Search

Cutting tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Cutting tires?

hey all,
read an article in rc car action it'd be an old issue by now but the article was on cutting and re shapping monster truck tires, most were narrowing the tires which is what i kinda wanna do
i want to take some pro line gladiator 2 1/10th truck tires and narrow to fit 1/10th buggy rims.
sounds simple all i have to do is remove bout and inch for the rears and an inch and a 1/4 for the front my question is how hard it the glueing?
will these tires be strong enough?
im putting them on a nitro buggy and want to run on loamy soil and grass hence the high tread profile,
i know ill have to re gear and all that but im curious to know if this will work??
opinions experience and tips would be great.
thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

I always use a sharp pair of sissors to get clean lines. I then a dab of Losi thick CA on a penny and apply with a hobby knife to put then back together. Just do a tiny section at a time an hold the two sides together with moderate pressure.
When you have finished glueing flip the tire inside out and fill any missed spots then you are good to go.
If you take your time they will stay together.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

have you tried running the truck tires on your buggy? Could be an almost direct fit, saves the hassel of cutting, might stress the buggy an RCH, but typically they have similar transmissions and set ups, might increase your ride height, but if you are just bashing the buggy, might not be that big of a deal?
Rod
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

the article ur talking bout is for the proline bowties.....reason they done it with them is because the tread is easy all round....y dont u just get some proper buggy tyres?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

because of the surfaces i want to run on there soft and loamy with some grass so i think these tires will be better.
as far as gearing im looking to change the gearing drop from a 15t clutch bell to about 13t
thanks Casey p thats what the article said so it must be pretty right
does any one know what kyosho rims are made of ie nylon or plastic the feel firm which means plastic but thought id check
Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

hey kyosho rims dont reactwith acetone so thats one less drama still is this gonna be difficult or do able?