R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is it just me, or does the EVO4 RB have zero front kickup?
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Hi mate, I have some photos of the durango 2wd on my site from the Euros last year. Reinhard was using it in practice but only one guy kept with it for racing (you have to get the chassis marked so can't change once racing has started).
The normal B4 was the safe choice for them I guess.

The diff covers seem to be moulded plastic ?? I guess they are just off the touring car but look tough.. I was talking to them today and they are redoing most of the car, its not been raced properly yet, this is just an early build and they had 2 of the cars. The chassis is narrow, probably the only cars I have seen narrower are the Durango and Slim4.
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni
Is it just me, or does the EVO4 RB have zero front kickup?
"changes to the front end as well as all the CF are planned"
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #49
Tech Master

i guess it was just me then. the car looks really good in proto form though

btw jimmy you have two sets of bately 4wd pics on your site.

Last edited by Chris Jarosz; 05-21-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Chris Jarosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #50
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's the deal so there is absolutely no misunderstanding about the 501X.
1. The car you've just seen from the Shizuoka show is a "Testing Prototype" To keep costs down you research existing layouts and build and test off that. Once you find the strengths and weaknesses on existing layouts you work from there. Can you imagine the development costs if you rapid prototyped the whole car? It would never see the market.
2. I assure everyone that once the testing phase is complete the final product will look very different from what you see now.
3. The 4WD IFMAR title is our goal
4. Should be fun trying
5. Opps I almost forgot. The drive train from the prototype car is from the TA-05 touring sedan.
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #51
Tech Rookie

well i have been surffing the threads for some time now and theres all ways some one saying that the new cars are clones but if you think about it how many ways can some one make it theres all raedy a good amount of cars out the so you have to go very far to get a new ideah. and i heard about 10 people say that the yoke it a master peace so if you your self was going to make a car wouldnt you use ideahs from the best.
bad ST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 AM   #52
Tech Master

Firstly, that isn't a B4 slipper assembly, that is Tamiya's, go check out the pics of the DF-03 slipper assembly... and the centre bulkhead, why do something different when someone elses design is so effective (plagirism is flattery in subtle form) and it allows you to alter slipper tension on the one side, and one-way drive effectiveness on the other.

With the cost of making moulds, I don't blame them for firstly using components that they know DO work. and as we all know, Tamiya would NEVER release a car with other makes components onboard.

Why don't we all get excited that Tamiya are looking at coming back into off-road rather than slating them for 'copying' another design. And big manufacturers do the same, when they know a certain concept/layout work, they all use it give or take.

And I was going to enjoy this thread, ended up skipping over loads of 'he said this' posts.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #53
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why are you adding reasons why Tamiya is using Yokomo parts, when the pictures clearly show these are definately not Yokomo parts. The Tamiya guy posted that the drivetrain if from the TA05 sedan.
Muswagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muswagon
Why are you adding reasons why Tamiya is using Yokomo parts, when the pictures clearly show these are definately not Yokomo parts. The Tamiya guy posted that the drivetrain if from the TA05 sedan.
Erm, did I say they were Yokomo, no, I said they used the same principle. And they are NOT TA-05 drivetrain parts, I have a TA-05 and apart from the identical length belts that is as far as it goes.

the problem with this thread, people forget the last sentence they read.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #55
Tech Regular

what I find interesting is that they are showing this car at some kind of expo, and its ovbiously not all tamiya... why?

this car is aimed at racers, top level racers at least, and yet they are showing is that their 'prototype' is very similar looking to the Yokomo BX, using BJ4 front wishbones and carriers, Losi steering knuckles, who knows what wheels it has on it??? what does this say?

I think it just reinforces the fact that the Yokomo has a good layout? and also that the BJ4 front arms, carriers and Losi knuckles are really good.

neither of those 2 things are favourable to Tamiya... why show the car?

to me, this is the kind of 'mule' that should be ragged around a test track behined closed doors, its not something that should be shown on a stand at a model show.

thats just my opinion
Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Its aparently to guage interest chris. They wont develop it further and spend money on it without some interest.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Can't wait for the world's next year in 4WD, with some of the biggest hitters in the RC world stepping up to the plate. As jimmy has said chris i think it is to gauge peoples interest, irespective of what parts the protatype uses if it's got the Tamiya badge on it people are going sit up and listen. You only have to look at what they have done in the last 5 years in touring cars.. Just waiting for Xray to come out with something
stegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #58
Tech Master

Chris, they are Tamiya wheels.

They have made the effort by producing machined bulkheads, layshaft carrier, slipper/one way assembly etc... and the threaded shocks are an indicator to. from the looks of it, this has been used (writing on the inside of the wheel indicating compound or something, and there is dirt in there.

I would agree with Jim though, it is a BIG plunge to take into top level off-road.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #59
Tech Regular

I guess you are right about generating and guaging interest, but I 'see' other things from them showing a car like that.

does it also show up that that DarkImpact as having the 'wrong' drive train?

I guess Tamiya know what they are doing though, can't really fault them with their 'lack of success' in the past, they are the giants of the model world really, both racing and 'sport'
Old 05-23-2006, 02:25 AM   #60
Tech Master

Not sure on the drivetrain Chris, I mean I had thought they had ignored/dumped their shaft tourer and left realy the budget cars to that, but then they go about and bring out an Evo 5 showing that they are still working on it. I don't think the DI in it's current form will ever get to TRF status but I do think it might go the Evo route.

To be honest, I am just glad they are looking at off-road in a serious light again.