Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
where can I get specs for vintage electric motors? >

where can I get specs for vintage electric motors?

where can I get specs for vintage electric motors?

Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default where can I get specs for vintage electric motors?

I bought a few motors and I don't want to blow my esc's so I need to know if there is a source for getting specs for classic electric motors. thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Back in the 80's they didnt say much as i can remember but have found out a few specs on them since. We use to buy the motor than gear it for run time that was it. Very hard back than to last 5 min in mod with 4wd on 1200 batteries. That was hard, it was common to see people dumping all the time and speedies weren't that effeciant to add to problem..
Tell me what motors you want info on as i might be able to help...
Old 05-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadRacer
Back in the 80's they didnt say much as i can remember but have found out a few specs on them since. We use to buy the motor than gear it for run time that was it. Very hard back than to last 5 min in mod with 4wd on 1200 batteries. That was hard, it was common to see people dumping all the time and speedies weren't that effeciant to add to problem..
Tell me what motors you want info on as i might be able to help...

these are what i have....I also have the monster horse in a chrome and black label version 1985 world champion it sounds like it turns at 20-25,000 rpm so I assume its stock.The others scream so I know they are modifieds I just don't know the winds,The reedy tri is an 11 turn I believe

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I hate to be the one to break tha news but, as with the newer modifieds, the only real way to know is if the armatures are marked. I have the same problem with some of my old motors. If it was a Reedy Rage, then it would be easy but I also have some of these and there is no way to know. U kin guess be the readings u wood git on a dyno but other than seeing how many wires are used (connected to each commutator tab) that's about all you'll be able to determine.
The problem is that most motors were named the same, as in a series of motors, but the turns varied, dependant on what wind was purchased.
Sorry, Dave
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi the buggywald is a 13 turn double, i think machine wound. I had 2 and were great in my XXT, I think its a short stack arm.
The trinity worlds chrome can i had and i think it was around a 17 turn. The old motors from kyosho & tamiya didn't change the winds or turn unless it was a different name like a Spa 480 And Spa 240 then you have stupid names like 480T & 480S ( T for torque and S for speed) that was Kyosho than tamiya motors like technitune and technipower than the technigold which i used a lot and was standard in the Big Wig and the Porche 959 i think. I know most spec's on kyosho motors and some tamiya.
The best way to use the older motors is to use a good speedie like a old Novak Cyclone cheap to buy these days and are pretty bulletproof. Old speedies will blow easy even with a mild motor as electronics dont like sitting . I store all my speedies in a plastic lock bag with a sachet of silica to absrob moisture. I blew up my old.. KO CX1 speedie due to the way it was stored on a 19 t motor yet raced it with a 16 triple. .