R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default ESC Settings.

I recently bought a Novak GTB 4.5 System for my Losi XXX-T.

My brother likes to drag race with his vehicles and do speed runs. So i drag raced his 12 year old RC10T, equipped with a Novak Hammer pro ESC, and 11 turn motor, both of which are also around 12 years old. We both used the exact same batteries.

I thought i would beat him easily, but i only won by a hair. So i am thinking that i do not have my ESC set up right. Im using an 86T spur and 14T pinion, as the manual suggested.

Shouldnt the 4.5 be a lot faster than his 12 year old 11turn motor?

I also raced his JATO, he blew me away with that hehe.
SmokinPhred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

dno dude...11T motors are pretty dam fast...dosnt matter how old it is if its 1 year old or 20 years old....electrics dont lose power....im guess the 4.5 is brushless right? i guess if u go up acouple teeth on the pinion or down a few on the spur u should get some better speed....i dont realy know jack shit about elec..lol im just tryin to help out
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd gear it up a bit. Particularly if you're not having any problems with heat at the moment.
From my experience, the gearing suggested in hte manual always "ers" on the side of caution.
As i said, gear it up a bit and see how you go. Besides this, if you're racing it, experimenting with different gear sets will allow you to tune the most top end out of your truck whilst still having enough juice to cross the finish line.
Another thing to check is the current limitter you may have set on the speedy. I'm not overly familar with Novak BL ESCs, however on the Hacker i have I have a series of different current limits i can set, in order to improve runtime. Also, the timing may be adjustable. I'd look at that too.

Cheers

Oh, and one last note:
Erm... Electrics do lose power over time... that's why there're can zapping services out there.
A_Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The Veloci 4.5 motor draws a huge amount of amperage, you NEED to have very good batteries to get the best performance out of it. I would suggest something like an SMC 4200 matched pack, or an Orion platnium lipo if you want to spend the money. I raced a buddy of mine running a 19T and a venom 3000 battery, he was running the Veloci 5.5, it was pretty much dead even, although he had a bit more top end. That was on carpet so traction was not an issue. Also I would try going to a bigger pinion gear, if your ESC isn't getting hot/quite warm by the end of a run then your not exploiting the full potential out of the system.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default RE

Thanks for the replies and info. I took it into the LHS just to see what they say, as my brother was going there for the 3.3 Traxxas engine for his Jato. He messed with the ESC and it does seem a bit faster and more powerful. Yeah my batteries are probably not all that great, they are team orions v-maxx 3300 mah, they were $50 for a pack of 2.

The speed control and motor do get hot to the touch, but not so bad that my fingers get burned. I generally run it for 20 minutes per run. the bugs and mosquitoes really get on my nerves hehe. at the 20 minute mark, the thing appears to be at full speed still. so i guess i could try gearing it up a bit more.

when i bought the system at the shop, they told me stories about how fast these novak systems are, so i was at high expectations. but it really does move fast, and the battery last forever heh.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Yeah, its your batteries, get some IB4200's and you will not beleive the speed.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default RE

Are IB cells better than GP cells?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Depends on who you talk to, but most people will say "Hell Yes." or something similar, although I've heard the GP's are a little harder to ruin (By discharging below cutoff etc.)
As i said earlier, I'm still not all that overly familiar with the Novak setup, but if you have Lipo cutoffs on there, I'd highly suggest getting lipos. Their runtime is so much better, and even if you don't you can get tack on voltage cutoff gauges anyway. For the price you'll pay for Matched IB4200s, i'd go lipo.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Default RE

The novak systems do not have that lipo cutoff limit, from what i can find. Im gonna wait on lipos, as my LHS told me that lipos are fine for Touring cars and on road, but the vibration from off road could make the pack explode. also they do not even carry any lipo packs. weather or not that is true about vibration making them explode, im gonna wait till they have more development. For now, i will try out them IB4200 matched cells.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Hmmm Lipos exploding from vibration...
Makes the line of "My mini-t goes like a rocket" take on a whole new dimension.

I've not heard of them exploding from vibration, however, I've heard of them poping from physical damage (ie. from a big hit). This is why I get packing foam and double tape it all over my Lipos so that vibration doesn't do anything and most hits are taken in the sponge, not the exterior of the cells.

Cheers