R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default How much diff oil in the Diff?

Hey guys I bought a Jammin X1 CRFT kit and I was wondering the manual told me to fill the diff boxes to 100% and I filled it with enough oil so that the gears were fully submerged in it, is that over filling it?

EDIT found my answer!

Last edited by EnderWiggin; 06-03-2006 at 01:49 PM.
EnderWiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

What's the answer? I've been wondering the same thing myself..
rwlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

just enough to cover the shafts the spider gears are on.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Fill the diffs to 80% to allow for heat expansion!

7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

crap, well I filled mine right to the top of the gears and then screwed in the screws etc and lets it ooz out. The kit calls for loctite which type should I get?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Oh and another question I put together the front gear case and it seems like the small bevel gear in it hits a rough spot around the diff. case gear should I worry at all about it? or is it just the gear around the diff case has to wear in?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Guys:

The best way to build diffs are very simple if you do the right things.

1. Take diff cases either new or when rebuilding the first time on the flat side and rub them in a figure 8 motion on a flat surface on #400 emery cloth and then clean them . This will make the cases perfectly flatt.

2. Build the diff as instructed and fill them to 80%.

3. Place some silicone gasket sealent on the filled diff case. Then place the gasket on the diff case, line up the holes properly and give it about 10 minutes to set. Then place the large bevel gear (front or rear diffs) or spur gear (center diff) and tighten it down on the opposite rotating method. Just make the screws good and tight. There is no need to over tighten as you'll just strip the diff cases. Then take some of the silicone gasket sealent and place some over the head of the screws to cover them and some also on the small set screw. This silicone sealent is easily removed upon your next rebuild.

4.Then you shim your diff properly in the bulkheads as instructed. Then place some grease (I use AE black grease) on the bottom of the bulkheads before attaching them to the chassis. This will stop dirt from entering the diff area t and keep the bevel and pinion gears in much better condition and the internal clean.

5. Some diffs need to be reshimmed after some run in. Again go back to steps 2,3,4 and you should be set to go.

Your diffs should not leak if built properly and you should be able to get at least 2-3 gallons of fuel through them before the diff oils need cleaning and a rebuild is necessary.

enjoy.....

7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I guess I'm just a jackass....
When you guys say "fill the diff" are you talking about one half of the housing? In other words, the housing splits in half (upper and lower cup). Do you just fill the lower cup 80%? As I said... I must be a jackass, cause I dont understand this... I guess I am confused because I can't figure out how you get oil in the housing with both 'cups' screwed together...

Last edited by rwlkr; 06-10-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

holy crap... not only am I a jackass, but I must be smokin' crack... I just realized that the two 'cups' are just the damn housing... the actual differential is the case inside with the gear attached to it... man..

So, to put the icing on the cake, I cleaned out all of the grease that was inside the two housing halfs because I thought this is where you put the diff oil. Can I just put a little automotive grade axle/bearing grease back in?
Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

don't pack the housings with grease - that is the dumbest thing to do. It is ok to use a little grease on the gears - axle grease will work, just don't over do it.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Another point to look at is the oil does not expand when it gets hot.One of the Jammin Team members at the Winter Nats in Red Deer told us to fill the diffs 100% full. It is like filling the shocks, you dont want any air and the operation will be more consistant. I have filled mine this way and they dont leak and work flawlessly. As 7.5man said , the cup must be sanded on a flat surface to ensure a good seal between the cup, gasket and gear. Have fun
B-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote