R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

I think the biggest problem would be a fuel warmer to keep the fuel thin. It would be VERY heavy if it had one.

Here is a link for a bio-diesel conversions. http://www.frybrid.com/test.htm
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #47
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AE guy

Don't wanna be hatin on alt. fuels like shown above, so I thought you guys would enjoy this if you haven't seen it. I think it's impressive. And slightly on topic to some of what you guys are talking about with formulas/chemicals and what not.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/06/waterfuel.html

enjoy!
AE guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to better

ethanol and methanol take on water unlike gas. this make the motoroil go bad more than twice as fast thats way flexible fuel motors need sythetic oils. And remember you pay for a gallon of fuel, not per calorie(energy per gal) which is misleading to people that think they are paying less per gal.

how many farmers will overwork the US top soil to make that hard earned buck and make a dustbull and how much ag equipment runs on E85 and not fossil fuels.

the only way to not destroy the earth and go from point A to B is solar power, wind power and batteries.

And for people that think high Octane means high heat and less timming its the opposite Why is the most extreme heat pressure combustion engine a (Turbo motor) require a 91 min. octane to keep it from detinating from knocking.
If you don't run high octane in even your lawn mower your not a true gear head racer.

Last edited by better; 06-16-2006 at 09:11 PM.
better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #49
Tech Adept

www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/hybrid-motorcycle.html

Check out this slick hybrid motorcycle.
CarbonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #50
Tech Regular

I've got a deuce and a half with a continental multi-fuel engine, that will run on pretty much whatever's in the tank. It was one of the military's great inventions of the 60's that never made it to market, but it has a electolysis unit built in that will separate the hydrogen and oxygen out of water so that it will run on ordinary tap water...so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah

Granted, it takes about 100 gallons of water to go about 80 miles, compared to 20 gallons of diesel or gasoline...Honestly though, the only reason I have it is for the cool factor, and I've only jacked with the water thing once or twice. We run dyed diesel in it most of the time for farm use...
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I'm waiting to see if the European low-sulfur diesel fuels make it here to the States in the next couple of years. If so, then Audi, VW, Mercedes, etc will have a reason to send their highly developed direct injection turbo diesels here. VW already has their TDi engine here. My sister has one, and it's a great little motor! Stump pulling torque, decent horsepower, no smoke, easy to start and 50 MPG on the highway, 46 in town.

If all goes well, my next car will be a direct injection diesel. Audi's A4 comes with two different diesels in Europe that I wouldn't mind parking in my garage at all.

I won't miss the $60 tanks of gas for my pickup, or the $45 tanks of gas for my Cadillac! LOL
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb

Well, i drive a 50 mile to the gallon of gasoline Honda civic, and SUV's and other gas hogs and air polluters offend me, so just shut your trap, don't believe everything you read or hear and maybe you'll learn something.

now keep your ignorant mouths shut.
i can carry your civic in my 4 wheel drive expedition's luggage compartment and still get 14 miles to the gallon. tell ya what.....let's go head to head with a head on crash between your civic and my expedition and see who wins.

peace of mind trumps price of gas anyday in my book.

btw....just to make ya feel a bit better, the wife drives a 99 civic and loves it. she's doing our part of the save the planet thing. i won't drive it....too small for me.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu
I'm waiting to see if the European low-sulfur diesel fuels make it here to the States in the next couple of years. If so, then Audi, VW, Mercedes, etc will have a reason to send their highly developed direct injection turbo diesels here. VW already has their TDi engine here. My sister has one, and it's a great little motor! Stump pulling torque, decent horsepower, no smoke, easy to start and 50 MPG on the highway, 46 in town.

If all goes well, my next car will be a direct injection diesel. Audi's A4 comes with two different diesels in Europe that I wouldn't mind parking in my garage at all.

I won't miss the $60 tanks of gas for my pickup, or the $45 tanks of gas for my Cadillac! LOL

The low sulpher IS here in the US. It came out June 1. By Sept 1 80% of highway diesel sold will need to be of this new low sulpher fuel. And by the end of Oct all states will have the new fuel. It does require more crude to produce. So we will see a spike in price.

The Clinton admin started this one.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
The Clinton admin started this one.
Stupid Clinton administration...always worrying about the future. What losers those guys were...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #55
Tech Regular

A few Facts

Ethanol and methanol are a high octane rating 110 or something. They bure a little colder than petrol 110f to 150f or something like that. Any petrol engine can run these fuels but you need to change the fuel storage and delivery system to something that aclcohol won't corrode, braided aluminium hoses.
Yes it use more fuel per a gallon as the flame burns quicker than petrol but since it a renewable source i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Bio diesel

If you get it from vegitable oil or used vegitable oil the cetane rating is lower than biodiesel from directly process rapeseed oil or palm oil or crimbe oil. As it been heat cycled and the molecule have broken down. Any diesel can run it provided it is mixed with 20% of normal diesel for chip fat oil. You can run pure biodiesel provided it been treated with an anti gelling agent 100% pure. As it gells up at around -10C or something like that. Also you need to clean the crap out of fuel system before using as the fuel will clean the crap out for you but dump it in the engine.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Since this is way off topic anyways...LOL...

Alcohol-based fuels don't really have "octane". From what I know/hear...octane is a chemical and they don't have it. You can try and develop an octane equivalency rating to try and compare it to gasoline...in the case of methanol, the research number is in the low 100s and the motor number is...well...for all practical purposes "undefined"...100+undefined/2 = undefined. That means that essentially, you can't detonate a motor with methanol if it's fueled properly.

You can definitely kill a motor by detonating it with alcohol, but only if you have the air-fuel ratio completely wrong...well actually, just by running it sorta lean. Lean is NOT where you want to be with methanol.

Also...alcohol-based fuels burn SLOWER than gasoline, not faster. They burn hotter and slower. The additional fuel you add (unless you want to kill the motor) cools the parts down, but the fuel actually burns much hotter.

If you want to see this first-hand, throw a small cup of gasoline onto concrete and light it...then do the same with methanol. Gas goes "poof", lights all at once and burns yellow with sooty smoke. Methanol, OTOH, lights slowly (well, the flame front advances slowly...), burns with a dark blue flame and leaves no residue whatsoever...no smoke, no soot. It's really a great race fuel.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Not sure if you guys heard or not, but a Bio-diesel powered Audi won Le Mans last weekend, and the other entry came back to finish 3rd after swapping a tranny late in the race.

The cars were nearly silent down the straights - the wind and tire noise over-rode the engine noise. They just made a "wuuuushhhh" around the track.

Other teams were commenting that they felt at a disadvantage running gasoline powered cars. Oh, and they could go 14-15 laps on fuel, while everyone else ran 13 per tank. (8.5 mile laps)

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/26766/
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSpeedy
Not sure if you guys heard or not, but a Bio-diesel powered Audi won Le Mans last weekend, and the other entry came back to finish 3rd after swapping a tranny late in the race.

The cars were nearly silent down the straights - the wind and tire noise over-rode the engine noise. They just made a "wuuuushhhh" around the track.

Other teams were commenting that they felt at a disadvantage running gasoline powered cars. Oh, and they could go 14-15 laps on fuel, while everyone else ran 13 per tank. (8.5 mile laps)

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/26766/
But Tim, what about all of the opinions posted on this thread that dismiss the possibilities of 'biofuel for a racing application' IDEA!!?? Certainly, that MUST account for something too....(hehehe)

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #59
Tech Regular

The Audi R10 that won Lemans had exhaust particulate traps......which reduced both emissions and noise....Strange seeing this car make nearly no noise.....

Dee-zell pow-wuh!!!
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Filipow
But Tim, what about all of the opinions posted on this thread that dismiss the possibilities of 'biofuel for a racing application' IDEA!!?? Certainly, that MUST account for something too....(hehehe)
It's not that you can't race with a diesel...it's just that it's a silly notion that the EPA is going to be cracking down on alcohol-fueled 2-stroke engines...so we *need* to go diesel or some OTHER "green" fuel. Alcohol is already "green".

You wanna go diesel...go right ahead...let us know how it goes and maybe some other people will try it, too.