Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TB01 Rally: a few general questions >

TB01 Rally: a few general questions

TB01 Rally: a few general questions

Old 01-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TB01 Rally: a few general questions

I just ordered my Tamiya TB01 Rally Imprrezza and had a few beginners questions. I'm really looking for a good rally/tamiya FAQ, but I have some specific questions. I read a few posts about the TB-01 overheating; Is this with the stock gearing/motor?
I plan on leaving the car mostly stock for now(engine and drivetrain at least).
1.I am interested in 'reliability mods' i.e. heatsinks, etc(if the car overheats).
2.I am also interested in getting suspension with as much travel as possible to handle my gravel on pavement road

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default one more thing

Are there any specific RC Rally or TB-01 sites, prefferably forums?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It overheats most when you use the lexan chassis cover. A good upgrade is an aluminum motor mount. Not only does it cool better, it allows you to adjust the position of the motor for correct gear mesh and not the fixed setup from the stock mount.

Tamiya also makes a long arm kit which widens it greatly. Its pricey though, about $50-60. There is a forum on www.rccaraction.com under Electric Onroad forum. Look for the TB-01 thread.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

the long arm kit doesn't physically widen the car, it just fits longer suspension arms and offset hubs.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Defineately sounds like a must have for a rally car. I'll try out the stock suspension first, then see if it'll be worthwhile to upgrade

Last edited by Janders; 01-07-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Janders,
Welcome to the Tamiya family. Build it, Run it, Re-build it, And Run it Harder. Stay with it , you're bound to hear crap about Tamiya stuff....there's lots of support from your fellow Tamiya drivers...Let us know your progress.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default now to find a motor..

I need something low maintenance that can handle 50 ft straights at the most. I'm still a little lost on messing with the pinion/spur gears(18/58 with what mod motor?, or21/58 with stock? 16/61 is stock right?). You just multiply gears to get final gear ratio?I want to leave as much stock as possible.

Also while I'm at it... are ther any special tools I'll need to assemble the TB-01(1st true RC car)?

I'm ordering a Harry Higely(?) RC car book to get the basics, it's too bad no one around here(Killeen TX) RC races...

Last edited by Janders; 01-07-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't worry too much about motors and gearing until you've actually got and run the car.

The standard 540 motor and gearing will get the car rolling along at a decent enough pace for a total beginner. If you're only running a 50 foot straight, the standard Tamiya may well feel fast enough. I was racing last night with a Tamiya 540, and on a small track, you lose hardly anything to the cars with fast motors.

Tools are pretty simple - a number 2 phillips screwdriver (maybe a number 1 as well), long nose pliers, hobby knife ( I use a small file as well to smooth off certain plastic parts when they come off the sprue) - some small tools like an allen key and a box wrench come in the kit.

As for mods out of the box - again I wouldn't worry about the long arm kit until you've actually tried the car out - bearings to replace the bushings are an excellent investment (some, but not all of the TB01 kits have them installed - you'll have to check when you look at yours). With bearings, the car is faster, more efficient, and will have a longer life as well. Personally, i would never run a car without bearings.

Second thing is an electronic speed controller to replace the mechanical one in the kit - again, the ESC is much more efficient, and more controllable, plus it should have brakes, which you don't have with a mechanical speedo. It's worth getting a speedo that's rated better than the fastest motor you think you'll use (for off-road bashing, 15-turns will probably be low enough), from a quality manufacturer (you gets what you pays for, well most of the time).
Old 01-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default hmm

I was under the impression TB-01 rally's came with bearings. As for speed, I can never seem to have enough. I have a number of cheap Nikko/Tyco cars/trucks with some relay wiring running the stock 5-9v motors at between 15-20v(3 months I've been through about 10 motors and fried 3 circuit boards, along with shredded plastic transmissions galore) I just wanted a car with real suspension, and more hop-up abillity(not custom everything).
Thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

If you have the kit already ,it should say on the box if it has bearings in the drivetrain. If not, what kit number did you get??
Old 01-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default FEDEX is coming today

I'll post as soon as I get it.
It's the kit listed in my sig, from Tower
It has a link at the bottom for a complete bearing set, 'implying' that it does not come with one.
The car is kit # 58259
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTC80&P=7

Last edited by Janders; 01-08-2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, Part # 53398. Looked it up in the Tamiya kit parts list. I would definitely suggest bearings. My first car was a TL01 and what a difference the bearings made. Thats a very nice body with your TB.....I might have to get one for mine. By the way... you can buy bearings cheaper through other companies commonly advertising on Ebay. The Tamiya brand bearing sets are usually around 50 dollars. You can look at the parts list for your kit number on the Tamiya website, www.tamiyausa.com. You will find all the bearing sizes and counts there. I beleive there is a TB01 thread in the" Electric cars" forum. Do a search for "tb01" and you might find info regarding the correct bearings to get.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Tower hobby.
Part # LXD122 as listed for your car

In the forum, they also suggest part #LXD132 quantity(1) Tower doesn't make mention of it for your kit but it might be worth getting.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default got the car

It had a few(3?) ballbearings, and the rest were bushings. I think I'll order the kit, tower said duratraxx had a bearing set that would work for $12 vs. the Tamiya $42. I have it all together, and can't wait to run it tommorow and get it painted!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually...you're gearing would be off. 61/24 or 61/25 would ROCK with a good stock motor. (its what i run on my monster motored tbevo2)