastly large, complex, wonderful hobby. if you do want to race, you can always save your pennies, and buy a nice associated, or losi.

i would go to my lhs and see what brands they support before buying anything.

goodluck!

dodgeguy 06-22-2006 08:56 AM

Go traxxas. The e-zee start is great. I was never a believer in that system until I had my Reavo with one. It worked everytime for me.

HLFR50GO 06-22-2006 09:16 AM

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT SAVING SOME EXTRA CASH SO YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU REALLY WANT?

party_wagon 06-22-2006 09:37 AM

The rtr losi truck is also a good choice. It actualy come with a good radio.

j2chulo 06-22-2006 10:56 AM

well i like traxxas too and the easy start its great thats something i will like to get but hey if it don't come with it its ok. but here are the price and choice i have so far let me know what you think about the car and the price it go for. if you know a place cheaper that what i seing it let me know:

1-Traxxas Nitro Sport SE RTR w/Radio = $234.99
2-Nitro RS4 MT2 RTR =$314.99
3-Duratrax Nitro Evader ST RTR RC = $259.99
4-HPI NITRO MT2 RTR TRUCK W/NITRO MT-1 BODY= $314.95
5-Traxxas Jato 2WD 2.5 RTR/Battery/Charger Combo= $349.95
6-HPI RTR Nitro Rush Evolution= $251.95
7-ssociated RC10GT Plus RTR Complete Combo= $289.95
8-Traxxas Rustler RTR = $209.95
9-Team Losi XXX-NT Sport RTR = $269.99

bobf24 06-22-2006 11:59 AM

like i said before, the XXXNT is the best truck IMO, it comes with a really really good radio, and it has race proven performance and durability,

personally I think traxxas is junk, why cheap out on something that is marketed as a 'beginier' truck, it deosn't cost you much more to get the losi, and its such a better truck in every way,

also the losi comes with electric start too, and a very good, reliable engine, and if you end up getting more into racing, you can add real performance hop ups to it and bring it right up to the Pro level truck if you wanted to,

party_wagon 06-22-2006 01:13 PM

I would get the losi truck. Purchase some titanium turnbuckles off of ebay and a good non digital servo for steering, about $30. Then drive it like you stole it. The stock truck is actualy a very durable truck and very capable on the track when it is set up properly. 1/10th scale nitro is the one class that you can skimp out on some of the spending and still bring a super fast truck to the track. The only thing you will need to watch out for is the diff. Make sure that you break it in properly and it should last you a very long time. If it isn't set up properly then it will cause you fits and tons of frustration from the start. If your willing to invest into it, a $70 air compressor, an empty win-dex bottle, and some denatured alchohol will be able to clean the truck up clean as new in a matter of minutes. Then a light coat of wd-40 will keep it nice and rust free just like new. If you are only bashing though, I would just get the truck and upgrade the steering servo, the throtle servo doesn't have to be very good in those trucks.

Valentin.H 06-22-2006 01:32 PM

get the new AE GT2

IMPACTPLAYR 06-22-2006 06:44 PM

I'm sure he wants to spend close to his limit on a chassis kit so he can build it and then stare at it until he can afford the extra bits to finish it.....like..... a radio, servos, and an engine.......

Valentin.H 06-22-2006 06:48 PM

well looky here, mr smarty pants. why dont u suggest something eh?

btw, i am sure you can find a heck of a deal on a gt or a xxx-nt. my friend got one that was almost brand new, with a OS engine, tons of parts, rtr, with a starterbox, and it was for only $275

IMPACTPLAYR 06-22-2006 06:49 PM

remeber that the prices you have aren't the actual running totals... you still need accessories like fuel, aa batteries, a glow ignighter, and at least the traxxas truck will need a 7.2v battery pack and charger.......

Check on what is included in the box and what will be needed to get the truck up and running.... this may eleminate a few of your choices.....

Valentin.H 06-22-2006 06:52 PM

i run electric so dont look at me. i used to run nitro, but it was a pain.

you may be better off finding a good deal on a losi roller, sticking a brushless in it. less maintenence, and about just as fast. i woop alot of nitro cars, including my friend's 1/8th scale buggy (hyper 7). :lol:

btw, i run a bk2, and a ss5800 brushless setup. :nod:

vrrooom!~ :tire: ~