R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

i use to own a evo and evo2 both cars when set up right can be competitive in their own right. They jump just like any other cars and are great on open outdoor tracks.Its on tight carpet indoor tracks when u start to notice the difference, this is becasue the car doesnt have as much steering available as a losi or a B4. Mainly due to the fact that schumacher has had these cars out much longer thn the losis and B4s so the RaD will be better on them. This is just what i have found on the cars when i had use them for a couple of years.
Eldaddio Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:52 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

You may want to just contact schumacher direct and see what is going on with the vehicle.

The only thing with getting a vehicle rare like this is lack of setup support compared to the big guys and parts availability but if schumacher will still send you all you need, just stock up about 3 to 4 deep of the common broken parts.

You may also want to look at Tamiya stuff. I know they have a new buggy out, the Desert Gator that is 2wd and looks to be something you could compete with and Tamiya makes great kits. Probably would be easier to get parts for too and they will have hop ups for sure.

I know someone who actually imported the Academy Griffin Pro as he wanted to run something different as well and wanted an all Academy fleet to go with his SB, with a few mods, the vehicle performs quite well and will out-turn both the B4 and the XXX BK2 (when you have the mods on ) and its parts are very durable.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

I should have my Academy Griffin today and will be racing it tommorow. I think it will out-perform my current BK2, with the BK2 your always searching for steering. Hopefully the Griffin overcomes this. I will keep you guys updated on how the car handles. rc10b4 has a Thread on this car if you want to read up on it.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Someone at my track used to race one of these.I don't know if it was the Evo 1 or 2 but it was made of woven carbon fibre with a top deck, it did quite well.

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #20
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Nick, good luck with the Griffin, do you race the SB?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Schumacher is not concentrating on the off road segment at all right now. I'm sponsored by Schumacher and I race a little off road and drive a T4 because Schumacher just dosen't have anything competitive. They do have a CAT4000 4wd buggy in prototype phase right now. There were some pics released a while back and from what I've seen, it's going to be a very good buggy. Honestly, I wish they'd do something in off road, especially trucks. I'd love to run one. I hate having to admit that I drive an Associated car I remember back in the day when at our local track, if you saw a Cougar 2 in the pits or the truck version Storm, that was the most exotic looking thing around with it's Red Anoe'd chassis and wild looking bodies. They were the bomb. I just found these pics of an old Cougar 2.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 06-07-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Cain, Thanks, But no I didn't like the SB when I tried someone elses. I will stick with my XXX-4, it's running really good right now (aside from the cracked chassis). I didn't get the Griffin yet but should have it sometime after monday.

The schumacher Cat 4K looks interesting, but it looks like it would only compete on flat, Euro tracks. Same with the Predator, Both of them have very low stances.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

What is it with you people from the other side of the pond?.

Uk tracks are no way near being flat and there are also jumps as well, then you have multi surface tracks which makes the car harder to setup.

You do know the Predators and the Schuey cars have suspension travel on em right? well, last i looked the droop on the predator is higher by about 1mm than the losi XX4, go figure? ... The schuey cars can jump as good as any other as can the pred and they can both handle the rough, just the pred is a little fragile but the new X10 is promised to fix any mechanical weakness it may have had in the past. we shall see. The thing i loved about the Schuey was their tolerance for taking heavy punishment and 9/10 will still be in one piece in particular the Cat98-2000's models which is a very good thing cuz that gives you more time to think about your race and do minor maintanance to your car (ie motor) rather than fixing a broken one which is rather unsettling at times, im sure jon would aggree with that ..

I raced the XX4's for a while and they were fragile as anything(weak front wishbones and hub bearings), and i could'nt do 3 months let alone 1 season of racing without changing the belts but in saying that, they were good cars especially over rough terrain. Ok i raced 3-4 times a week but when i switched to driving a Schuey Cat98se, i didnt have to do any maintanance and nothing broke.

Last edited by Dirt-Racer; 07-03-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The most success I've had in off road was when I was running a Fireblade. When tuned properly, they were certainly as competative as the AE and Losi buggies - and this was on rough dirt tracks.

And yes, they are very strong
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Evo2 parts can be gotten from the USA site direct. Only hard parts to get seems to be wheels, especially fronts, the only fronts I've been able to get were the skinny ones (ultra Slim lines). I finnally switched the fronts over to losi (w/ mods to adapt) to allow a diversity of choices.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Schumacher cars are very durable. Unfortunately I haven't have a chance to drive one of the off road cars since driving a friends Cougar 2 back in the day. But if we decide to get a 4wd class going at our local off road track again, I will have to get myself the new CAT4K When I drove Losi cars, we did run some 4wd buggy and I ran a XXX4G+. I liked the handling, but the thing broke front suspension parts like it was nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the new Schumacher buggy does.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick111
The schumacher Cat 4K looks interesting, but it looks like it would only compete on flat, Euro tracks. Same with the Predator, Both of them have very low stances.

Hahaha!
obviously not been here then.
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Ok, ok, So I was wrong. I am allowed to wrong more than once right Ok I take that back. Every 30 seconds....

But still, Since I am from the other end of the "pond" many of the Euro track that we here are exposed to are astroturf tracks with carpet jumps, ( sounds cool, don't me wrong, I'd love to drive on something beside hard packed conrete/dirt stuff) And from the pictures of the 4K and Pred, they do look very low. You have to admit. They may have a large travel, but they do look a bit low.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick111
Ok, ok, So I was wrong. I am allowed to wrong more than once right Ok I take that back. Every 30 seconds....

But still, Since I am from the other end of the "pond" many of the Euro track that we here are exposed to are astroturf tracks with carpet jumps, ( sounds cool, don't me wrong, I'd love to drive on something beside hard packed conrete/dirt stuff) And from the pictures of the 4K and Pred, they do look very low. You have to admit. They may have a large travel, but they do look a bit low.
Ok lemme put it to you this way, since i didnt want to sound like i was mr.knowitall like, thats how good these cars are, the handling capabilities on these cars and the ride over the rough are so good that you dont need to set them so high. Does that answer your question?
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #30
Tech Addict

say no more !

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/south.../DSCF1999.html
oople is offline   Reply With Quote