R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #31
Tech Master

i never said it was a clone i said it looks exactly (note the word exactly, not CLONE, they are two different words that ARE NOT the same.) like a Yok but with Bj4 arms and spindles, then after i looked at pictures of both courtesy of muswagon. someone else said that it was "a blantant copy of the Yok" . now i will admit that i was wrong and should have done some research before but dont accuse me of not knowing about things because i do and i made a mistake that was followed by a few more. maybe you should that that into account before you accuse someone of that ESPECIALLY if you dont know who that person is, and if you dont like what people do or say on message boards then either PM them or ignore it.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oh, and just in case things weren't already interesting enough on the Tamiya side. First with the Dark Impact, now with this belt-driven proto...

...Looks like they're also testing a *COMPLETELY DIFFERENT* chassis using a more conventional touring/Lazer ZX-5 layout with the motor/battery straddling a center shaft drive. About the only thing I found "neat" was the clear gearbox covers.

Alas, if this isn't a huge airplane banner saying "TAMIYA WANTS TO OWN EP 4WD OFFROAD" I don't know what is.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep, if this TRF does as well as their on road TRF......AND if they have Jun and Jacobson driving the DI and TRF buggies, look out.
Muswagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #34
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude19641
i never said it was a clone i said it looks exactly (note the word exactly, not CLONE, they are two different words that ARE NOT the same.) like a Yok but with Bj4 arms and spindles, then after i looked at pictures of both courtesy of muswagon. someone else said that it was "a blantant copy of the Yok" . now i will admit that i was wrong and should have done some research before but dont accuse me of not knowing about things because i do and i made a mistake that was followed by a few more. maybe you should that that into account before you accuse someone of that ESPECIALLY if you dont know who that person is, and if you dont like what people do or say on message boards then either PM them or ignore it.
Yeah, "exactly" and "clone" are so far apart, it definitely corrects the fact that you were completely wrong.

Why would I have to know you as a person to know that you are "exactly" like every other board member who flocks to a new car thread to talk about how it looks like another car. Its completely unproductive, it doesn't inspire any productive conversation, and all it leads to is people sniping at each other. If you think a car is "exactly" like another car, so what. Do you own either company? So....again.....why would it matter to you. It just doesn't make sense why people take the time to rip a car before they know ANYTHING about it. And that was "exactly" what was happening here. (Note the word "exactly" )

As for the PMing, personally I've always found it a little cowardly when people PM someone to say they have a problem with something while at the same time acting as though nothing has happened in public. If I have a problem with something someone says or does, I'll let them know openly. No secret PM's needed.

And believe me, I would love to ignore when people show up to drop words like "clone" or "exactly" when looking at a new car they know NOTHING about. All board member would love to ignore it. BUT its kinda hard to ignore when people like you show up EVERY time a new car is introduced.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If this is the final version that Tamiya decides to take to production, I wonder what kind of price tag this thing will have with it. It definitely doesn't look cheap.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #36
Tech Addict

I know someone who saw this a few months ago and it was quite different, so, I guess its still evolving and probably wont be released for a while yet, from what I was told they are showing it now to guage interest in the project.
Which is why there is nothing new on this car I guess, its a one off project car with bits from all over the place.

I certainly think it looks like a BX in plenty of ways, thats nothing to do with them copying it as such, I don't think tamiya will release a car with BJ4x4 front and rear arms and a b4 slipper . Its just a prototype, so lets all love it.
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

I just hope it's not more expensive than the Yokomo, around 400 $ is probably the price itll land at.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If its $400, and its that "close" to the Yoke, I think the Tamiya is my next buggy.

However, that Yoke is simply an engineering marvel.
Muswagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you Darkseid and Muswagon for injecting some much needed reason into this thread

I was certainly not defending Tamiya, just pointing out (as Darkseid said) that it's very annoying having people go on and on about manufacturers copying one another, without really having any evidence to prove it

My personal view is that we wont see this car released anytime soon, as others have said, it is nothing more than a test mule atm - using already proven ideas from other cars (B4 and BJ4 suspension) whilst Tamiya fine tune areas such as the chassis and drivetrain layout.

I also believe that this ISN'T the rumoured TRF 406X that was being tested in Japan last year, for the simple reason that the 406 prototype was concealed in a B4 body - and I don't think a B4 body will fit this current prototype, judging by the pics.

With the fact that there is now 3 Tamiya 4wds in various stages of release/prototyping (see oople site for the Evo4 / Lazer ZX5 hybrid) this at least indicates that Tamiya are gearing up for an off-road assault - probably just in time for the 2007 worlds

As for price, considering how expensive the 415MSX is, then a similarily equipped off roader would have to be a bit more - possibly US$500
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Well considering the Yok BX is $520 at speedtech anything less that $500 for this Tamiya wouldn't be too bad really. Mabye Tamiya will do a shaft drive and belt drive buggy, just like they did with touring.

If Tamiya gets Surikarn and reinhard off the asphalt and into the dirt I think that a world championship could definately be within reach for them!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut
If Tamiya gets Surikarn and reinhard off the asphalt and into the dirt I think that a world championship could definately be within reach for them!
Mark does run offroad 4wd but he runs for durango. he got 39th at the worlds last year but with a little more offroad practice he could probably give the ryans a run for their money
Old 05-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I'm betting Tamiya has enough money to take Mark away from Durango.

Last edited by WheelNut; 05-21-2006 at 12:00 PM.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #43
Tech Master

i bet
Old 05-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #44
Tech Addict

Isn't the durango a hobby ? Wouldn't think he got paid anything. Its an inoffensive choice to race a buggy that can't be sold when he is sponsored by Tamiya. Much better than him racing a Yokomo for example.

The buggy on my site has a name I was told today, EVO4 RB, not the most original or interesting of names but I guess its descriptive of what it is.

EVO4 RB prototype
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #45
Tech Master

jimmy- the durango cant be sold to public cause Gerd doesnt want do deal with all the work. his team is quite small with only a couple US racers. Hara, Mark, Joe Pillars all race for him(this isnt his full team but it isnt just the US team). i would agree that they wouldnt get paid much since theres no income. the also make a conversion for the T4 and B4 that make it saddle pack. ill try and dig up a pic

the EVo4 looks great. the only thing im worried about is the diff covers, they look to be made of Lexan but they might just be prototype. the plastic outdrives also look prone to damage in mod but since they were running a mod it looks tough.