R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Looking for Thoughts on Nitro - vs - Electric Run Times

Guys,

I'm still on the fence as to which direction to go regarding a new 4WD off road buggy. On one hand, I love the BJ4WE, and already have a brushless setup to use with it, but then I keep looking at the Xray XB8 TQ and start thinking about a nitro vehicle. What it really boils down to for me is run times... What is the max I can get out of running a nitro powered XB8 -vs- a BJ4WE with a brushless setup? I already own a Novak GTB with a 5.5

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Regards,

Last edited by GulfstreamIVCap; 06-18-2006 at 07:49 PM.
GulfstreamIVCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, say you have a IB 3800 pack with the GTB 6.5. You could probably get 10-12 minutes of runtime, and on the XRAy depending on engine from 7-9 minutes per tank.
DUB_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Adept

But in nitro you can quickly refuel before it dies and coninue running for 45-60 minutes straight.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Tech Elite

You can run for longer than that...basically, the fun with a nitro car stops when you're ready to stop driving it.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The novak gtb 5.5 will more then likely thermal and you will have to wait for it to cool off after 7 minutes or so in a buggy. Once you warm up a nitro and get it tuned you can pretty much run it as long as your reciever pack and radio stay charged. Just keep a fuel bottle at your side and fill it up every 8 minutes or so. If your looking for run time though a 1/10th scale stadium truck is the way to go. A properly tuned engine will get you a good 12-18 minutes of run time per tank if you have a good high end power plant.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only other form of power I would consider next to nitro is brushless. Some of their systems last over 20 minutes and the power is right there. Nitro will might fade a little to brushless, but the loyalists will stay nitro.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
The only other form of power I would consider next to nitro is brushless. Some of their systems last over 20 minutes and the power is right there. Nitro will might fade a little to brushless, but the loyalists will stay nitro.
Running what batteries? Lipos most likely.
I don't think nitro will fade really. Guys who run nitro seem to be different than the guys who run electric. We like the noise and working on the combustion motors and whatnot. Electric guys like the cleanliness of the electrics and the smoothness of the power. I run both but if I had to choose it would be nitro. Although my brushless is alot of fun it still doesn't feel like a gasser. The low maintenance of it is great though.

I'd go with the 1/8 scale though solely for the reason they are so dang durable. I've flipped my buggy heads for tails nonstop and did things you wouldn't think of trying with any electric/gas 1/10 scale vehicle and it kept on rolling till it was time to stop.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
The novak gtb 5.5 will more then likely thermal and you will have to wait for it to cool off after 7 minutes or so in a buggy. Once you warm up a nitro and get it tuned you can pretty much run it as long as your reciever pack and radio stay charged. Just keep a fuel bottle at your side and fill it up every 8 minutes or so. If your looking for run time though a 1/10th scale stadium truck is the way to go. A properly tuned engine will get you a good 12-18 minutes of run time per tank if you have a good high end power plant.
You can burn up anything if you gear it wrong...they will thermal if they're geared wrong, so they don't burn up. Gear them right and they run forever.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Tech Adept

You will get longer run times with a brushless/lipo set up. A 8000mah pack should provide 30+ minutes of run time. You would need to modify the battery strap for this size battery.
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
The novak gtb 5.5 will more then likely thermal and you will have to wait for it to cool off after 7 minutes or so in a buggy.
Grab your tinfoil hats, everyone!