R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default building the perfect shocks

HI, I am not very new to RC, and am a good driver. Unfortunatly I am not the best at set up, or wrenching on my car.
My buddy usually does all the work, and I drive.. Anyway, I am trying to ge away from this. I dont know what it is but for some reason I cant get my chocks to last more then one race, or one practice day. I have re-bult them, added oils, etc..
let me tell you what I am doing, you tell me what I am doing wrong.
First I put Losi green slime over all of the o-rings
then I add the oil, I move the shaft up and down to get all of the air out, let them sit for a while add more oil to where it is over flowing then I push the shaft 80% of the way up put the cap on and tighten.
What am I doing wrong ??
Please let me know how you do your shocks. If there is any online articles to point me to that would be cool as well..
Hrdluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

what exactly do you mean by you can't get them to last? all the oil leaks out?

i would read the instruction book for what ever car youve got, and do them the way it says in there, maybe you are missing an o-ring or a spacer or something and you dont know it, also you shouldn't be filling it till it overflows, there is usually a point where you want to fill it to, which is where the book comes in, they will tell you approx how full to fill it,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

It's a K3 and I dont have the book anymore..
I dont think the oil is leaking.. Whats happening is after I run all day my shocks just droop way down..
Hrdluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

dowload the 777 book, i dont think the method of build the shocks has changed on them,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

I'm really only familiar with tenth scale Losi and AE shocks, but they all work on the same principles. It sounds to me like the problem is that you're not bleeding them enough - you're leaving too much oil in the shock. If you're only pushing the shock shaft back in 80% of the way before you tighten them down, there is still too much oil in the shock to allow full compression. Thus when you're running the car on the track, and in a turn or off a jump the shock compresses all the way, you put tremendous pressure on the shock seal and it gives out. It sounds like your method for building the shock is fine. Just, next time, try pushing the shaft 97, 98% of the way in before you tighten the shock. After tightening the shocks down (no springs on yet), you should be able to compress them all the way with constant pressure, and the shaft should rebound just slightly when you let go. I'll bet they will last quite a bit longer.