R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default Okay finally settled on getting a gas car but now which one?....

I decided to go gas one more time my first I had some bad luck hit me I guess lol but now I'm willing to try again 3 years later older and have more money, hehe. I was told buy a used off of ebay so I can tweak and get used to gas but so far what I looked at (RC10GT,Rustler,XXX-NT,TC3) Were all within only $50 of a new car so I figured I'll just start freash and buy a new one. What is a good beginner car/buggy it doesn't matter to me I have both terrains :P. My choices might be stupid but remember I'm a newbie so work with me here. I'm open to any and all suggestions Thnx guys
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
mafiaracers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Posts: 3,759
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers
Default

well...if it's your first nitro car, you may think about getting something that you can beat on and learn on. The Traxxas Revo's are really good for that. Unless of coarse you are thinking of getting into some racing, then I would suggest something more along the lines of the Losi or AE car. You listed 3 off roaders and 1 onroad car.

Where are you most planning on running?
What interrests you more? On or Off road?
How much are you willing to spend?
Kit or RTR?

These answers will help us out a lot....
__________________
Chris Woods

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers
well...if it's your first nitro car, you may think about getting something that you can beat on and learn on. The Traxxas Revo's are really good for that. Unless of coarse you are thinking of getting into some racing, then I would suggest something more along the lines of the Losi or AE car. You listed 3 off roaders and 1 onroad car.

Where are you most planning on running?
What interrests you more? On or Off road?
How much are you willing to spend?
Kit or RTR?

These answers will help us out a lot....
Sorry about that 1. I'm probably mostly bashing it's not really super smooth so it's like a rough terrain so I guess buggy is my best bet. 2. Price whatever will get me buggy and get out Probably $500 MAX! Really no more if possible. 3. RTR I want to learn how to work them before I build them, lol
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,491
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H
Default

get the jammin rtr, seems like it would fit your needs

or maybe even the kyosho inferno sport rtr
__________________
-valentin
www.csjunkies.com
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru
get the jammin rtr, seems like it would fit your needs

or maybe even the kyosho inferno sport rtr
Looking into them now
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default

I would keep away from both of them. The inferno sport has horrible parts quality and just won't be worth the money at all. The jammin is a good car, but you will still need a few parts for it to be good and durable. I believe the best choice for you should be the monster GT by associated. It is a very durable truck that is big, fast, and loud. It will leave you money to spare as well. If you ever decide to race the truck it can be set up to race and be very fast on the track for about another $100. Bone stock it is very durable.

BTW it would be best if you purchased your new car from your lhs and not some where on line so that they can show you how to tune it and everything. The revo is another good choice, but it isn't quite as durable. However it is faster on the track out of the box.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
I would keep away from both of them. The inferno sport has horrible parts quality and just won't be worth the money at all. The jammin is a good car, but you will still need a few parts for it to be good and durable. I believe the best choice for you should be the monster GT by associated. It is a very durable truck that is big, fast, and loud. It will leave you money to spare as well. If you ever decide to race the truck it can be set up to race and be very fast on the track for about another $100. Bone stock it is very durable.

BTW it would be best if you purchased your new car from your lhs and not some where on line so that they can show you how to tune it and everything. The revo is another good choice, but it isn't quite as durable. However it is faster on the track out of the box.
I'll keep that in mind There's one in Oakdale (Where I live and Modesto not to far away) a Hobby Shop that is. So far I'm still pretty locked into the RC10GT now what about the Jato?
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,022
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

If your into 1/10 stadium, get the AE GT over the Jato. The Jato is cool, and sick powerful. But you'll eat tires like no tomorrow, especially if you run on road. The current GT is far and away easier to work on and AE is also coming out soon with a new GT. And if you think you might hit a track, the GT will be much easier to set up and run fast with. As for buggies...if you go RTR, the Jammin is a great offering. I would recommend getting a high torque steering servo before you run it though, and maybe a 5 cell recharchable Rx pack with a charger, rather than using alkalines.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
ProudSavageOwnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leboland Sydney NSW
Posts: 2,826
Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr
Default

go with a HPI savage 4.6 ss......its in kit form and u put in ur own electronics wich is realy good.....saves u upgrading stock RTR cheap electronics.......i got the 4.6 ss and i got noregrets with it at all......read my signature and ull see all the mods i got done to it...its by far pretty much boof proof....lol....and i even let my 4 year old neice drive it in the backyard without me worrying that itll break or nething....

if i was u i would stay RIGHT AWAY from kyosho....its totally CRAP... my mate got a inferno 7.5 sports and its just problems lol....

the associated MGT is real nice...i got the engine that the MGT used to have in my savage.....thunder tiger pro 21BXR....pops wheelies like no other.......i just love it
__________________
FG leopard comp w/Trevor Simpson 28.5 bzm crank
HIP Baja 5sct
AE tc5 3.5t speed monster,Futaba 4pks
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Thnx for everything so far guys I appreciate it . Like I said I'm not a racer so the RC10GT so far performance,mantience etc is sounding awsome and I might consider a SS or another T-Maxx or Revo maybe
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default

If you wait a few weeks a new gt will be released. You should be able to then find top quality gts for much cheaper then new ones. I would also recomend getting a starter box or something w/ a roto start. In the long run you will enjoy it much more. The rc10 gt is also a very very durable truck.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default

Something else, the monster gt is more suited for getting into racing for you if you ever decide to race. The two cars are raced in seperate classes. The 2wd truck requires much more throtle control and a more precise driving style then the monster gt will. I would pick the savvage or mgt over a revo or t-maxx, they are just more durable. However, they are both race worthy in the limited monster truck class.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
If you wait a few weeks a new gt will be released. You should be able to then find top quality gts for much cheaper then new ones. I would also recomend getting a starter box or something w/ a roto start. In the long run you will enjoy it much more. The rc10 gt is also a very very durable truck.
Ok I noticed alot of the GT's were pull start can I buy a part from AE to make it non pull start?
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
Tech Adept
 
MarkieMark231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakdale,CA
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
Something else, the monster gt is more suited for getting into racing for you if you ever decide to race. The two cars are raced in seperate classes. The 2wd truck requires much more throtle control and a more precise driving style then the monster gt will. I would pick the savvage or mgt over a revo or t-maxx, they are just more durable. However, they are both race worthy in the limited monster truck class.
Thnx, I'll keep that in mind I'm just worried about getting another truck lol that T-Maxx that I had before was a pain but like I was told I guess I just could've ended up with a faulty engine
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15
Default

I have a Savage, Revo, RC10GT, and RS4 Racer2. I've had a few 1/8 buggies, and other cars.

The Revo is the way to go for racing monster trucks. CG is very low for a monster truck. No bump steer. There's lots of suspension adjustments that can be made. It's relatively light. The 2.5R engine is too small for my taste, but the 3.3 Revo is now availale. I have a STS.28 in my Revo. It's not that bad of a basher either. There are tons of hop-ups available. New shock ends are a must-do.

The Savage at the top of the pack for bashing. It's a tank right out of the box and very stable for a monster truck. There are only 2 issues with the Savage: chassis screws tend to come loose and the engine area is a bit cramped. There are many upgrades for it too, but I wouldn't do more to it than get adjustable upper arms (which are very cheap) and better pipe, this is if you get the X. I've never had an issue with the plastic shock bodies.

RC10GTs are very cheap used. They are much lighter than 1/8 vehicles, so they are easy to make fast. They are pretyy good for bashing, but I wouldn't get too rough. The only problem is the truck is more for tracks. You'll have more fun with a monster truck. the bigger tires, higher torque, and greater ground clearance allow for rougher surfaces, taller grass, rocks, curbs.

Buggies:
If you are bashing with a buggy, get a bashing buggy. That woudl be any of the OFNA line of RTRs, like the OFNA ULTRA LX COMP. New and RTR for $290 shipped. Parts are cheap. It's not competition worthy, but it doesn't neet to be if all you are doing is chasing the cat, doing donuts, tearing up leaf piles, etc.

On-road:
If you are not racing, stay away. It will bore you. You have to find fairly flat clean concrete/asphalt. Ift can not be used for jumping.
gasrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anything ever been settled on RCTech? or atleast in the Northwest? mkdut Northwest Racers 29 05-28-2008 12:37 AM
yay finally Leyler Nitro On-Road 10 08-06-2007 07:32 AM
I finally got a 4wd trdsupra88 Electric Off-Road 19 07-17-2007 10:42 PM
Finally!!!!! Platinum_Racing Electric On-Road 0 05-30-2006 07:25 PM
Finally!!! I got my first Gas R/C !! Now what? LosiFromHell986 Rookie Zone 24 03-07-2004 04:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net