Search

Indoor Nitro Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Indoor Nitro Fumes

Chemical or couch engineers,

Nitro Fumes are usually strong at indoor nitro tracks. Are there any negative effects to prolonged exposure to the exhaust fumes. My theory is yes. I base this on my on personal experience which is a nasty taste in my mouth after I marshal and a all day runny nose the following day. Indoor 1/8th scale is fun. I don't want to give it up. Would a 3m respirator face mask work. I know I would look pretty crazy, but it's better than the day after hangover.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

an indoor nitro track without a good ventilation/exhuast is not very good for your health and will have a long term effect. i dont think a regular 3m mask will cut it though. a gas mask will do but you will look silly and not very comfortable.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Fuel has been known to cause cancer in California.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Px3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer Allman
Along with glow plugs and suspention arms!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the respirator is rated for chemical fumes and has an activated charcoal filter then it would help. The same type of respirator you would use in a body/paint shop working with lacquers.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer Allman

So has living there
Old 10-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

At indoor races you ahve to be careful, cause you can get a thing called nitro burn. Feels just like your face would have been slightly sunburnt, especially evident at night when your about to go to sleep you will feel your face is hot.
Runny noses are common as well. Depends on how good the ventilation is.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is good to know. I thought I was the only person with a nitro hangover. Maybe it will turn me into a super hero
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I race nitro indoors and besides the noise (earplugs for the win) I think the fumes do have an effect on me. My track has a super suction system to pull the air out but the fumes still are pungent enough to saturate my clothes. I'm a nonsmoker so I can really smell the fumes/nitro residue/dirt on me and my car when I get outside the track area. My friend and I have discussed the next day effects like runny noses and the fact that sometimes we feel lethargic. I have no doubt it's unhealthy to expose yourself to it on a race day.

Let's try to live in blissful ignorance. If I learn too much I might want to quit!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhatPat
Chemical or couch engineers,

Nitro Fumes are usually strong at indoor nitro tracks. Are there any negative effects to prolonged exposure to the exhaust fumes. My theory is yes. I base this on my on personal experience which is a nasty taste in my mouth after I marshal and a all day runny nose the following day. Indoor 1/8th scale is fun. I don't want to give it up. Would a 3m respirator face mask work. I know I would look pretty crazy, but it's better than the day after hangover.
You know why I won't do indoor nitro OFF ROAD now, right....? However, if they are going to do 1/8th nitro on road....I might want to take a risk.