R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster
Default need help installing my .12 draked

i cant figure out how to install my stock flywheel onto the crankshaft the engine comes with this black thing that slides over the crankshsft up against the bearing but i just cant fiugure it out the races are tomorrow at 10 so i dont have much time to break the motor in please help
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Just take the nut and black thing off that came on the engine, they are not needed. then put a shim against the bearing and then the collet and then the flywheel. What vehicle are you trying to put it in.
rgb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

im installing it on a xxx-nt i tried that my stock shim and collet wont fit over the metal piece right before the bearings. i is spose to be a direct fit but it aint fitting over it/
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take the "prop" washer off the shaft, you don't use it. Now you should be able to slide the collet (cone thingy) on the shaft. Put the flywheel over the cone thingy and tighten it down with the clutch nut.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Tech Regular

i just got on tower hobbies and looked at the motor i thin they sent me the standard edition instead of the draked because on the drake the carb body is silver it has no black thing over the crank and has just a collet on the shaft. the standard has the black thing a black carb body and no collet this is the one i got . so i guess they messed up the order.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Well look at the plug and cylinder.Does it look ran and broken in?(also you shouldnt have to brake in the draked.He runs and tunes them himself.So if it hasnt been ran then its not the draked.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Tech Elite

OK this time I'll go slower: Both engines have the same threaded crankshaft.

Remove the nut from the shaft.

Remove the washer.

Remove the Prop Washer.

Do you see the bearing? Yes. Good.

Throw those things away, you will not be using them.

Now you should have a threaded crankshaft sticking out of the engine, right?

Take the collet from your old engine and slide it onto the threaded shaft.

Take the flywheel and put it on so that it goes over the collet. Does it rub on the crankcase, No then continue. Yes then place a small shim between the collet and the bearing.

Take the clutch nut and screw it onto the threaded shaft.

Assemble the clutch according to the manual.

Reinstall the engine.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by That0neguy
Well look at the plug and cylinder.Does it look ran and broken in?(also you shouldnt have to brake in the draked.He runs and tunes them himself.So if it hasnt been ran then its not the draked.
Drake only blueprints and assembles the engines, he doesn't run them in. That's up to the consumer to do. Aaron Waldron affirmed this.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Tech Regular

arecee thanks for the help my man. they did send me the wrong one. look at the pics on tower hobbies. any way the draked is spose to come with a collet of its own installed but this one doesnt have one and my stock collet doesnt fit over it.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Don't go by the pictures shown by Tower, they have made many mistakes before. Look in the box it came in. The copy reads the same for both engines the standard and the premium.

Usually engines are shipped with the prop washer because some people used to break in their engines using a propellor.

I'm surprised that your collet doesn't fit. It is from a Losi XXX-NT RTR isn't it?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
Tech Regular

ya i pulled it right off my old motor i looked on trinity to and the draked version has just the threaded shaft and its own collet not that prop thing u was talking about i think they might have mispackaged it
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Well a 5mm shaft is a 5mm shaft regardless of manufacturer. That's why I'm surprised the collet doesn't fit.

Also you are looking at pictures taken by a photographer hired by the marketing people and all they do is to take pictures of whatever they're given to photograph.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
Tech Elite

OK I attached a couple pictures of an engine with the prop washer on and off. The three black things are the prop washer, washer and nut which are what you don't need.

Now look at the crankshaft. Does yours look the same? This is a standard 5mm threaded cranshaft just the same as either Drake version from Trinity. A 5mm collet fits over those flat parts on the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
need help installing my .12 draked-pict0004.jpg   need help installing my .12 draked-pict0002.jpg  
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
Tech Regular

ya thats it but my collet doesnt fit on it and it was spose to come with a collet check out the pics on this http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/engines/drake12.html see look this is the draked different color carb and the collet on that looks different to me i dont know maybe they just forgot to send a collet
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Some engines come with a collet but most do not. The one in the picture I sent didn't come with one. (That model was my old Fantom, ran great for 8 gallons before giving up its compression). I don't get it, if you removed the 5mm collet from your old engine then it should just slide onto the 5mm shaft of the new engine.

If you look at the pictures from the Trinity site you will see that it is exactly the same one as on the Tower site. Why, because Tower uses the vendor's pictures and copy. Read the copy for both engines on Tower's site and you'll see that they are identical with the exception of one line of text describing Drake blueprinting the premium engine.

Besides that is a 5mm collet shown on the Trinity site. Also there is no mention of what comes included in the box on the Trinity site.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-02-2006 at 04:13 PM.