R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Pit man to Drivers stand two way radios? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/116759-pit-man-drivers-stand-two-way-radios.html)

WheelNut 06-05-2006 08:05 PM

Pit man to Drivers stand two way radios?

What are you guys using for radios in the pits? At my last race I missed a pit stop and ran out of fuel since I had no communication with my pit guy. Are any of you guys using some kind of noise cancelling radios? Any links?

Thanks.

Taurius 06-05-2006 09:31 PM

The best way of communication i have found out by now is a small rope, put one end of it on your leg and let it lay down, where your pit man stands, when you need to go to the pit, the pit man pulls the rope a little and you know you have to go. Simple

That0neguy 06-06-2006 02:35 AM

I like to scream.....It that isnt working then I would pull the car to your pit man and go up against the wall and opener up.Throw enough dirt and noise, someone will fuel you :)

Muswagon 06-06-2006 04:29 AM

Cell phones with blue tooth headsets.

tony2 06-06-2006 05:28 AM

me and my mate tried it at our 1/8 nats, when i was pitting for him, we used a handhelds with a mic and ear peice, great in thery but didnt work that good. it kept picking up the PA system

DP-buggyboy 06-06-2006 08:08 AM

One of the guys I race with uses one. I don't know what brand it is, but it is not VOX. It's got a button to push to transmit just like a CB radio, but it is a headset. That way, it doesn't pick up all the extra noise and continuously squawk in your ear.

I think they use it mostly for the pit guy to tell the driver when to pit, to keep him updated on his position and lap times, etc... The driver doesn't talk unless he can take a hand off his r/c radio.

AZRCaddict 06-06-2006 11:08 AM

I saw one of the guys at our track and a bright yellow flag. And when his guy would pass him he would wave it so he would know to come in on the next lap.

DAVE BERNATH 06-06-2006 02:07 PM

I am wondering the same thing

That0neguy 06-06-2006 03:53 PM

Im tellin yuh.Just scream at him.Or hop on pit lane and do a little dance to let him know it times. :) :rolleyes:

WheelNut 06-06-2006 06:53 PM

LOL, so I take it not to many of you guys are running some two way radio's in the pits. :cry:

dirtracer1 06-06-2006 07:06 PM

mental telepathy......either that, or throw an adult beverage bottle towards the driver's stand. if the first idea doesn't work, usually the second one does. if either of those don't work, then bottle rockets fired in the general direction of the driver's stand can sometimes work too. :D

Valentin.H 06-06-2006 07:26 PM

rofl, ive seen some guys with 2 way radios....headsets actually. but cell phones do work! ahhahahaha

A_Stratus 06-06-2006 07:33 PM

I just tap on the shoe and give a little holler up to the driver.

If I'm racing I sometimes yell down I'm coming in a lap early or something just to get out of traffic or something like that. If I see theres a wack load of people infront of me and potential people we can take me out, I just come in and top off then. Only when I'm near empty though. This way I have clear track a head of me when I come out.

MadRacer 06-09-2006 12:26 AM

Hi i bought a 2 way micro radio system from Dick Smith for 80 bucks.. I wanted for the qld state titles. It has a ear piece and a button that clips on your collar. It works fine but needs to be louder as its a little soft on volume. The next one up i think would be better for $120. It has over 40 channels and works ok.. came with recargeable batteries and charger..

Aaron Waldron 06-09-2006 12:43 AM

I might be way off, but I thought for some reason that they were illegal for ROAR/IFMAR races?

I know that air horns were the communication method of choice at the 2000 Worlds in Vegas.

I haven't been to a track yet where you would need anything other than a holler to hear your pit man, but maybe some places it's necessary?