Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry transmission problems

heres the deal, nylon SUCKS when it comes to high torque (but who doesnt know this) and my delimma is this: now that i have replaced my idler gear (for those who remember me... i posted here mid december about it) from nylon to aluminum, THAT has caused my differential gear (also nylon) to strip, but what makes this bad, and worth making a topic about is, there isnt an aluminum replacement. i have e-mailed duratrax and they say that they do not make one (for the BX, but they do the nitro ST, which is supposedly "too big"), and that i should ask around in forums for solutions.

where can i find a replacement gear for it that ISN'T plastic?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy

well, it seems like i cant get any help here, or that no one knows... oh well i guess i'll try another forum, or try it myself (buying an ST tranny and putting it in place of my BX tranny)
anyone have anything to say i'll gladly listen, good or bad...
Old 05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is a Duratrax evader BX a close enough copy of a Losi XX buggy that you could substitute a Losi tranny for you duratrax? I'm not convinced all manufacturors use plastics of the same grade. I have hours of runtime on my old Losi xx buggy with a 19 turn motor and good batteries and there is not a sign of wear on the gears, let alone a stripped gear.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

i'm not too sure, anyone else out there to back this up?

if not, i'm ordering the ST tranny casing, a rebuild kit for the BX diff servo (all parts needed minus the diff gear) and the alum diff gear to try this out... its only like $25 for it all so theres no real loss there. along with that i'm getting a replacement nylon diff gear just in case this doesnt work. i can give the ST stuff to my brother who is getting an ST.

anyone know of anything else i could get to help my problem?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are aware the ST might have a different (higher) ratio than the buggy transmission?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

very much so, yes, and also i found out that the electric evader series are identical in parts when it comes to gear ratio, its the nitro evader that has a different (bigger) tranny. so i decided against getting those parts and ordered 3 replacement nylon ones.

still open for discussion, i still need to find a useable/suitable replacement for this thing.