R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #91
Tech Initiate

The car looks pretty and all but a lot of things are questionable...

Being a mechanical engineer, here's my take on the M1:

part 1 - Some guys run AA nimh cells. I wonder if the box is big enough.

part 2 - With the center diff assembly dead center, the car is probably gonna be heavier on the left because the engine will have to sit further away from the centerline. Most other cars have the center diff offset a few mm to the right. The brake linkage will be a bitch (or even impossible) to adjust f/r brake bias.

part 3 - Those arms look strong in bending loads but probably have the torsional stiffness of a loaf of bread. Spares can't be cheap either.

part 4 - Steering looks ok. I got nothing for this part.

part 5 - I dunno about you guys but sometimes when I drive I flip over. Seems like the tank would be susceptible to crash damage since it's exposed up top, and that tank doesn't look like a cheap part either. The pressure line looks like it could get ripped out. Plus, where do you stick the racing number which normally goes on the windshield? Race directors are gonna bitch for sure.

part 6 - OOOh dust free gearboxes! Never seen that before!

part 7 - Lower shock mounts are in single shear. That's fine for on-road cars but I dunno about 1/8 off-road. Hope it lasts the main.

part 8 - The hub carrier camber link is also in single shear. Axle boots are nice though.

part 9 - Offset shock mounts will induce side loads on the shock. The piston will be constantly scraping the inside wall of the shock body.

part 10 - Depending on the friction material they're using it could be a bitch to have a repeatable diff setting. If you bottom out the set screw and can feel a definite "bottom" then count the turns (like a ball diff) then I guess it would be ok. But if the material is mushy, it'll be hard to get consistency from one diff to another. What do you write on a setup sheet? "Adjust until it feels like a diff filled with 5000?"

part 11 - With as many holes there are cut out of the chassis, I hope 3mm is thick enough. I dunno how the chassis can be called a "heat dissipation design" when it's got far less surface area than any other chassis, and some of that surface area is covered in lexan. Remember, total surface area is what aids heat transfer, not a couple of machined slots.

The M1 could very well perform as good as it looks, but it could also be an RC Anna Kournikova - sexy as hell but doesn't win.
hayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #92
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dont know how well the car will perform but im tired of everbody and their mama coming out with an 1/8 buggy and if you look at any buggies out from about 5 feet away you wouldnt be able to tell them apart. They all are the EXACT same designs with little differences here and there.

If you want a FOR SURE care that is known get you a SP2 or MBX5

But if you want to try some new and different cars i suggest this one or the 8ight.

the m1 has a lot of ideas and they put a lot of thinking and testing (over 2 years) into their buggy so I think it will be ok. I know for a 100% fact i will get one.
TMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #93
Tech Addict

hayabusa,

appreciate your comments but im pretty sure they have a few engineers on their staff too.

1. If someone is running AAs im pretty sure they would care less about how it performs on the track cause most likely they are a basher.

2. I think the brake linkage is WAY better than the current design. the current one is outdated and like they say, most dont set them right. Im sure there will be a way to set bias.

3. I feel the arms will be as bulletproof as any other car and expensive.

4. Steering looks off the hook! silky smooth i bet with 8 ball bearings

5. even if you flip and land wrong on any buggy its possible to crack a fuel tank. They are not really protected by anything but the body and im sure it will be the same case here.

6. but have you seen top loading gear boxes before all with quick release system?

7. shocks have me a little worried since the sit a little lower than the a-arms but they say they have done 4+ hour endurance testing...

8. no problem here.

9. i dont see how you feel the piston wouldnt opperate smoothly... more details please.

10. yeah, i need more details on the adjustable diff deal. with the quick release diffs seems like it would be easier to change the oil quick but just turning a set screw a half turn to go up 500 in oil sounds good too.

11. Chassis is off the hook. They make the exact same one almost for the Mugen with carbon fiber inserts and it works very well.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

they should have made the chasis inserts carbon fiber on this one too, anything clear is going to scratch up and look like poo after a couple of runs, not to mention most clear plastics fog up when they have fuel split on them for any sort of extended period of time,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf24
they should have made the chasis inserts carbon fiber on this one too, anything clear is going to scratch up and look like poo after a couple of runs, not to mention most clear plastics fog up when they have fuel split on them for any sort of extended period of time,
They left room for aftermarket option parts.
If you want c/f plates gonna cost you $$$
They are presently busy with range of option parts for the M1.
So for the BLInG boys dont worry there will be BLING parts available also.

Guess we will have to wait for the release and car to get into some racers hands to get feed back.
Wether feed back is good or bad we will know in time.
To all the pessimists ,go hug a Losi ! ...
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #96
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I kinda like the design of the buggy...looks really good on paper...hope it'll not end up like the Tamiya Avante...i remembered the Avante looked really good on paper..but it couldnt perform at all on the track...

I'm neither a Mod nor a Rocker. I'm a Mocker.

Viper R/C Solutions | Atomic Carbon CR2 LWB | Darth Tray | Losi 8IGHT 2.0-E | Tamiya TRF801X-E
Funkymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymojo
I kinda like the design of the buggy...looks really good on paper...hope it'll not end up like the Tamiya Avante...i remembered the Avante looked really good on paper..but it couldnt perform at all on the track...
Well that's not necessarily true. I used to own one, and ended up raking up quite a few victories with that car, but I'll also freely admit that it had more than its share of teething troubles (the aluminum rods bent far too often, problematic front suspension, etc.)

In the end, the M1 will probably do alright, but it will need considerable backing from TM in the way of set-up guidelines and parts support... The big question is, will it be up to the same measure as the Mugens/Kyoshos?
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMizzle
1. If someone is running AAs im pretty sure they would care less about how it performs on the track cause most likely they are a basher.
How 1/8 offroad do you race? It's very common to see guys running 5 AA's as a receiver pack around my area? I have 5 GP 2800's in my SP2 right now.

I ran the G4 for about a year and a half and was very impressed by it's performance. I'm sure the M1 will do well, as I am sure it will have it's bumps along the way.

Dennis Richey did you get my email I sent you last week?
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #99
Tech Addict

I thought he meant a 4 cell AA pack like the ones that come in RTRs.

I am thinking the M1 will run the Flat pack instead of the hump pack style to keep it flat. Maybe they will include one like XRAY did, but i know for a fact that Team Magic makes a flat and hump themselves.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #100
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Well guys,

The final article is writen and we should be seeing these hit the street soon.
I am very curious to see it perform.
http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/newsf...11181316-01720
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

finally three tough choices for my ride for next season, losi, magic, associated. i didnt have kyosho or mugen in there wow. 1/8 has finally blown up. go hobby, go. lol. any news on the associated 1/8. i cant find a thread on it.
superslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #102
Tech Adept

Yea Jake I got it. still a little early yet.
Motorman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #103
Tech Master

Cool, I look forward to it.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #104
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Well, we have pics of the beast, would be great if we could see a video :

I really like all the black stuff ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #105
Tech Master

Yeah, a little weary of the shock mounting, but I want one. Nice work TM.