Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Offroad track obstacles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help with Offroad track obstacles

Hey, I don't know who caught a tire thread I posted last week but I mentioned that my team is building an offroad track behind my house. It's basically loose dirt/clay and I can make anything I want. So far the track has a few turns with burms, and one larger jump approx 4 ft. wide and 3 ft. tall, with a 4-5 ft. gap and then 4 ft. wide and 2 1/4 ft. tall landing double. I would have the say that's the main feature it has right now. I would like to know what you guys think I should add. The only other thing I can think of is whoops and more jumps.

What I want you guys to post is how high/wide the jumps and burms on a normal track should be, mine are a little smaller in proportion because of the work force obviously, and demand, but were trying. And then other things such as whoops like that, that your local tracks have or mine should too. I'm trying to be really open minded so feel free to let me know about w/e you want!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

What are you racing on the track? If its electric buggies and trucks, you can get away with 7-8ft wide lanes. If you are racing monster trucks and 1/8th scale, make your lanes 10-12ft wide.

In my opinion, triples are one of the funest obstacles. They can't be too hard to make, I made a small one in 30 minutes with only a shovel.

As for other obstacles, a couple more doubles, a tabletop, whoops section, multisurface (wood, carpet, flat rocks), a banked corner, a jump up followed by a step down, one lane jumping over another, lane width changes, elevation changes, chicanes, etc. Get creative with it
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Maxxcrazy
What are you racing on the track? If its electric buggies and trucks, you can get away with 7-8ft wide lanes. If you are racing monster trucks and 1/8th scale, make your lanes 10-12ft wide.

In my opinion, triples are one of the funest obstacles. They can't be too hard to make, I made a small one in 30 minutes with only a shovel.

As for other obstacles, a couple more doubles, a tabletop, whoops section, multisurface (wood, carpet, flat rocks), a banked corner, a jump up followed by a step down, one lane jumping over another, lane width changes, elevation changes, chicanes, etc. Get creative with it
Nice, yes those are the ideas I'm looked for. As a dirtbike rider I always hated multi surfaces so I figure my cars will too but who knows. I like the idea of the lane changing and jumping too. The only other problem with the multi surfaces is that yes this track is for electric stadium trucks and buggies, 1/10 and 1/18 so the track is going to be about 5-6 feet wide because 7-8 is hard to pull off in the area but I'll definitely try to extend the width now I realize I should even more...

thx maxx
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ya i used to race motocross to anyway i am building my track right now and i have a long sweeper in to a tight 90 and a step up step down into a triple with a pretty long landing its pretty sweet to see. i really dont like whoops to much they just beat up my truck to much
Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

also if u wanna take alot of the workload out of it just find a bunch of crap to pile under the jump u wanna build then pile the dirt itll save u alot of wheel barell loads.i used alot of 55 gallon drums and reinforced them on the inside with 2x4's
Old 05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

if you are into dirtbikes im shure you have seen this b4.

my favoriate jump set up:
a step up where you are steping up onto like a table top. with a small lip at the end with a landing hill not far behind that. can make for some different lines. you can eather step on then double off (faster) of it you get squirly aproaching it, single step up over the taple top portion, single again (slower).
Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Most important is placement of the jumps. Make sure they can be reached safely by a marshall so they don't take a Revo in the head and large jumps at the far end of a track are also a bad idea. Cars go off track without people noticing causing flameouts (more marshalls running in front of jumping cars) and loooong marshall jobs. Consider visibility too.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Step downs are fun - a series of "steps", 2-3 in. high, coming down out of a corner. I've always enjoyed tabletop-corners, where you come up the ramp, turn , and head down. Rhythym sections can be really fun if made correctly - they can lead to those different lines, like mentioned before. Triple jumps are a staple of tracks - a triple that is long enough to force even some modified cars to double-single it is a real challenge. It doesn't have to be all that large, either, if placed right after a slow turn or other obstacle. Finally, think about some off camber turns - build a 10' radius cone of dirt, maybe 2 feet high at its peak?, and put the apex of the turn right at the point of the cone. That creates a real driving challenge without the risk of breaking cars so much (you can always break cars, I know, but an off camber turn is much easier on equipment than a jump!).