Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another 1/8 scale thread: low cost KITs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Yet another 1/8 scale thread: low cost KITs

OK, so there are 387 other threads where the prevailing opinion is to just spend the money and get a Kyosho 777 Sp2 or Jammin Team or wait for the 8ight kit because they're awesome. I know that. I'm not going to spend $600 on a roller kit. And yes, I'm fully aware that there are tons of $500 complete RTR kits out there.

I'm looking for an 1/8 scale buggy or truggy KIT suitable for bashing and club racing. The price ceiling is $450 USD. I know once I add an engine, servos, etc. it will cost more than an RTR. I'm being irrational. The suitable options I've seen so far:

$250ish: Ofna/HoBao Hyper 7 TQ Sport
$425ish: Kyosho MP777 Plain kit
$450ish: XRay XB8R

Are the Kyosho and Xray really worth twice as much for out-of-the box performance? Any speculation on how long Hyper 7 parts will still be readily available with the release of the Hyper 8 (which doesn't qualify being 80% done). Are there any truggy kits out there that fit the criteria?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Right now on ebay there is a NIB Jammin Pro (not the Factory Team Edition) for $469.00. Spend the extra $19.00 and you'll be well pleased.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don't forget about the Sportwerks Mayhem and/or Turmoil. The Sportwerks line of cars have become very popular lately and you couldn't go wrong with one of these. Parts are dirt cheap compared to Xray and Kyosho, and your still getting a very competitive buggy.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Exclamation What??

You did not put the Hyper 8 Pro in there because it is not complete???
It is more complete that any of the cars you mentioned as far as kits go.
It has the pipe, header and all the performance parts you could want.
$415.00
You could buy tires or a good battery for the extra cash you were willing to spend.
Might want to look at it again.
It will out handle the cars you listed as well.
I'm not sponsored, nor am I supported. This is just a darn good buggy.
TEX
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Have you looked at this . .

GS Storm CL-1

http://www.gsracing.com/web/page.asp...tid=57&id=2876
Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Here we go again...

Mugen MBX-5 stock kit- $450. Comes with Crimefighter M2 tires which you will likely have to buy with whatever car you choose (these are THE tire at most tracks) and will cost you $45-50. All the other cars you listed are great kits too but I think the build quality of the X-5 (The X-ray is excellent too) and the fact that it comes with the right tires makes it the best value out there right now. At $450 anyway.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would go w/ the hyper 8. It wears realy well and the areas that do wear are cheaply tightened up. About $25 will get you a very tight buggy after a good 3 gallons of hard racing. The pipe it comes w/ is a perfect fit for the nova rossi n21bf or the rbconcepts 3 port econo. This setup should put you out for around $600 w/ a great roller, great engine, and great pipe.
Purcase a heat gun and non digital servos."they will last much longer then digital servos and cost you about half the price, however they will provide you w/ great performance." Another great choice would be the turmoil pro. It is a very competitive buggy that can compete w/ anything on the market and comes for around $575 for the great buggy, great engine, pipe and header.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

the CEN matrix Pro is a nice kit as well, its built like a tank, and performs really well out of the box,
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

I recently picked up a Mayhem Pro, and though it's an older car, it's proven to be a very durable one. I had an impact that SHOULD HAVE Broken something, and all it did was crack the front bumper...I'm very impressed. It handles well, and lucky for me, the LHS carries parts. I'd suggest going with a car that's popular in your area, then parts and help are never too far away.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Hyper 8 on www.speedtechnitro.com, at US$ 399 cant beat that one !!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I breezed through the replies quickly and only sall one person that mentioned the Matrix. We have the pro version and it rocks. We went from a Kyosho Kanai2 edition and the Matrix walks all over it. The first thing we noticed is how tuneable the buggy is and has awsome off and on turn in is. It handles bumps well also and jumps like crazy, it has the big bore shocks which is a plus. This buggy is very affordable and again an awsome car. You would not be dissapointed with purchasing one. Go to CENracing.com for some good vids. Go here to check it out and be sure to watch the video.

http://cenracing.com/cars/matrix_pro/matrix_pro.html
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

This is an age old question....and truthfully as I have found....there is no "answer". I have driven about 6 1/8 scale buggies at all levels of "performance". I like the Mugen, great car, good price. Kyosho handles great, but costs more. The sportwerks cars are in my opinion the best buy's for the money. The Jammin is a very proven car, and the Losi is the first amercian one. The CEN's are proving to win in more places (at least in my region.) But no matter what car I drove, once you find a setup I've driven them all at the same pace. They all do different stuff, and handle somewhat different, but when it boils down to it, I average nearly teh same amount of laps with every car. So buy a car that fits in to your budget, make sure it runs consitantly and go drive the wheels off it.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I heard that only the first 300 or 500 or something like that hyper 8's were pre-assembled. That may or may not be true, but if it then its back in contention as a buggy for you. From what I've seen the hyper 8 handles great, looks very planted.