R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default trans slipping

This question may cover other makes, but after sitting for a few years my gold tub RC10 buggy's trans slips badly during take off. I was looking for a reason and a quick fix. Is it because the spring was left tightened on the differential, or do I need to take apart the trans and rebuild it?
Thanks for your time!
Hot90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot90
I was looking for a reason and a quick fix.

get a new car.

I'm sure if you rebuild the diff it will be fine. I wouldn't run the car because I don't think you can find parts for it.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Rowdyray Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdyray

Parts are still available. However, any of the original white parts are now made in black. If you do choose to run it, I would do it carefully. Check ebay, they are going for a good penny in original condition. It might just be worth it to keep it as a shelf queen.

As for an answer to your question. I would take apart the slipper assembly. Parts may have become glazed or hardened from sitting. The spring may also be compressed, but I doubt that's why it's slipping. Team Associated has the manuals on their site I believe, and I found several through google that are dedicated to the RC10. Any older reputable hobby shop should still have A/E manuals, with parts on hand and/or internet access to the parts. My LHS has most in stock.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AE guy

I'm afraid you cannot produce results with a relic like that. I'm also afraid with an rc car that old, the high tech junkies on here that strive for new technology won't really be able to back track easy enough to provide a quick fix on an ancient buggy.

An rc car never felt like a collectible to me, so I would take apart that diff. and get that fixed. Can't really see you still having problems after a total rebuild like that. Although if you do I doubt your in luck of fixing it all together. Like said before ebay would solve the problem of locating the artifacts to that thing.
AE guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

if you wanna keep it sor sentimental reasons then fix it and put it in a box or something...but if you wanna bash or race...sell that joker on ebay and use that 150 or so on something more current...but that thing is a critical link in the evolution of production racing kits...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your time guys.

I'm not "racing" with this car, I just dug it out because I recently got my nine year old son his first car and he wanted me to run with him. I bought the car kit in '89 and after having it about a month I took it back apart and installed a complete bearing kit in it. Then I added a Kyosho 360PT motor. It goes pretty good for a relic.

I can't imagine something being worn out or broken in the trans because it's never been beaten or wrecked. I'll look on ebay and see what I can find.

Appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Tech Regular

If it is the original, ie: six gear type tranny, then all u gotta do is put some diff grease on the balls in the spurgear but if it is a stealth tranny then yah, you'll havta breakiit down and rebuild the diff.
all parts for a stealth are still interchangable, like the diff balls and bearings (gears have changed as in the number of teeth) and if it's the original then they used 1/8" balls, still used in the diff of pan cars.
Anything else?...
Dave
PlainOleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Dave,

You are the man! The car is all original and I've got the original box and all instruction booklets to walk me through any service that I need to perform.

It sounds like you're familiar with these things. While I'm at it, is there any test I can perform to see if the shocks need to be rebuilt or serviced in any way? Is there an electronic speed control that you would recommend to replace the original resistor?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Tech Regular

The shocks should be smooth. ie: no air in them, Not leaking, and smooth. If you take the springs off and simply push the shaft in and out, you should be able to tell if they are good but I was thinkin' as long as they are not leaking, they are probably fine.
ESCs are every where and it depends on wut Ur gonna do wif it. For kickin' around the street or just playin', I like the Novak Super Rooster (no Motor limit & reverse) but really anything with reverse should do. As long as U ain't runnin' a modified motor otherwise U will need one that kin handle the motor U got.
PlainOleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

i would just buy a new vehicle dude...get a mini T or sumthing.... there sick fun..
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Dave,

Thanks for the tech tips. The car runs like new again! As far as speed it's dead even with my sons new Evader. I may have to look into a motor upgrade! I'll start shopping for an ESC.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to AE guy
Thumbs up

ouch, if that evader is beating an associated no matter how old it is I'm disappointed lol

Hot, all I can say is that if your getting into the sport seriously, go brushless. You have the option of LRP/Reedy or Novak, which you can view the dispute in the t4/b4 forum on the last page if you like.

Brushless is the answer! If not then I would grab a cheap lrp a.i. bullet (no limit esc) and throw in a 12T motor of choice (Trinity or Reedy probably) and that car will be flying ahead of the evader hopefully
AE guy is offline   Reply With Quote