R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Post Read this, Very Interesting Intro. lol

Hello, I just started R/c about 3 months ago, but first let me tell you my situation, I live up in the mountains, with no entertainment exept my 4-wheeler and my computer with a generator, I got into r/c bassically to get away from my family, (I'm 15 with no social life) and bought a nitro rustler.
I loved it, and i really liked to jump it, but unfortuanatly i am independent with no one around who know's about r/c, or any mechanical things for that matter, and I learned fast, but the stock rustler is not durable enough for my needs, which includes daily running, and very high jumps, I put a very nice roll cage on there, and prooved to myself that i can take apart and put together the upper chassis. All i need to know is what I can put on there to make it more durable, I have about 1G Saved up for Any thing i please.
P.S. Whats the fastest engine I can put on it that doesnt require any mod's.?

Last edited by Krikit; 06-19-2006 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Crappy title
Krikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think you would be happier with a Revo.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster

i would prolly buy as much titanium as i could for it then if u dont want soemthin else but ya i would go wit something else for sure
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The best thing to do do durability is to replace the parts that break. I often times race at tracks that are 30 miles from the nearest hobby shop, so you have to bring many extra parts that you may break so that they can be replaced. The other adives is that I would run stiffer shocks and thicker oil then what comes stock on your rustler. This will help the truck to absorb landings better. As far as an upgrade on your current engine is concerned I would purchase an O.S. .18 CV-R. The engine is very very fast, and it comes with a two year warranty. I would also purchase one that is not pull start and buy a starterbox and glo plug igniter to go with it. In reality, there are more durable trucks that were better designed for the race track such as the associated rc10gt, and the xxx-nt. However, for bashing purposes you should be fine with the rustler. Just make sure you have spare parts on hand. Alulminum and titanium arms will still often times bend and they add lots of un needed weight to your car. Order yourself a bumper made by RPM, spare parts, and get some shock springs and diff oil that will help you to absorb big landings better and you should be fine. If you get an engine that requires a bumpstart you may need to order a new flywheel as well, I think the ones that come with the rustler are a little on the small side.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymster
i would prolly buy as much titanium as i could for it then if u dont want soemthin else but ya i would go wit something else for sure
Stupidest thing I've ever heard
1 Titanium is expensive, very expensive
2 Very few parts are made from titanium. Things like turnbuckles, screws and hingepins are basically the only parts made from titanium
3 It weighs way too much
4 In certain applications, plastics are far better than metals. Things such as A arms are better in plastic.
Maxxcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

a revo is what you need
Montegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The rustler is fine. Save your money so that you can invest into something that will allow you to get around the mountain every so often. A $100 o.s. 18 cv-r +$100 in starting equipment will make your truck go about 50-60 m.p.h. The front bumper will help it to absorb run ins with stuff. The stiffer shocks and thicker shock oil will help you to absorb landings. A set of big hard tires will also help with those landings. Use the same size rims, but there are differant treads that will add to the size of the tire that will give you more clearance.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

get a better truck. like other people have suggested. iono bout the revo, but my friend has a xxx-nt and it runs great, and he bashes it pretty hard.