R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I would go with the mgt, the motors seem to be pretty consistant, unlike the 2.5s that were in the older t-maxxs and revos. If you do have any engine troubles then purchase an o.s. RG. The motor is easy to tune and will get you lots of power for a minimal price. If you go with a mgt get the 4.6 version. You can find them for around $250-$300 used on ebay. If you shop well you can find them in great condition. Or you can purchase one new for under $425. The motors run well, they will get you around 4 gallons of run time out of them.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrc
I have a Savage, Revo, RC10GT, and RS4 Racer2. I've had a few 1/8 buggies, and other cars.

The Revo is the way to go for racing monster trucks. CG is very low for a monster truck. No bump steer. There's lots of suspension adjustments that can be made. It's relatively light. The 2.5R engine is too small for my taste, but the 3.3 Revo is now availale. I have a STS.28 in my Revo. It's not that bad of a basher either. There are tons of hop-ups available. New shock ends are a must-do.

The Savage at the top of the pack for bashing. It's a tank right out of the box and very stable for a monster truck. There are only 2 issues with the Savage: chassis screws tend to come loose and the engine area is a bit cramped. There are many upgrades for it too, but I wouldn't do more to it than get adjustable upper arms (which are very cheap) and better pipe, this is if you get the X. I've never had an issue with the plastic shock bodies.

RC10GTs are very cheap used. They are much lighter than 1/8 vehicles, so they are easy to make fast. They are pretyy good for bashing, but I wouldn't get too rough. The only problem is the truck is more for tracks. You'll have more fun with a monster truck. the bigger tires, higher torque, and greater ground clearance allow for rougher surfaces, taller grass, rocks, curbs.

Buggies:
If you are bashing with a buggy, get a bashing buggy. That woudl be any of the OFNA line of RTRs, like the OFNA ULTRA LX COMP. New and RTR for $290 shipped. Parts are cheap. It's not competition worthy, but it doesn't neet to be if all you are doing is chasing the cat, doing donuts, tearing up leaf piles, etc.

On-road:
If you are not racing, stay away. It will bore you. You have to find fairly flat clean concrete/asphalt. Ift can not be used for jumping.
Holy Crap man!! Nice post thnx I think I've been conviced to get a truck or atleast look into it. I'll look into a Savage or Revo. Couple of more questions now I swear I remember someone saying that any gas car will eat through about 4 gallons before you need a rebuild. Is this true? Also if it is how much am I looking at to replace? And I'm not really that handy with engines so far can any engine just be dropped in or does it need to be modified like clutch,spur gear all that crap. One more, lol once I get my truck running it really doesn't just eat through parts right, because I don't want to go through the hassle and drop $200-300 a week on parts lol.
MarkieMark231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

The rc10 gt will be the cheapest to maintain. Expect to replace the engine with a $80 o.s. cv and rebuild the diff, about $25. The savvage and revo will probly set you back another $25 more for the second diff. If you run it on the richer side for bashing then the engine and drive train should excede the 4 gallon mark. One other benefit of the gt is that you will use much less fuel. I can go through a gallon of fuel in one day at the track with a big block. However, the small block will only use up around a pint. Plus you will have another $100+ in the pocket after your purchase. If you throw some big bulky 2.2 size truck tires on a gt it will still give you the clearance needed to get over anything around your yard.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
Tech Adept

You mention I have to rebuild the diff. How long can I expect a diff to last and is it easy to rebuild I just don't want to get anything out of my league here
Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AE guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru
get the jammin rtr, seems like it would fit your needs

or maybe even the kyosho inferno sport rtr
^He's never wrong. First of all, the first thing I thought for a fun nitro is the 1/8 nitro buggy class.

To no surprise, RC guru is right on the ball lol

visit www.rc411.com to watch a nitro buggy shoot out, and RC guru is right the jammin performs the best in this video too!?
AE guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
Tech Elite

The jammin is a good buggy, however the braces are not very good and will break. The car already puts him at his $500 limit. It would seem much more logical to purchase a car in the $300-$400 range which would allow him to fix problems that the car has. Just about every car on the market has a weekness. Some just have more then others. Cars such as the rc10 gt have been on the market for nearly 15+ years and have been tried and trued untill they are both fast and bullet proof. If you want an 1/8th scale buggy I would go with the ofna 9.5. It is a tank and much more durable then other buggies for the price. Personaly though for bashing I would go with one of the following three ,they are super easy to get parts for and very durable.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDK3&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLU0&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMW2&P=0
Now, I may seem biased by pointing you at AE, but these two cars are very durable and the engine works well.
You will probly need to upgrade the steering servos in each of those and a new engine will not set you back more then $120 new.
the revo 3.3 is a great truck, but it will put you closer to $600 new.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
The jammin is a good buggy, however the braces are not very good and will break. The car already puts him at his $500 limit. It would seem much more logical to purchase a car in the $300-$400 range which would allow him to fix problems that the car has. Just about every car on the market has a weekness. Some just have more then others. Cars such as the rc10 gt have been on the market for nearly 15+ years and have been tried and trued untill they are both fast and bullet proof. If you want an 1/8th scale buggy I would go with the ofna 9.5. It is a tank and much more durable then other buggies for the price. Personaly though for bashing I would go with one of the following three ,they are super easy to get parts for and very durable.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDK3&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLU0&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMW2&P=0
Now, I may seem biased by pointing you at AE, but these two cars are very durable and the engine works well.
You will probly need to upgrade the steering servos in each of those and a new engine will not set you back more then $120 new.
the revo 3.3 is a great truck, but it will put you closer to $600 new.
Now someone on here said go for the HPI Savage would you say its a worthy buy?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE guy
^He's never wrong. First of all, the first thing I thought for a fun nitro is the 1/8 nitro buggy class.

To no surprise, RC guru is right on the ball lol

visit www.rc411.com to watch a nitro buggy shoot out, and RC guru is right the jammin performs the best in this video too!?
haha thanks ae guy..

hmm i heard the jammin was a great car. im not really into the monster truck thing..but i havent had a good experience with HPI, except for their bodies, i like their bodies, but ive actually seen a video where this guy drives a savage, jumps like 4 or 5 feet out maybe 3 feet high, lands front wheels first, entire chassis just bends i was like WTF?!? rofl. iono, havent seen or driven a savage. so i cant say anything..

btw, you might want to try the mugen =]
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I've heard its a good chasis, but the engines are garbage.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
I've heard its a good chasis, but the engines are garbage.
What the savage?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #26
Tech Elite

yes, the savvage. Personaly, if I was to spend the money I would purchase one of 3 things.
You can find complete race setups off ebay, great radio, an rc10 gt, a adam drake2 or 1, with starter box, a good motor and servos for around $375 shipped. This would give you $125 for rebuild if you did get jipped, however most of the time its a great buy. The other would be a monster gt new.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

mark, pm at ya
Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru
mark, pm at ya
thnx few more questions though