R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster
Default whats your guy's input on the new lipo technology

i have always been into nitro but with the new lipo stuff coming out it makes getting into electric seem to me way less of a hassle i had always seen everything on zapping and peaking and expensive chargers to me lipo just seems the way to go.
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

My veiw is that once they get the cars to be balanced with lipos...that is when they will really see some serious improvments...

The B4 with lipo is even a bit off balanced...You have to add a bit of weight to the front of the buggy as since the rear is so much heavier that it would have the front always coming up too fast...

But once they get Roar & IFMAR approval than we see some new designs for them..but as far as runtime...nothing touches the Lipo's
Heck I have two lipo reciever packs, one for Buggy and Truggy...Love it...Run time is close to 2 hours strait...
I use Lipo is my Helios radio...
Lipos are here to stay...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have thenm for my b4 and T4. They are simply great. Runs are consistent and very low battery maintenance. Saftey is getting better and well known. The punch is out of this world and my packs drive the same throughout. Lates NIMH take away some advantage but I have 8000 MAH. I am dieng for some 10 min mains. Anything over that is usually just spreading out the positions or a race of pure attrition that i have seen at my club with 8th scale.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

i love em....got 1 in my heli.....they last ok but i dont get y are tehy so soft???......o and theyre too expensive for me lol
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster

where can i find one of these lipo reciever packs?
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

EH, don't care.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

The Receiver & Transmitter packs from VXR Racing are available through TKO Competition Development. There's a direct link below.

TKO Competition Development-VXR Li-Po Products

TKO carries Li-Po packs, chargers, regulators, and cell balancers in the near future.

SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

what i have read on them they sound great.i just dont like the price tag on most of them.and having to have another charger.but how knows i may invest in some myself one day
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

There are advantages and disadvantages, in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons.

Advantages:
Lighter weight than NiMH pack of similar voltage, increases power to weight ratio
Maintains higher average voltage, combined with increased capacities you can get by with fewer packs
Does not require extensive maintenance to maintain performance, periodic balancing only - no discharge / equalize cycles and associated equipment
Minimal self discharge - charge on Monday and race the following Sunday without having to re-peak

Disadvantages:
Current chassis' designed around Nickel cells, though this seems to affect on-road disproportionately
Lighter weight - can cause balance issues which may require addition of ballast thus negating weight savings
Requires different charge algorithm, not all chargers compatible

Yes, LiPo packs cost a little more. However if it's possible to get two to three runs from one pack with consistent performance, they really aren't any more expensive than your average matched NiMH packs.

I believe the current commonly held belief that LiPos are inherently less safe than NiMH cells is due in large part to misinformation and lack of knowledge. If charged using an appropriate charger with the correct settings and used in a manner that does not exceed the packs recommended discharge capabilities they are very safe. They're not going to explode in a horrific fireball if you look at them the wrong way.
JakeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

You guys do realize these people just don't want a law suit. I mean, honestly. I'm pretty sure they can cause cancer in the state of california as well and only in the state of california.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i ran lipo in my BK2 this weekend, i ran one qualifer with the lipo, and one with a traditional 3300, handleing was basically the same, the balance wasn't affected much at all, the only difference was with the lipo it was more agile since its lighter, and had sooo much more punch, then i ran the same lipo pack again in the main, didn't have to top it up or anything, lipo is awsome, and when you add brushless to it, it makes for a very nice, fairly low maintenece car to run,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSYNTH25
The Receiver & Transmitter packs from VXR Racing are available through TKO Competition Development. There's a direct link below.

TKO Competition Development-VXR Li-Po Products

TKO carries Li-Po packs, chargers, regulators, and cell balancers in the near future.

where is TKO located? just wondering where it would be shipping out of, thanks,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

Charlotte, NC, USA....

SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote